Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2019, 05:55 AM   #1

Maximum mileage 986/7 you'd consider

Hello, Newbie here in the market for an 03-08 986/7 S. This will be my first Porsche, I've been an Audi owner for almost 20 years. I'm from the Northeast so a fair number of cars available from CT, MA, NY, and NJ. My question, what is the maximum mileage 986/7 you'd consider? This will be a fun car, I estimate 3-4K miles/year. My plan would be to keep the car forever (the Missus has agreed to a Boxster purchase this time .... not sure I'll be able to convince her again!). Most of the cars in my area are being sold through used car dealers so they have no clue beyond the CarFax about the car's history. I will get a PPI. So all things considered equal, not knowing a good history on any car, at what mileage would you not even bother test driving it and spending the $$ on a PPI.

Thanks in advance!

pedalguyeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:31 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalguyeric View Post
Hello, Newbie here in the market for an 03-08 986/7 S. This will be my first Porsche, I've been an Audi owner for almost 20 years. I'm from the Northeast so a fair number of cars available from CT, MA, NY, and NJ. My question, what is the maximum mileage 986/7 you'd consider? This will be a fun car, I estimate 3-4K miles/year. My plan would be to keep the car forever (the Missus has agreed to a Boxster purchase this time .... not sure I'll be able to convince her again!). Most of the cars in my area are being sold through used car dealers so they have no clue beyond the CarFax about the car's history. I will get a PPI. So all things considered equal, not knowing a good history on any car, at what mileage would you not even bother test driving it and spending the $$ on a PPI.

Thanks in advance!
Best wishes on the search. I know that mileage was no consideration when I was looking for that Jag, Merc, Bim. The Porsche caught my attention, and won. Mileage? Maybe a Honda?
Old 03-20-2019, 06:45 AM   #3

Garage
So many variables that's it's hard to give decent answer.
I will throw out a base line off 100-105k miles or less would be my limit if the car is well maintained and updated
I have been surprised at how many new members have joined buying 98,99,2000 cars with 110 - 120k miles on them. I personally wouldn't as I feel that after 120k miles it's going to be constant list of replacements (That is only my opinion) and $$$ budget is a factor of course.

My 02 box has 103+ thousand miles on it, no IMSB and original clutch and it runs great. I'm surprised how well it runs. I have done most of the typical replacements and I have been fortunate that the car hasn't left me stranded to date.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:59 AM   #4

I too wish you luck on your search. These are definitely fun cars and worth some effort to try and find one. For me, I focused on mileage of no more than 50k, S or Base didn't matter but the overriding factor above all was condition. Keep in mind this was several years ago. Finally found one at 46k, PPI indicated it was in great mechanical condition and the interior was a 10/10. Has been one of the most reliable cars I have owned and is my daily driver.

I paid $8k for it and I considered then, and still do, it to be a throw away car. The concern I would have for you now is like others have stated, the cars are really starting to get old. Even if you find lower mileage the parts are just worn out from time and age. Porsche parts are expensive and the labor, unless done yourself, is outrageous.

If you are looking for a project and have the bucks, I wouldn't let a slightly higher mileage car scare me off. Just spend the extra effort in having it thoroughly checked out probably beyond what a normal PPI might look for (compression, cam deviations, etc.) Good luck!
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #5

I think the answer depends on how you will use the car. Is it to be your DD or just a fun car for weekends. My '02s gets used as the latter. When I was looking I considered cars up to 80k miles. If I wanted to use the car for commuting, I might have preferred under 50k. But more than miles, you want good records of how the car was kept. Services done? Frequent oil changes?
Allegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:18 AM   #6

Garage
my desirable range would be about 35k min to 75k max. 20 year old cars with super low miles can be as problematic as a high mileage car. There are enough options out there that you should be able to find the right one for you.
2001 Boxster 986 (base) #414
-PCA GGR: Class Champion AX12 '18, '19, '20; CC06 '21; CC05 '22; PAX 5th '19, 3rd '20, '21, & '22
-PCA Zone 7: Class Champion P14 '18, '19; P02 '20; P-03 '22; PAX Champion '20 & '21
BrantyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #7

Garage
With some P owners reporting over 300K miles on their odometer it doesn't matter.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:55 PM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

I stand corrected. I was thinking MPG.

Carry on.