Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 05:18 PM   #1

New Boxster S owner and question

Hello,

Well I finaly pulled the trigger and picked up my first Porsche
A 2000 Boxster S. Black on black with the 6-spd. I still need to figure out what options she has other than the litronic (sP) headlights.

For years all I've owned and worked on are various Japanese sportscars.

Now I wanted something different, something ultra-cool.

So I spent the last 4-6 months doing research and waiting for the perfect deal. Snow is just srounf the ocnrener here in Colorado and this dealership wanted to get rid of this convertible asap. Which was fine by me.

I don't have the words yet to decribe the way she drives/feels to me other than I am extremly happy and am starting to understand the statement "Porsche Engineering". I will elaborate more over the months as we become more aquianted ....hmmmmm

One cool thing that happened today was I drove up to the pump for the first time since buying her to fill up and pulled up next to a nice Carrera. The owner said "Good Morning, brother" and introduced himself. We chatted for a while, high fived and off he went.

***CEL*** light came on during my drive home as I over-filled my gas tank....opppsss. My Check Engine light should go off in a couple days as my gas level is reduced or the gas evaporates from the charcoal-canister.....right?

Well glad to be here and I look forward to making some new friends.

Mods, thanks again for making this site possible.

Boxster-S_dude

Boxster-S_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:29 PM   #2

You need to check that CEL. Go to an Autozone and have them read the code and report back here. Could be something besides overfilling the gas. You may have a reason to return that car to the dealer.
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:09 PM   #3

Welcome to the forums and congrats on getting an S. It's cool what happened at the fuel stop. I like guys like that. Ones that recognise that we buy a Porsche for the same reasons they do. At least that is if they bought their car to really enjoy the drive and not to let other people know how important they are.
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses and sorry it took me so long to repsond as things have been crazy around here.

Well my buddy let me borrow his code reader and it found 2 code errors. They were P1128 and P1130.

I drove around for a while which lowered my tank level a tad and rechecked the cels. Now I was down to just a P1128.....hmmmm. I guess things were starting to re-balance (richness). So I just erased the other error and things have been just dandy since. Knock on wood.

Guess I'll have to be carefull the next time I fill the tank

Thanks again!

ps. in regards to factory options I have the onboard computer and the upgraded exhaust with the bypass pipes....it sounds GREAT looks pretty cool.
More to come.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelojkt
Welcome to the forums and congrats on getting an S. It's cool what happened at the fuel stop. I like guys like that. Ones that recognise that we buy a Porsche for the same reasons they do. At least that is if they bought their car to really enjoy the drive and not to let other people know how important they are.
I bought the 986S for the Porsche Engineering. I have a couple of other vehicles to get me from point A to point B. The Boxster S is for pleasure, FUN, and open air mountain cruzzzzzzin
Old 11-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster-S_dude
Thanks for the responses and sorry it took me so long to repsond as things have been crazy around here.

Well my buddy let me borrow his code reader and it found 2 code errors. They were P1128 and P1130.

I drove around for a while which lowered my tank level a tad and rechecked the cels. Now I was down to just a P1128.....hmmmm. I guess things were starting to re-balance (richness). So I just erased the other error and things have been just dandy since. Knock on wood.

Guess I'll have to be carefull the next time I fill the tank

Thanks again!

ps. in regards to factory options I have the onboard computer and the upgraded exhaust with the bypass pipes....it sounds GREAT looks pretty cool.
More to come.
Congratulations on your new purchase!

If your Boxster is at or around 60K miles and you get those P1128 and P1130 codes again, be sure to check your AOS, especially if you get some of the other common symptoms. First thing to check is whether it is very difficult to unscrew the oil fill cap with the engine running, indicating excess vacuum and a failing AOS.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoir
Congratulations on your new purchase!

If your Boxster is at or around 60K miles and you get those P1128 and P1130 codes again, be sure to check your AOS, especially if you get some of the other common symptoms. First thing to check is whether it is very difficult to unscrew the oil fill cap with the engine running, indicating excess vacuum and a failing AOS.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks for the tip Maurice. I'll run that test tomorrow.

How much of a complete tune-up can I expect to perform in my garage with an average set of tools? Ive worked on Japanese imports and 60/70's muscle cars but never a German Car.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #8

Buy the Bently manual. Cheapest place I have found it is Amazon. Torx and triple square drivers? I use them on VW/Audi. Havn't worked on the 986 yet but it is starting to look like a piece of cake after owning a turbo NB for years. I have heard that you have to drop the motor to change the plugs. I dont think that is true. German cars are different from Japenese and 70's American, but I think you will find your time wrenching on your Porsche to be enjoyable.

Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote