Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2016, 06:08 AM   #1

New Boxster Owner in Rhode Island

I just made the plunge (into bankruptcy) and wrote a big check for a gorgeous little 2000 986 in Arctic Silver. I'm very excited to have all of you helpful folks backing me up with great advice.
I'm a lucky guy in a lot of ways as my son is a highly-trained ASE-certified tech with lots of experience on Porsche-Audi-VW, so I'm in good hands. Right now, my little toy is in cold-storage at his shop awaiting a long to-do list, to include: IMS, new clutch, RMS, CV boots, short-shifter, wheel bearings, drive belt, idler pulleys, and exhaust.
Let me know if you folks think I need to make any additions to this list.
The car logged most of its 67k miles in California, as evidenced by the detailed maintenance records left by the previous owner.
I lurked on Craigslist and Autotrader for quite some time, and looked at several cars in the flesh, before I jumped on this one. Boy, do I have some stories. My experience with a particular used car dealership in Connecticut is especially entertaining, if anyone's in the mood...

Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:05 AM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
...my little toy is in cold-storage at his shop awaiting a long to-do list, to include: IMS, new clutch, RMS, CV boots, short-shifter, wheel bearings, drive belt, idler pulleys, and exhaust.
Congrats! picture included in your first post and the car looks good.

Unless you have records showing they have been done, I'd consider adding to the list:
+AOS
+Water pump (the only one of these that I consider a 'must'.)
+Spark plugs, tubes, and o-rings
+Consider replacing the vacuum tubing. It is probably good now, but getting brittle. Save the headache later.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:18 AM   #3

Thanks! I was looking at another post and saw the recommendations for the water pump. So, that's added to the list, along with the AOS, plugs and tubes.
My impression is that there's a snake's nest of vacuum hoses on this thing. True?
Old 02-26-2016, 08:22 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
My impression is that there's a snake's nest of vacuum hoses on this thing. True?
It is a bit of a snakes nest. I learned about it when I found one had come off the connector. As I put it back on, it broke. As I replaced the line, another broke. Best to just get it all while the car is being serviced. There are a few recent threads where I posted some diagrams.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:40 AM   #5
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
I'd flush the brake lines as well, unless you can see the PO did it within the last two years. Nice car, and welcome to another New Englander.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:42 AM   #6
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
Nice colour! Welcome to the forum.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:00 PM   #7

Brake line flush added to the list. Thanks! Wondering if I should replace the lines as well with stainless. We're actually planning to flush all the fluids: brake, oil, tranny, coolant.
Stoneham -- did you store your car for the winter?
Old 02-26-2016, 02:09 PM   #8
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Stainless would be good if you're already doing all the other work, and going to keep the car. Although I am still running the original lines on my 03.

No, like you, I'm a new owner. Got mine in the fall. I never put it in storage. If it was a decent, dry weekend day - with not a lot of salt present - I drove it. It was just too hard to see it there in my garage and not take it out. Like this day two weeks ago.

Lucky this winter was not like last winter, though.

I love my 986! It's my first real toy car.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:09 PM   #9

That is a gorgeous car, and it looks like you eliminated the amber lights. Details on that please, because it looks great.
This winter was nothing compared to the last two years. Really miss my car. I only had a short time with it before I turned it over to my son.
This is also my first Porsche, although I've driven 911s and Caymans on the track.
Did you join PCA?
Old 02-26-2016, 03:11 PM   #10

Wait, I'm a bonehead. Porsche eliminated the amber by '03, right?
Old 02-26-2016, 03:26 PM   #11
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
New Boxster Owner in Rhode Island

Thanks! The 03 had stock clear headlamps, but my seller installed ambers and converted to HID as the original clears had yellowed. But it really bugged my ass to see the amber! So I bought a nice pair of clear halogens from a forum member, and sold the HID ambers on eBay.

I converted the stock Amber side markers to clears (from eBay, Suncoast, or Pelican - I've bought so many goodies I can't keep track ). I also got the silver coated Amber bulbs for side markers and rear directions, so they don't look Amber when not in use, and I bought an aftermarket clear third brake light. I think, as most do, the clears look so much more modern and better on these cars.

You're going to love yours and make it your own. It seems no two are alike, as everyone adds their own touches.

I wish I had a family member as my indie!

Last edited by grc0456; 02-26-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:37 PM   #12
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Oh, these were still the Amber directionals in this pic. I just changed them out the other day.

My wife rolls her eyes as another box arrives seemingly once a week!

Oh, yes - I joined NER PCA the day I brought it home. Also, you might be interested in. Cars and Coffee group in Taunton. I just got on their mailing list for this year's meet ups.

Anyway, enough about me! Post pics of your car as you get it up to snuff. We all like pics!

Old 02-26-2016, 05:51 PM   #13

I told my son I missed my car, so he sends me these...
Old 02-27-2016, 01:11 PM   #14
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Ha! You'll be behind the wheel soon, top down, winding it out in 2nd and 3rd, and listening to that sweet sound mix of induction and exhaust notes! Just as my wi

Old 02-27-2016, 01:13 PM   #15
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
fe and I did today.....Ok, no top down for us (although we did see a topless Miata)

Old 02-28-2016, 12:29 AM   #16

Has your wife driven the car? Mine had never driven a Porsche before, and she was all grins and "OMGs" behind the wheel. Fun to watch.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:13 AM   #17
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
No, she's content to ride along. She briefly drove a standard back when she was younger, but not in years. I keep telling her let's go out in my DD Honda and I'll refresh your memory, then you can drive the Box. She's just not that interested. Me, I'm like an addict.

But she is a good sport to let me indulge my obsessions - ordering accessories, detailing, going to PCA and other events, and of course - driving. She'll even let me put the top down on some chilly days. I bought her a nice wool "roasdster blanket" to put on her lap (one thing I wish my car had is heated seats, but it was a FL car).

Maybe we'll see you at one of the Cars and Coffee events in Taunton. I'll PM you the organizer's email address and you can get on the mailing list.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:37 PM   #18

Lucky you! And me! Would love to meet up. My wife had lot's of "stick time" in an MG many years ago, and she was smooth as silk in the boxster. Would love to get together for a cars and coffee.