Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2016, 09:54 AM   #1

Thinking about a '99 Boxster

Hello,
I decided it's time to go back to a fun car (Driving an '06 Ford Escape now) and will be looking for a 986 (Will be looking at a '99 today actually!). I haven't done lot of research yet but was wondering about basic maintenance- I've always done my own oil changes, for example, and noticed that a 986 oil change could be over $100, so now I'm thinking I need to take it to a dealer for that? Are they doing anything special? I already saw a video on a 986 via youtube, looked like regular stuff to me although I might have to buy a torque wrench, no biggie. So are you all doing your own oil changes and stuff? I also read about brake jobs nearing $1000? I can't do that myself so it's a concern.
Any thoughts appreciated!

Mauiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:19 AM   #2

Thinking about '99

I too was at a similar point in life where it was getting too short not to have a little fun. So...took the Boxster plunge (2001 Base). The car was REALLY cheap and after reading this forum for months, the guys were so knowledgeable, helpful and friendly that I couldn't dare look at another make or model. Long story short is that these cars are relatively easy to work on for basic items. I'm no mechanic but have done fuel filter, spark plugs, tubes and O-rings, replaced coolant, oil change, transmission fluid change, air filters, radiator cleanings, relocated frunk cable, water pump, themostate and drive belt. If I can do it...anybody can. The only thing is that parts can be a little expensive but if you save on labor it's a wash.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:38 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauiguy View Post
...So are you all doing your own oil changes and stuff? I also read about brake jobs nearing $1000? I can't do that myself so it's a concern.
Any thoughts appreciated!
I had been working on other cars (my own) for many years before I got a Boxster and had the same concern. I have actually found it quite easy to work on compared to many other cars. Just put together a little differently. The brakes are actually the easiest I have worked on, but I did pick up a new tool when I flushed the brake fluid.

In fact, the Boxsters have been a good excuse to buy new tools as I proceed with more maintenance.
I have bought three 99s. Sold one and plan to keep two. A good year IMHO.

Rather than rambling on, I'll just tell you to browse topics and read the Forum. All the info you need has been posted already. Ask if you have trouble finding.

Edit: Oil changes can cost that much, but generally it's just a matter of buying about 9 quarts of your choice* full synthetic oil, a filter, and crush washer. For me, a bit over $60.
*Do not ask, "what is the best oil". It's like standing in a crowd outside a Trump Rally and asking who to vote for. You'll get opinions, but chances are someone will walk away bloody. Search and decide.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Last edited by 78F350; 05-05-2016 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Oil.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #4

Been reading almost all day and getting more scared, lol. Ok a couple things:

-I live in an apartment and won't be buying major/large tools, but I see some ramps will be necessary for an oil change.
-I'll get whichever oil the manual recommends, and I'm glad that the 986 only uses synthetic, I've used synthetic exclusively in all the cars I've owned ('cept that one time, I was so hurting for cash!)

But thanks, keep the opinions coming! Gonna go look at the car in a couple hours!
Old 05-05-2016, 03:22 PM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
For an apartment dweller, this might be a good jack from Harbor Frght. It can be partially disassembled easily for storage, and for it's capability and price, it's light.

For How to do most maintenance on a 986, the Pelican Parts tech articles are great. Pelican Parts is the forum sponsor, and the articles are included in: 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster -A mandatory purchase if you buy a 986 from a seller that doesn't give you a copy.

Happy hunting. If you have any reservations about buying a particular car, don't be afraid to walk away. There are plenty more and a better one will come along soon.

Last edited by 78F350; 05-05-2016 at 03:26 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #6

I just got back from looking at it, it's great! It's got 86k miles, is $6500 and cosmetically looks excellent. The only cosmetic negative was the stickshift leather hood thing, are those easy to replace? It's gotta go, for sure. It's weird that it is in such bad shape compared to the rest of the car.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
For an apartment dweller, this might be a good jack from Harbor Frght. It can be partially disassembled easily for storage, and for it's capability and price, it's light.

For How to do most maintenance on a 986, the Pelican Parts tech articles are great. Pelican Parts is the forum sponsor, and the articles are included in: 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster -A mandatory purchase if you buy a 986 from a seller that doesn't give you a copy.

Happy hunting. If you have any reservations about buying a particular car, don't be afraid to walk away. There are plenty more and a better one will come along soon.
Thanks, mon! I'm thinking the jack you posted plus a couple of jack stands should be safe, plus I can toss them in a closet, storage-wise. Does the 986 have a jacking spot that's centrally located so I can lift it and slide both stands under at the same time? I'm thinking if it doesn't I can't lift one side way up to get the stand under, because it would be too bent/twisty if the other side stays on the ground at the same time...
Old 05-06-2016, 02:30 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
I just got back from looking at it, it's great! It's got 86k miles, is $6500 and cosmetically looks excellent. The only cosmetic negative was the stickshift leather hood thing, are those easy to replace? It's gotta go, for sure. It's weird that it is in such bad shape compared to the rest of the car.
I'm not going to go out of my way to scare you off here. But in your first post, you're talking about how you can't do brakes yourself and you live in an apartment. A Porsche requires maintenance. Not crazy difficult maintenance but you do need to stay on top of it. In the almost three years I've had mine I've done brake pads, spark plugs and tubes, a starter replacement, front motor mount, and numerous oil changes. I sent the car out of an aos and what ended up being a mass air flow sensor and o2 sensor. I saved a lot by doing the repairs I did myself. But it's still expensive to run. If you don't have 1-2k a year to throw at this car, you may find yourself over your head. If you've read anything from this forum...You'd know that the cheapest boxster to buy is quite often the most expensive one you'll ever own...just sayin. Best of luck.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:58 AM   #9

Thought I'd post a final thought in case any cyclists are thinking of a convertible boxster- I ultimately declined buying it for that reason. It's a convertible so I can't put a roof rack on it. next choice is one of those bike racks that mound on the trunk hood with the straps. No good either, for two reasons. First, my bike shop looked up a couple major manufacturers and said since they both don't list one for that car, they're saying they don't make one they'd trust for that car. Second, the spoiler deploys at 75, so that is not good for a trunk rack, obviously! The last option is a hitch but I don't want that, it's too expensive and looks bad on a porsche. Yeah, I saw that website of the bike rack just for boxsters but after talking to the guy it's sounding like a hassle to mount, plus it blocks the oil pan so it has to be disassembled to change oil or get into that area for any reason plus is expensive. Website in question is birdautomotive.com
Old 05-11-2016, 01:41 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Thought I'd post a final thought in case any cyclists are thinking of a convertible boxster- I ultimately declined buying it for that reason. It's a convertible so I can't put a roof rack on it. next choice is one of those bike racks that mound on the trunk hood with the straps. No good either, for two reasons. First, my bike shop looked up a couple major manufacturers and said since they both don't list one for that car, they're saying they don't make one they'd trust for that car. Second, the spoiler deploys at 75, so that is not good for a trunk rack, obviously! The last option is a hitch but I don't want that, it's too expensive and looks bad on a porsche. Yeah, I saw that website of the bike rack just for boxsters but after talking to the guy it's sounding like a hassle to mount, plus it blocks the oil pan so it has to be disassembled to change oil or get into that area for any reason plus is expensive. Website in question is birdautomotive.com
? The fact that you can't transport your bike on a 2 seat roadster without getting the bird rack was what kept you from buying one?
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:23 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I had been working on other cars (my own) for many years before I got a Boxster and had the same concern. I have actually found it quite easy to work on compared to many other cars. Just put together a little differently. The brakes are actually the easiest I have worked on, but I did pick up a new tool when I flushed the brake fluid.

In fact, the Boxsters have been a good excuse to buy new tools as I proceed with more maintenance.
I have bought three 99s. Sold one and plan to keep two. A good year IMHO.

Rather than rambling on, I'll just tell you to browse topics and read the Forum. All the info you need has been posted already. Ask if you have trouble finding.

Edit: Oil changes can cost that much, but generally it's just a matter of buying about 9 quarts of your choice* full synthetic oil, a filter, and crush washer. For me, a bit over $60.
*Do not ask, "what is the best oil". It's like standing in a crowd outside a Trump Rally and asking who to vote for. You'll get opinions, but chances are someone will walk away bloody. Search and decide.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
That looks disturbingly like the device the nurse brought in to do three enemas before I had my colonoscopy.:dance:

Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote