Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Regional Forum > GBBG -- Greater Boston Boxster Group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2003, 03:09 PM   #1
Regional Moderator

Post Vermont Foliage Run 2003

Date: Saturday, October 11th

Departing From:

McDonalds in Ayer, MA, 9:30 AM
To get to McDonalds, take Route 2 West to 110 North. Drive 2.2 miles, you'll see McDonalds off the rotary. We'll park on the left side. Please arrive with at least 3/4 tank of gas.

Itinerary:
Rt 2 to western ma, join ESBB just west of the I-91 intersection at approximately 10:45, 12:30 lunch at the Marsh Tavern in the Equinox Hotel (will be warmer than the open Dormy Grill last year) in Manchester VT, Mt Equinox drive (bring $6 or $8 cash for the toll), loop through some back roads (should include a covered bridge) and back via 91 and Route 2.

You can expect to be back home around 6:00, 7 at the latest.

Confirmed Participants:
-Howard & Lynne (GBBG)
-Kevin (GBBG)
-Ken & Paula (GBBG)
-Don & Monica (GBBG)
-Kevin (ESBB)
-Brian F (GBBG)
-Charlie & Sara (GBBG)
-Rey & Juliette (GBBG)
-CK (ESBB)

???
-Sebastian
-Cory
-Mark C?
-Ad Sach
-TC in NJ (lunch only)

Communication
Radios tuned to channel 8, code 6 (as in Nine-86)
My cell number: 617-921-9026 (please call me if you will be late)

Last edited by CharlesGordon; 10-10-2003 at 02:39 PM.
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 08:20 AM   #2

I'd like to make one comment

I had a great time on this drive last year - especially ripping up and down Mt Equinox. After reading about Jon's misshap on PPBB and some of the other group-drive mentality incidents, I think a word of caution is in order. I remember last year how I wished i'd taken the opportunity to go up and down Mt. Equinox again and really tear it up as I felt I didn't take full advantage of the first opportunity. I'll take this years opportunity to do the road a couple of times (at least), but I'm not going to learn the limits of our car on that road. It could result in a devastating loss. I've had the rear-end of our old Boxster come out quite unexpectedly and I was able to recover without consequence. I'm sure I'll rip it up in a couple with everyone but I want us to all be safe and have a great time.

Let's be careful out there on the 11th!!!

-Rey
ReyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 10:14 AM   #3
Cory in MA

Where is everyone going to meet/time, in the morning? I am still not sure if I can make it this year. Last year, I was only able to meet in the morning at Mc D's, not able to take the ride. Maybe better luck this year.

- Cory
Old 10-06-2003, 03:14 PM   #4

Hi Charlie,

I did some map checking and I believe the road Monica and I found last year is the "East-West" road off of Rt 30 (aka West River Road) in W. Dummerston VT. It connects from just above Brattleboro over to Rts 5 & 91. We just did a "wonder where this covered bridge goes" turn from the Rt 30 end and had no trouble following the road over to 5... ie: W to East. Easy way to bypass Brattleboro's traffic/turns.

BTW, Rt 30 itself is another way over from Manchester and is nice with some smaller quaint VT towns along it, so this route "snippet" might fit into the overall plan as an alternative approach or return.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:34 PM   #5
Regional Moderator

Thanks, Don. I think we can incorporate that nicely into the route, maybe avoiding some crowds in the process.

Cory, tentatively we are looking at 9:30 at the same McDonalds in Ayer. Check this thread again later in the week for more detail, I hope you can join us this time!
Old 10-06-2003, 07:35 PM   #6
Regional Moderator

Oh, and by the way...GO SOXXXXX!!!!
Old 10-07-2003, 09:04 AM   #7

Hi,

Trip sounds like it will be fun. Lynne and I would love to come along Saturday. You can count us in.

BTW, will we be using walkie talkies? If so, what brand/model would you recommend?

Thanks.
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 10:39 AM   #8
Regional Moderator

Great Howard!

Just about any walkie talkie will work. I have a Motorola. Don Veino seems to have the coolest setup, with a headset, not sure what it is.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:15 AM   #9

Hi Charlie,

Was doing some browsing on Mount Equinox and found some info on the Inn. This web site says it is temporarily closed for renovations. Is this where we are having lunch?

Check it out.

http://www.equinoxmountain.com/inn/index.htm
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 08:19 AM   #10

Howie,

I think this is the Inn at the top of Mt. Equinox that's closed for renovations. We're going to have lunch at the Marsh Tavern at the The Equinox which is the resort with the golf course and such.

http://equinox.rockresorts.com/info/din.marsh.asp

-Rey
ReyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 08:53 AM   #11

Hi Howie,

Just about any FRS (Family Radio System) unit will do. One feature to look for is a "Roger Beep" (Motorola term) or "Confirmation Tone" (others) which lets folks know when you're through talking (let up on the push-to-talk button). My BellSouth units don't have this but I wish they did.

I think the "coolness" Charlie refers to is that I have a single-ear headset w/Mic I use with mine which makes it much easier (IMHO) to use in the open car at speed. I have a couple I'm willing to give away at the event if I can just find them... new in package.

If you're a gadget guy, you might also check out the latest combination GPS and FRS units from Garmin (EMS has them). A little pricey, but two toys in one!
Old 10-09-2003, 01:37 PM   #12

Exclamation Enthusiastic Caution

BTW, I Have to agree on Rey's post about being careful on Equinox. While it is a private road, it is not a closed road (like in all those car ads: "Professional driver on closed course: do not try this yourself").

While I was definitely in the fast moving set the last time, I had a chance to reflect about it afterwards - if a toddler had got away from their parents in one of the view points, or Bambi scampered across the road, or another car happened to be coming down through one of the hairpins while we were going up, I can't imagine what could have happened.

Monica and I had already decided to follow from the rear at a more leisurely pace on Equinox this year. I'll miss the adrenaline rush, but at least Monica will not have to cover her eyes the whole way up this time...
donv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 03:28 AM   #13
Regional Moderator

Thumbs up This is going to be great!

At last, a GBBG run this year without weather concerns! Foliage reports are that, yes, we are probably a week early for peak--but it should still be very nice.

Can't wait to see everyone! Try to be prompt so we can leave at 9:30.

-Charlie