Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Regional Forum > GBBG -- Greater Boston Boxster Group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2003, 06:45 AM   #1
Forum Member

Angry Checklist for Winterizing

Unfortunately it is that time of the year again. Does anyone have a checklist for winterizing my 01 S. I could just leave it alone and start it every few weeks. Do I need to worry about flat sponts on the tires or the car getting moldy? What do other folks in the northeast do with thier car in the winter??? Thanks

Rockchalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 06:49 AM   #2
Regional Moderator

50 psi in the tires, full tank of gas, and remove the battery (put a paperback novel or something in the trunk to keep it from latching, and remember to have your radio code handy).

I had to replace my battery because I left it in last year. It survived the first winter, but not the second with those -25 nights.
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 07:21 AM   #3

Rockchalk,

Are you planning on not using the car at all during the Winter? If so then I would follow Charlie's suggestions. I would roll the car a few feet if possible every 2-3 weeks to avoid flat spotting. Since the Winters are so dry I wouldn't worry about the car getting moldy. Just keep the windows cracked a bit. Do not start the car unless you plan on driving it long enough to get the engine and all the systems completely warm and run through. Just starting your car and letting it sit in the garage is not good. I would also give all the rubber seals (trunks, doors, tires etc.) a very good dressing and would repeat it again during the Winter.

I don't Winter our car. I try to drive it a couple of times a month as long as the roads are dry and for at least 25 miles.

-Rey
ReyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 10:22 AM   #4

See the NER site http://www.porschenet.com/winter.html for one.

FYI, I use the Porsche battery maintainer, which plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. If you have a power outlet available where you store the car, this works great and saves you from tripping over the battery on the way to the washing machine all winter .

I also do the yearly oil change just before storage - one "between exits" run on the highway and then straight under the cover it goes. I've received lots of cautions about leaving a significant amount of combustion by-products sitting in the engine all winter...

Fresh gas for a full tank and use gas conditioner (StaBil, etc.) at the last fill.

I've yet to try putting the moth balls on top of the engine to keep the mice from nibbling their seeds up there, but this may be the year!

Last edited by donv; 10-10-2003 at 10:28 AM.
donv is offline   Reply With Quote