Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2020, 12:12 PM   #1

In the process of buying an S that supposedly had the IMS bearing done, need advice..

Greetings,

So I'm in the process of purchasing a 2002 Boxster S and I'm thrilled. I have been around these cars for years, but I'm now in the bit of a pickle with a car.

So I purchased this particular S in Phoenix while I live in Dallas. I was unable to get a PPI for the car due to COVID. This car has spent the past decade at two service shops, and lived in California up until the end of 2019. The service history indicates that the IMS bearing was done along with the clutch at 60k miles in 2012, and the shop that did the work in California says that it is a great car and maintained by a great owner. The car currently has 82k miles today.

HOWEVER, I just got a phone call from the other shop it went to (albeit, more infrequently) and they said they saw metal shavings during an oil change in May 2019 and sent a sample to Blackstone Labs. Blackstone said that the metal shavings weren't that bad, and that they would check back after 3,600 miles.

Do you guys have any advice or way for me to know definitively whether the IMS bearing was done? If the bearing was done once, will it have to be done again later?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Lawmacmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawmacmoore View Post
Greetings,

So I'm in the process of purchasing a 2002 Boxster S and I'm thrilled. I have been around these cars for years, but I'm now in the bit of a pickle with a car.

So I purchased this particular S in Phoenix while I live in Dallas. I was unable to get a PPI for the car due to COVID. This car has spent the past decade at two service shops, and lived in California up until the end of 2019. The service history indicates that the IMS bearing was done along with the clutch at 60k miles in 2012, and the shop that did the work in California says that it is a great car and maintained by a great owner. The car currently has 82k miles today.

HOWEVER, I just got a phone call from the other shop it went to (albeit, more infrequently) and they said they saw metal shavings during an oil change in May 2019 and sent a sample to Blackstone Labs. Blackstone said that the metal shavings weren't that bad, and that they would check back after 3,600 miles.

Do you guys have any advice or way for me to know definitively whether the IMS bearing was done? If the bearing was done once, will it have to be done again later?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
If it was done by a shop, there should be an invoice somewhere. If it is an LN retrofit and the shop was on top of their game, the VIN should be registered on LN's website.

The problem with claims that a retrofit was done is that without provenance in the form of paper work, contact with the shop that did it, or registration with LN, you can pretty much bet it is BS.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
If it was done by a shop, there should be an invoice somewhere. If it is an LN retrofit and the shop was on top of their game, the VIN should be registered on LN's website.

The problem with claims that a retrofit was done is that without provenance in the form of paper work, contact with the shop that did it, or registration with LN, you can pretty much bet it is BS.
I don’t have an invoice for the IMS bearing, but I do have a service sheet from the shop stating all the work they have done to the car which includes the IMS bearing. The shop also confirmed with me that they only use LN IMS bearings.
Lawmacmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:36 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Do you guys have any advice or way for me to know definitively whether the IMS bearing was done?
The shop said it was done ant that they use LN bearings, so... what is your real question?
You have to remove the transmission from the car to see the IMS bearing. Otherwise it is a matter of paperwork and trust.

On the 986 I just got, the seller wasn't sure what had been done with the IMS, but thought it had been done. I dug through the paperwork and found a shop work order that listed "Update IMS Bearing" and had a number: 10-0124-100
There was no other info other than the parts cost and labor. I searched "10-0124-100" and found that it was the part number of the original LN dual row ceramic bearing kit. I found out that bearing has a 6 year 75,000 mile service life.

As a 2002 model you originally had a single row bearing, so a different bearing kit would have been used. Check out this page and see if your car was registered (last six digits of your VIN in the search box)
Does my car have it already? – IMS Retrofit (My '99 that was done by a shop in Tulsa was registered. This recently purchased car was not. I still trust that the bearing was done as stated.)

Quote:
If the bearing was done once, will it have to be done again later?
The IMS Solution does not need to ever be replaced. All of the ball and roller bearing IMS retrofits do have a service life. Mostly 6 years or 75k miles.

Check out the various links at LN's pages. There's lots of factual info there. https://imsretrofit.com/ims-101/
https://lnengineering.com/products/ims-bearing-kits-for-porsche-m96-97-engines.html
Quote:
Blackstone said that the metal shavings weren't that bad, and that they would check back after 3,600 miles
Check back with a new sample in 3,600 miles. It may be IMS related or not. Could be less metal than a 15 year old Toyota generally sheds in an oil change interval... or not. Don't Panic.