Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #1

new 986S owner outside Cincinnati, OH

Hi all.
I purchased a 2003 986 Boxster S a few weeks ago. Enjoying the car, but am really troubled by all of the IMS bearing scares. Planning to get the ceramic retrofit in the future. Problem is, my clutch is in great shape, and everyone tells me to wait until I need a clutch. I've heard of IMS failures in the past, but was always told it was rare, so didn't worry about it. But, after reading the posts online about the issue, I'm worried about it. If it goes, I do know there is no way I will buy a 20K engine for a car I paid 15K for. The Boxster S is my weekend, pleasure car, so I will deal with that issue when / if the time comes.
Other than that, the car is great
Was driving today, and a guy driving a crappy, beat up Toyota Corolla, wearing a dirty cammo jacket, yelled "Pu**Y!!!" at me when he pulled up next to me in the right turn lane, as he turned right, and ran away. So, I guess the car is provoking some jealous reactions. :dance:

Anyway, I wanted to say hi and introduce myself. Thanks in advance for all the help, and information when things go wrong.

cincyjohn986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #2

Garage
Welcome, as for the ims monitor it by checking for metal shavings In you oil filter. Be good to the engine and care for it well to reduce chances and just battle it out until you need a clutch. If the engine does go, a boxster chassis is worth decent money, you won't lose too much more than what it costs to do the retrofit.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:12 PM   #3

Thanks. I plan on getting a magnetic drain plug.
I don't want to turn this into another "IMS thread." It's just always in the back of my mind when I drive the car. Every little odd noise makes me paranoid.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:39 PM   #4

Once there are metal shavings in the filter it's pretty much to late. The very least you'll need is a complete engine breakdown and the worst is you have a hunk of useless metal.

Either have the IMS changed or take the calculated risk and do nothing. Whatever makes you sleep better. Not sure what bearing you have in yours, single or double row. Single row appears to be at higher risk then double row. I'm the type to sleep better knowing the issue is fixed. My 02 had the single row so for me it was worth replacing. Do some more research and decide for yourself. There's tons of info on the issue.

Enjoy the car and yeah it will draw rude comments from those jealous and too ignorant to know what they now sell for but you will get way more positive comments.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:49 PM   #5

From The Springfield/Dayton Area

Congrat on becoming a Boxster driver. I've had mine for over six years and I'm happy to say that I've never run into a hater in Ohio. As for the IMS, don't worry about it. Enjoy the car. And, as they say, drive it like you stole it. And remember, without pictures, it didn't happen! Drive safe, and have fun.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #6

I've had lots of eyerolls, nasty looks, etc., This was the first time somebody actually yelled something at me, COMPLETELY unprovoked. (It takes a tough guy to yell "Pu**y" at you before speeding away, btw.)
Most of the time though, nobody even looks.
Yeah, I need to post pictures. Need to upload some when I get to it.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:53 AM   #7

COMPLETELY unprovoked.??what do you mean from this word..i dont understand
gary.ritter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary.ritter2 View Post
COMPLETELY unprovoked.??what do you mean from this word..i dont understand

A blind insult is the best compliment of all.

Say you are simply pumping gas, and someone comes by saying "that's a hair dressers car" that would be unprovoked.
In contrast if you double parked and came out to be told the same thing, it would then be provoked.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:13 PM   #9

Garage
Welcome, you'll love the car. I've had my '00 S for a couple of years and it hasn't given me an ounce of trouble. Plus it's an absolute blast to drive. Ignore the haters - hell, I might have anger issues too, if I had to tool around in a crappy Corolla! Most people will say "nice car" or not notice. And as others have posted, you need to post some pics of your new baby.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:12 AM   #10

Welcome to abroad.

sophie18 is offline   Reply With Quote