Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2006, 08:59 PM   #1

Registering an out of state car -- CA

Does anyone know whats involved with buying a car outside your state of residence?

For example:

If i buy a car in state -- i pay sales tax (when i register the car in my name. I am not certain of the rate, but CA sales tax is 7.25% I'm not sure if it varies by county.), license & registration fees.

If i buy a car out of state ----

Do i pay sales tax to the state in which it was purchased? (What the process?)

I will have to register and license the car in CA -- is this more expensive than a normal in-state registration? I understand the registration process is more involved - ie a visual inspection and smog cert. (the boxster is a 50 state car ) but is it significantly more expensive.

If anyone has gone through this process i would appreciate some insight.

Some states do not have sales taxes (OR, MT) and many are lower than CA-- does this mean i would avoid the sales tax???

OK..OK.. i do realize the car is important thing here.... but i am looking outside CA and i would like to know what's involved.

RD

Rondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:51 AM   #2

RonDog, you live in America. You must do two things as an American. Pay taxes and die.

Now you can try to avoid paying taxes, but the tax man he cometh and he will taketh you to jail when you are seized, along with your property.

Here's the deal:

Many states are passing reciprocal sales tax for auto sales. So you pay the tax, up to the state's own limit on the car and they pass it along to your state for you. I'm guessing that you then take the receipt to your courthouse where you live and they give you a new title, tags and plates and you're charged any difference in the price.

In other states, if you do not title the car in that state, you will have to head to your courthouse with your title and bill of sale and they will bleed you for the taxes to get your title switched over and to get your tags and plates.

Oregon brags as not having any sales tax, but on cars you buy there and drive home to CA, you must pay tax.

Now let me get on my soap box. The poor slob who bought the car new paid tax on it, and A LOT of tax too! Why must EVERY OTHER BUYER PAY TAX on the same car over and over?

I'm so pissed I think I'll throw all my used tea bags into the fountain down at city hall this afternoon. That'll send a strong message!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:37 AM   #3

what ever happened to no tax on interstate commerce?

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:39 AM   #4

Here is how it works:

Say you buy the car from a Nevada resident and the car is registered in Nevada.

You bring it back to CA and take it to DMV. They will do a visual inspection to check on the Serial Numbers etc. Make an appt as they will turn you down if you just show up or make you wait for days.

You will also need to get the car smogged at a CA station.

Then you take your Nevada title inside and register the car.

The Sales tax varies by what county or town you live in. 7.25% is the lowest, 8.25% is the highest.

DONT register the car in some other state and try to drive it here. You will get caught and fined.

It is NOT cheaper to register it in another state and then re-register it here later.

The CA guys have a one year trigger on this and will catch you if it is a sham.

Any more questions, just ask!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:41 AM   #5

Smile

PS- they want their sales tax and VLF fees and they will get them!

That is the short version.

PPS-Don't try to get the seller to give you a lower price on the BOS to lower your taxes. That does not work either and you are subject to arrest if you lie on those documents.

Serious, this tax stuff.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:43 PM   #6

Once again, I am blown away at how friendly and knowledgable y'all are...

Believe me.... before i pressed the "Submit Post" button-- i had visions of gettin flamed!

Chances are i am buying in CA anyway, so it's probably moot, but "Knowledge is Power" as they say!

WoofWoof!

BTW... Great replies--- Randall ill join you at that "Tea Party"!!!
Rondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondog
i had visions of getting flamed!
Here? On this forum? We're not that kind of forum... maybe over on the Carrera GT forum they'd flame you for an interstate tax question, but not here.

(OK, that last bit was formed completely out of jealousy, but I just had to say it.)

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote