Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2019, 10:56 AM   #1

Suddenlty Boxster won't start can't get to engine

2003 986 Boxster S, manual 6 speed 37,000 miles, turns over but won't start after driving 20 minutes and parking the car. Outside air temp 71-72F or 21-22C Like my ex, she left me stranded.

About a month ago the red led on my key began to blink even when I wasn't pressing it. I thought it meant I needed a new battery so I put in a new Duracell CR 2032 battery. The light would activate when I pushed the button with the new battery but the remote would no longer work. I went on youtube, read the owners manual and followed the procedures to re-sync the key but to no avail. OK so I just locked and unlocked the the car with the key. Then after driving it for about 20 minutes and locking the door, I unlocked the door, the engine would turn over, but would not start. I had the car towed to my home as I live about 125 miles from the closest Porsche repair facility.

Today I tried to raise the top for the first time since the car wouldn't start, to get into the engine compartment and do some tests. Battery is fully charged, Hand brake pulled up, ignition switch on and nothing happened when I pushed the convertible top button. I even put my feet on the brake and clutch to to make sure. Nothing.

Did I somehow disable the system? Can I fix this myself?

TheMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
It sounds like you may have a problem with the immobilizer/central locking system. There is an electronic module mounted on the floor under the driver's seat. They get wet and corrode internally.
Check for moisture in the carpet padding under the seat. If that is your issue, there's plenty here on the forum that can discuss it.

Type this into a search: site:986forum.com wet immobilizer
and look thru the results.

If you need to get the top open, here's a video, but I wouldn't do all that before checking the immobilizer for moisture first: https://youtu.be/QOLhAR8bLio