Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2020, 08:48 PM   #1
Grayboxster

Can a bad clutch cause misfire

Hello guys.
Can a bad clutch cause misfire.
I have a 1997 base boxster with 5 speed manual transmission. I bought the car recently and mechanically was not in good shape. Clutch went to the floor soft once and I drove all the way home in 3rd gear. I then flushed clutch and brakes, put new spark plugs, coils, and change air filter. Car came to life and was driving good for 7K KM but recently clutch went out again and soft. The gear did not engage or disengage even pulling and pushing hard on gear. I then disconnected the battery thinking it might help rest computer and other electronics hoping clutch comes back to life. After reconnecting battery, I put the car in 3rd gear and started the engine while pushing on gas pedal and car started misfiring. The engine was perfect before the clutch went out and before I disconnected the battery. I have checked the oxygen sensors and all plugs and coils and all look good. I get misfire on 4, 5, 6 and the car dies after 15 to 30 seconds. I am thinking the cause of misfire is clutch. The car is in neutral and even without pressing on clutch, it starts and runs for few second and then dies. It could be the flywheel is stuck preventing the engine from spinning properly. The car appears to have the original clutch. The car currently has 120K KM or 75K miles. Please advise. Thanks

Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:58 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Welcome to the forum.

Have you considered posting your inquiry in the general forum? Likely you'll have better luck receiving responses.

You then can return to the New Member Introductions forum to tell us more about you and your car.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:19 AM   #3
Who's askin'?

Short answer: no. A bad clutch will not cause a misfire.

You've got several things going on here in your explanation of symptoms.

My guess? Disconnect your MAF sensor and see if it smooths out and runs. If it does, we've learned something.

In the meantime:
That you bled your clutch and then it worked fine for 7k, (that's 7000, not 7km, right? ) and then it suddenly exhibited same problem, well, that suggests you're on to something. But that the car starts without pushing the clutch down, well that suggests someone's been in there before you.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by maytag; 04-02-2020 at 05:21 AM.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:08 AM   #4

Garage
Removing your battery could reset the air fuel mix values in the ECU. If they were off quite a bit as matag suggested by a bad,failing MAF this might make the engine idle poorly for a number of miles. The pedal being soft after a fluid change and flush. If this is the same as when you purchase the car you could have a failing clutch cylinder or lines to it. Some how air must be getting into the system, if it's not affecting the brakes it is only in the clutch circuit, and most likely closer to the transmission.

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote