986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   GBBG -- Greater Boston Boxster Group (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   B&M shifter? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525)

Matt (in MA) 10-06-2003 12:40 PM

B&M shifter?

Hey all! I was wondering if anyone in the Mass area has a B&M short shifter installed? If so how do you like it? Did you install it yourself? If I buy enough beer can I get you to help me install one? :)

Thanks

Matt

CharlesGordon 10-07-2003 02:48 PM

Gee, I guess not. I'll probably be doing the mod next Spring even though I've never seen it personally. I'd say 95% of people I've read about who do it love it--that's good enough for me!

jfmillr 10-07-2003 06:00 PM

I did the B&M Shifter about 6 months ago. It is a great addition. Feels like a video game :) But then again I live in Virginia, so cant be much help from here.

Frankster 10-07-2003 11:55 PM

hi, I installed mine 2 weeks ago.
installing is really no problem and I'm no mechanic at all.
it is really fun driving. my daily drive leasts me trough hills with winding roads & tight corners. i really love it. Standard feels pretty boring in comparison.

but sometimes i find the short shifting ratio of the b&m to tight. where are other manufacturs that offer ajusttable shifters from 10%-40% reduction.

br,
frank

Matt (in MA) 10-08-2003 10:49 AM

Thanks for the reply everyone. I guess I'll have to go this alone up here in MA :) Looks like a good winter project at this point. Maybe I'll get some of the local Boxster folks over just to watch and laugh at me

:D

Remember - free :cheers:

Thanks

Matt (in MA)

red*farm 01-18-2004 02:44 PM

Has anyone found that shifting into 4th more difficult than the other gears? On mine it engages... it just seems like it should be smoother like on the others gears. Also, on mine it seems the that it is really "tight" when running through the gears at slow/normal speeds until warmed up.

jfmillr 01-18-2004 03:50 PM

No I havent had any trouble with mine. A little tight through all the gears but nice and short. Doesnt matter what the tempature is like for me :) Love it and wouldnt give it up for anything!

BrianF1960 01-22-2004 03:05 AM

Matt -

I put the B&M in my 911 Cab last summer. I'd be glad to help with moral support at a minimum. The two hardest things are keeping the shift forks aligned as you work and breaking off the old bearing. I'm also up to speed on how to remove the center console pieces to get at the shifter.

Regards,

Brian

Tool Pants 01-27-2004 07:19 PM

I have put in about 25 B&Ms and also the new Porsche short shift for our local Porsche owners. Even made a DVD of 4 installs.

You should drive a car that has it first. It does take more effort to shift due to the reduced leverage. It is a bit 'notchy.' It is a bit harder to find gears. That is the trade-off for a shorter shift throw. Most people get use to it and would never go back to the OEM shift. Jeff

Matt (in MA) 03-29-2004 10:49 AM

The B&M is in!!

Took about 2 hours and was really pretty straight forward.

This has to be the best money spent! This is a great mod and I really love driving the car. Gear changes are just a snick away!! :)

If you're thinking about it, go for it. If you're wondering what it's like, come try mine!!

Thanks all

Matt