Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2018, 09:53 AM   #1

2002 Boxster S new owner

Hi! Just got an '02 Boxster S a couple weeks ago now and figured I should post up some pics and join the community.

So far I'm loving it, coming from having an S2000 most recently.

Took it to the dragon and now I'm in the market for some wheels and sticky tires - let me know your recommendations!

nakkinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:57 AM   #2

cool. 18" OZs from tire rack are (relatively) inexpensive, light, and strong. if you want oem, then the 18" my02's get a lot of respect, as do the 17" and 18" sport classics (all BBS). to get a good stance you'll have to run spacers in most cases, but the OZs come with pretty good offsets.

you'll get a lot of input on tires. i've had good luck w yoko ado8's (look cool, last long enough, good rain performance, sticky but can't last in a 20 minute sprint at the track). nt01 are stickier and keep their cool better in a 20 mnute sprint, but wear faster and have less rain performance. i am about to try some firestone indy's for the street - come well rated from tirerack and the price is good. currently running continental extremecontact dw as a street/rain tire, but no longer made, and i've not really pushed them so can't comment.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:59 PM   #3

Nice looking ride! Go check out the recent thread for tire recommendation, almost a war broke out! plenty of reccomendations. I think all brands were covered by now.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:43 AM   #4

Garage
Nice. I'd keep your eye out on craigslist, turbo twist 18's pop up fairly frequently.
2001 Boxster 986 (base) #414
-PCA GGR: Class Champion AX12 '18, '19, '20; CC06 '21; CC05 '22; PAX 5th '19, 3rd '20, '21, & '22
-PCA Zone 7: Class Champion P14 '18, '19; P02 '20; P-03 '22; PAX Champion '20 & '21
BrantyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Nice looking ride! Go check out the recent thread for tire recommendation, almost a war broke out! plenty of reccomendations. I think all brands were covered by now.
Thanks! Can you link the thread? Still figuring out which forums are most active. Hopefully I can read and not start another war!
Old 05-21-2018, 07:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
cool. 18" OZs from tire rack are (relatively) inexpensive, light, and strong. if you want oem, then the 18" my02's get a lot of respect, as do the 17" and 18" sport classics (all BBS). to get a good stance you'll have to run spacers in most cases, but the OZs come with pretty good offsets.

you'll get a lot of input on tires. i've had good luck w yoko ado8's (look cool, last long enough, good rain performance, sticky but can't last in a 20 minute sprint at the track). nt01 are stickier and keep their cool better in a 20 mnute sprint, but wear faster and have less rain performance. i am about to try some firestone indy's for the street - come well rated from tirerack and the price is good. currently running continental extremecontact dw as a street/rain tire, but no longer made, and i've not really pushed them so can't comment.
Those OZs look like a good deal. I think I will just get some new tires for my 17s for now and then keep a close eye on the forums/FB/CL to get some good used 18s.

In the past I had good look with Yokohama and Nitto, I'll see how the prices for those stack up. Ideally would like to keep 200 TW or higher for AutoX and wallet

Do spacers affect how the car feels? I've never run them before.