Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #1

Scams Depend on Greed

I’ve been looking at Boxsters for a little while. I’m starting to get a feel for the year-mileage-option-price trades. Like anyone I’m looking for a good deal. While surfing Cars.com last night I found one that blew me out of the water. The car was at a dealer only 2 1/2 hours away. I responded to the listing right away and I got an automated reply from the dealership, cool I thought, I found my Box.

Before my wife and I went out to eat I told her about the car and that if it was available that I was going to buy it, no discussion. During dinner she cautioned me that if it is that good of a deal that someone might get the car before me, “Don’t get your hopes up”. I was ready to give out my credit card info to put money down on the car to hold it (steal it really).

We got home from dinner and I looked at the listing again. There were some odd things about the listing. I searched the dealer’s web site but didn’t see the car. The Cars.com web site showed the listing as a new one. Maybe I thought the dealer didn’t post the new listing on their own site yet?

Also there was something odd in the listing about not calling because there was a problem with the phone for the next 6 days. Instead the listing instructed buyers to email cmear@comcast.com. Well I sent an email to cmear and I replied with the Cars.Com link just to cover my basses. I thought HA! I found a distressed owner that needed cash, this is going to be a deal, a steal of a deal. What a smart internet navigator I must be.

I continued to look at the Cars.com listing. I jumped back and forth between the dealership’s listings. Some listings looked like the Boxster listing with the phone number note others did not. The Boxter listing and really all of the cool car listings, Audi, Benz, BMW and so on were new listings and at historic low prices. The other listings looked normal; normal prices for normal cars.

The picture of the Boxster was kind of odd for a dealership listing. It was taken in front of a house. What dealer does that? Maybe this was an employee using dealership resources to sell a personal car, again a financially distressed employee?

I knew what was going on but I didn’t want to admit it. That was a fairly sophisticated scam. I sent an email to the dealership and one to Car.com advising that I suspected that some of the listings were scams. The Cars.com listing have been removed. I do have some interesting emails from the scammer though. So, how can I pull this guy’s chain? I’d love to pull reverse ruse on this guy like the guys at Ebola Monkey Man: Nigerian 419 Scam.

So, I’m stupid for getting too excited about a deal that was too good to be true, I was greedy. Last night after I figured it out I was feeling a little heart broken. However bad that was it’s a lot better than losing cash to a scammer though.

Here was the deal:
2007 Boxster S
12,xxx miles
$9,200

Too good to be true!

BigShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:45 PM   #2

If it was a 1997 Boxster with 12x,xxx at $9,700 then it might believable.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #3

Garage
Way too good to be true. Shady people sometimes!
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #4

Here's the Scammers first email...

Hello,

This 2007 Porsche Boxster, runs and drives excellent. The car has been extremely well maintained with a full service history, it has 12,748 miles, clear title free of liens. The car has all of its original floor mats, all books, complete set of tools and keys. Everything works in the vehicle lights, gauges, radio, windows, locks, a/c blows ice cold. I'm currently involved in a military program and I need to find a buyer before my upcoming deployment take place.

I set up the price to $9,200 including delivery and handling to your address, it will be delivered free of charge through a military transportation service to a designated location of your choice, average delivery time is 4-5 business days, depending on destination.

To support my argument regarding the current condition of the vehicle please visit the following photo album: imgur: the simple image sharer

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Sgt. Carmella Mear
USMC ANG 116 AMXS
Old 02-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #5

So, I know its a scam I just want to see where this loser is going, my reply...

I can drive to your location to inspect and write a check. When can I see the vehicle?

Thanks,
Old 02-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #6

Here's where he first asks for money, has stink written all over it.

Hello again,

Thank you for getting back to me. The car is already at our Military Logistic Department in U.S. Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, Havelock, NC stored in a military compound ready to go. I am making final preparations before deploying to London, UK. The Logistic Department will deliver the vehicle to your home, so there is no charge for this delivery. Shipping will take 4-5 days to the destination. All documents you need for ownership, manuals and bill of sale will be provided along with the car.

For the payment I would like to use Amazon Payments (payment will be via bank wire transfer). They will keep your money until you receive and inspect the car. So, this is not a blind transaction, you can see the car before committing to buy and to eliminate any concerns you will have 15 days to inspect it. If you decide not to keep it Amazon Payments will refund you the money, no questions asked, and shipping back will be my concern. But I assure you won't be the case. I think this is more than fair for both of us.

Now, if you are serious about this and want to move forward, just mail me back with:
- Your full name - Required by Amazon Payments.
- Your shipping address and phone number - Required by the Logistic Department (They will call you with delivery/pickup instructions 1 day ahead so you can communicate what time schedule work best for your to receive the car).

Sorry for the long email I have tried to explain the entire process. I would also like to inform you that I'm entertaining two other offers at this moment, so please let me know your decision as soon as possible.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Sgt. Carmella Mear
USMC ANG 116 AMXS
Old 02-05-2014, 12:31 PM   #7

Not so fast buddy..

I found your listing on a Cleveland Car Dealer listing. Can you explain the connection between you and the dealership?

The photo album is very nice. The car looks great, just what I'm looing for. However, that could be anyone's photo album. Could you take a selfie of yourself with the car and email it to me. Also can you send the VIN number so I can check the Car Fax on the car?

I have cash waiting to go. I really like your car, but there are cars out there too.

Thanks,
Old 02-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #8

Oh, really you have a buddy at the dealership...

Thank you for letting me know. The car was listed as a dealer because my friend who has a dealership posted the car for me.

Here is the VIN# WP0CB29877U730289.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #9

My last reply, he stopped replying to me...

Do you think your friend would mind if I called him/her?
Old 02-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #10

I'd keep playing this guy and report him.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #11

He figured out I was playing him. Report him to whom? Did a search, might be someone in Brazil, what are you going to do?
Old 02-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #12

Garage
Two years ago, I ran into a similar scam when I was looking. Same thing, too good to be true, guy offered to ship the car, if I didn't like it, he would take care of shipping it back, blah blah blah. Two emails and I was done, way too stinky. I just wonder how many people actually fall for these scams. By the way, this was also on Cars.com.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:24 PM   #13
Sim

Had a similar experience a couple of days ago. Military person based in Germany, car could be delivered all I needed to do was deposit money with Amazon! Reported to magazine as scam, ad removed.

Sim is offline   Reply With Quote