Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2022, 05:36 PM   #1

Ignition lock

I have a 99 Boxster. I want to replace the ignition assembly. I have found a used assembly with keys. I assume once I replace everything the car is not going to recognize the new key (transponder).

Taking my original key apart and using the key shell (with the transponder) and using the newer key blade, what I end up with is a matching key blade to Ignition and original transponder to match imobilizer. This all seems straight forward. Am I missing anything?

Cheers, Mark

marbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 05:38 PM   #2

One more thing, I have the option to buy the imobilizer for this ignition assembly. But do I really need it?
Old 03-03-2022, 05:44 AM   #3

Just move the existing lock cylinder to the new housing and keep your existing key (so it works in your door and center console box.)
Carlton Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 07:13 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
As Carlton Bale said, just replace the lock cylinder and key blade.
Here's a short video of how to remove the lock cylinder:

For the immobilzer to work, you need a matching set of 'transponder' from the key fob, 'immobilzer box' under the driver's seat, and 'engine computer' from the trunk. It will not function if you only swap a single component. Best to just keep the set that's already in your car.

Skip to about the 6 minute mark on this video for details on removing the key blade:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn16skMu7LI
Old 03-04-2022, 09:29 PM   #5

Got it done. Paid $250 for not only the whole assembly but it even had the attached steering column.
Just swapped out the ignition cylinder and swapped out the transponders in the keys. now I have all the leftovers for sale. At the beginning I put way too much thought into it. Very simple job.

Thanks Bale & 350 for your inputs............