Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2023, 06:17 AM   #41

Making progress but a long way to go.

Old 09-11-2023, 08:58 AM   #42

I'll be honest, I didn't even notice that you converted to a round headlight until I looked at it a third time (went to the start of the thread to catch up). I'm very curious to see how it ends up.

You mentioned earlier in the thread about 'learning a lot about painting plastic', I'm about to do that, any tips?
redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 01:06 PM   #43

Biggest tip I can give is if you have the opportunity use a practice piece of the same material. I ran into different reactions to the paint and the prep wipes.
Old 09-12-2023, 05:17 AM   #44

Makes sense, thanks! Did you end up with a good combo of prep and paint brands/types that you could share?
redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 07:47 AM   #45

Simple alcohol and water worked best for me on the prep after cleaning the area a couple times. As far as paint goes my first try was rust oleum for practice. Had the worst reactions, ended up using an automotive paint but still going to redo it now that I have a spray gun and better paint possibilities.
Old 09-15-2023, 07:23 AM   #46

People have been doing great things with the boxster and these two were my inspiration to try something i have never done before.

I have zero automotive training or skill. Just want to see what i could do. It is almost time to for primer so thought i would share the progress thus far.

Old 10-17-2023, 05:16 AM   #47

First time painting with a gun vs spray cans. Not professional but I like what i have accomplished.

Old 10-19-2023, 06:59 AM   #48

Got my new to me wheels figured out. The lips or not great but the price was right lol

Old 10-30-2023, 04:53 AM   #49

Mostly painted, still have the bonnet to do then put it all back together. Nothing is bolted in on this picture i just wanted to see it all together, even dirty lol. Paint is a 5 foot job right now, I am hoping when I cut and buff it will look decent. I have learned a bit during this project and have years before i make amateur level.

Old 11-09-2023, 11:47 AM   #50

Cut and buff is not an easy task to get right. 5 foot paint job I have learned to like because i have hit my limit on trying to make it better. Ended up shooting another coat of clear to get it back to poor from horrible. I have to finish correcting my mistakes on the bonnet then put it back together. Final assembly hopefully next week along with new to me wheels.
Old 11-09-2023, 12:11 PM   #51

I'm not sure I've ever painted anything that I was totally satisfied with. I really like that color- what is it?
gonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 02:42 PM   #52

I appreciate knowing I am not the only one but this thing is bad. The paint is listed below, saw it used on dipyourcar and fell in love with it.

Kp pigments zbr hypershift.

Last edited by Outkasted; 11-09-2023 at 02:49 PM.
Outkasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 10:50 AM   #53

Amazing work man!
spdrcr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 05:56 PM   #54

I appreciate it. It’s far from show quality but it has been fun bringing an idea to life.
Old 11-25-2023, 11:32 AM   #55

I will Be the first to admit, my measurements were completely off. I understand now why you should have your wheels in the sizes you want to build out to instead of widening the car and trying to make wheels fit. Rebuilding 3 piece wheels however turned out to be easier than I thought it would be. Next summer I am going to have to go back and change quite a few things but right now I am happy with the direction. Hoping to have it in a drivable state before I hack it up again, lol.

Name:  IMG_0768.jpeg
Views: 103
Size:  195.8 KB

Last edited by Outkasted; 11-25-2023 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-30-2023, 04:57 AM   #56

Getting my rear wheels balanced has proved to be more difficult than i thought it would be. Tried a few shops and none could get it done because the 18x13 won't fit their balancer. Going to work on moving the radiators forward up front for wheel clearance there until i find a place to do the rears.

Old 12-01-2023, 12:56 PM   #57
Administrator

The fitment looks great! Once you have the wheels dialed in I'm sure it will feel like it's all coming together more. Keep the update coming!
Matt at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 06:35 AM   #58

Thanks, but the fitment is where it is. I made the fender wider than I wanted in the rear. My own fault, I didn’t have the wheels when I was doing them so it was kind of a guess. To anyone wanting to widen the front you can use a metric 8 rod coupler to put on the stud and push the radiator bracket outward. Gave me the clearance I needed. Now I have to figure out fender liner modifications to fit because I don’t think I want to drive without them. I think this week I am going to put it all together and see the finished work before tackling the liners.
Old 12-05-2023, 12:16 PM   #59

Question if anyone wants to give input. My rear end is as good as I can get right now. I will likely redo it next summer but wondering what I should do with the gaps between taillights. I thought about doing this

Name:  IMG_0783.jpeg
Views: 89
Size:  331.6 KB

But I don’t have the skill to create that. So I am thinking mesh to fill the empty spots or maybe just leave it empty. Thoughts? My car

Name:  IMG_0782.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  361.3 KB
Old 12-15-2023, 04:54 AM   #60

I have spent a bit of time trying to make the front fender liners fit. This is not going so well. I am still working on it, then i need to figure out the rear. While working on the front i have noticed my tires stick out about 2 inches pass the bumper on the front but are inside the wheel well. I am debating on adding a piece to cover these two inches.

my car

similar pic i found
Name:  similar.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  34.3 KB

Last edited by Outkasted; 12-15-2023 at 04:57 AM.