Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2019, 01:39 PM   #1

Athens, Ga., "Street Rat"

Hello, Hasbro here. I came over from GrassRootsMotorsports forum so some of you (Javelin, AAZCD) may be familiar with me. I'm in a rural area 20 miles from Athens towards Greenville, SC. I bought a 99 base 986 a couple of weeks ago from the Charlotte area that has been owned by a couple of GRM guys. 150,000 miles, a bit tired, ready for bushings, dampers, linkage, arms, etc.. It's had a couple of bumps so it's not a show queen. The motor/drive train feels very good.

My intention is to pull as much weight off, clean and tighten everything up, dyno tune to a mild level, and build for the corners. Street legal and not built to fit into any sanctioned group, so, lots of suspension leeway. Just a fun 986 for blasting around curvy country roads and occasional autoxing for suspension tuning and a trackday every now and then. I will custom fab a bikini type convertible. I would also like to play with using the frunk and trunk for aero development.

I hope I don't offend the purists and look forward to being an active member here. Since there isn't a specific build section here where do you recommend placing a build page for such a project?

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:31 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
AAZCD here, just back-tracked to the GRM posts to catch back up. That's a Dansk Sausage:

Welcome to the 986 Forum! For a build thread, it's pretty informal here, but you should go with the General Discussion section or the Show and Tell Gallery. The General Discussion is probably better visibility/more readers if you want help and advice.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:30 AM   #3

Thanks for the feedback! I've pulled 300+ lbs. off so far and can really feel the difference. About 150 to go, which will be slower ($). I have a basic body/aero design but there's no rush on that. A simple bar bumper for legal reasons and a simple top. Next steps will involve basic mechanical refreshing and analysis of mechanical health.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:21 AM   #4

Hope I don't get slapped for this (recently joined and already whining!). My intent is not intended to create discord, but to inform.

It took over a week to be accepted onto the forum. I'll take half of the blame because I was tired of waiting to get started on here and, frankly, went elsewhere to find info. Yesterday I posted a thread requesting input regarding a maintenance schedule and where to start. Where's my post? I'm ready to invest thousands of dollars in the coming years and also want to be a part of this community. I'll stop here and please understand that I am grateful for this forum and will be more so when/if it allows me to be active. If this post is the wrong way to go about expressing my concerns, shoot me a pm and I will delete it.

Thanks, Barry

Last edited by Hasbro; 09-26-2019 at 10:06 AM.