Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Regional Forum > GBBG -- Greater Boston Boxster Group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2003, 12:40 PM   #1
Forum Contributor

B&M shifter?

Hey all! I was wondering if anyone in the Mass area has a B&M short shifter installed? If so how do you like it? Did you install it yourself? If I buy enough beer can I get you to help me install one?

Thanks

Matt

Matt (in MA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 02:48 PM   #2
Regional Moderator

Gee, I guess not. I'll probably be doing the mod next Spring even though I've never seen it personally. I'd say 95% of people I've read about who do it love it--that's good enough for me!
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 06:00 PM   #3

I did the B&M Shifter about 6 months ago. It is a great addition. Feels like a video game But then again I live in Virginia, so cant be much help from here.
jfmillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 11:55 PM   #4
Forum Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to Frankster
hi, I installed mine 2 weeks ago.
installing is really no problem and I'm no mechanic at all.
it is really fun driving. my daily drive leasts me trough hills with winding roads & tight corners. i really love it. Standard feels pretty boring in comparison.

but sometimes i find the short shifting ratio of the b&m to tight. where are other manufacturs that offer ajusttable shifters from 10%-40% reduction.

br,
frank
Frankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 10:49 AM   #5
Forum Contributor

Thanks for the reply everyone. I guess I'll have to go this alone up here in MA Looks like a good winter project at this point. Maybe I'll get some of the local Boxster folks over just to watch and laugh at me

Remember - free

Thanks

Matt (in MA)
Old 01-18-2004, 02:44 PM   #6
Support Local Music

Has anyone found that shifting into 4th more difficult than the other gears? On mine it engages... it just seems like it should be smoother like on the others gears. Also, on mine it seems the that it is really "tight" when running through the gears at slow/normal speeds until warmed up.
red*farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 03:50 PM   #7

No I havent had any trouble with mine. A little tight through all the gears but nice and short. Doesnt matter what the tempature is like for me Love it and wouldnt give it up for anything!
Old 01-22-2004, 03:05 AM   #8

Matt -

I put the B&M in my 911 Cab last summer. I'd be glad to help with moral support at a minimum. The two hardest things are keeping the shift forks aligned as you work and breaking off the old bearing. I'm also up to speed on how to remove the center console pieces to get at the shifter.

Regards,

Brian
BrianF1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 07:19 PM   #9

I have put in about 25 B&Ms and also the new Porsche short shift for our local Porsche owners. Even made a DVD of 4 installs.

You should drive a car that has it first. It does take more effort to shift due to the reduced leverage. It is a bit 'notchy.' It is a bit harder to find gears. That is the trade-off for a shorter shift throw. Most people get use to it and would never go back to the OEM shift. Jeff
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 10:49 AM   #10
Forum Contributor

The B&M is in!!

Took about 2 hours and was really pretty straight forward.

This has to be the best money spent! This is a great mod and I really love driving the car. Gear changes are just a snick away!!

If you're thinking about it, go for it. If you're wondering what it's like, come try mine!!

Thanks all

Matt