Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2017, 05:14 PM   #221

If you are "taking orders" now, I will certainly sign up for 2x Premium units please.

dijinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:31 PM   #222

Fred's Folley

Hi again Fred !
Put me in for one to replace my I Pad. I got your lights and wheel caps so I know this thing will be unbelievable too !
Lee NY
Leebherron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:49 AM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijinn View Post
If you are "taking orders" now, I will certainly sign up for 2x Premium units please.
Good god man, premium stuff coming your way in autumn. Don't use a knife to open the shipping box; gift inside bud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leebherron View Post
Hi again Fred !
Put me in for one to replace my I Pad. I got your lights and wheel caps so I know this thing will be unbelievable too !
Lee NY
Lee, always nice to hear from you bud!!! Its going to be killer, and by the time we are done with this I'll have a set of the new gen center caps aside just for you brother
Old 08-30-2017, 06:50 AM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Simplicity at its best! Type your destination address or location and press GO.

And that's it. It'll take you there in the very best of its capacity

^ Carries the main Volume trackbar. Full featured Turn by Turn Navigation System. Support off-course re-routing, waypoints, traffic optimizations, pay tolls avoidance, and come with a range of other features such as warning, compass degree, etc.

* Special Thanks to Microsoft Corp for making the Bing Maps REST Api available to the developers. The documentation and references was top class. Remarks: in terms of "routing calc mechanism", it beats OpenSourceMap, Yandex, and all the others by worlds apart - amazing work, Microsoft!
Just going through this remarkable thread about your latest design. So Cool and definately interested in one myself.

Question/Comment: So does this navigation system also work offline?
I think that in many places where reception is poor but the roads are good for Boxsters, like mountainous canyons etc while ralleying, you might want to be able to navigate off line. I have a system in my truck that uses Sygic or iGo for offline mode with the option of online additional info like traffic, time based routing etc.

Also, is it possible to have the OBDII sensors mapped on that car schematic and it flash in red at the sensors location when something is amiss? That would be incredible futuristic diagnostic screens.
Probably cause some car manufacturers to take notice and have to start their own version of such a program.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:27 AM   #225

Wow! Again.
Fred, I'm in the old school camp that doesn't like lights / videos / maps / graphics and other visual distractions in the cockpit. Nor am I generally in favor of aesthetic updates on older cars, which usually works about as well as a granny in tight jeans with a sexy new tatoo.
But damnnn, you are about to win me over with the potential functionality of this thing!!!
One development request: with my cell phone, I SPEAK the address to which I wish to navigate, which is both easier/faster and much safer in the car than trying to type. And some sort of support for offline navigation will be necessary if this is to be more tool than toy.(If I got lost every time my mobile internet access has a glitch, I'd be a very frustrated person.)
If these 2 things are possible right out of the box, I think you can count me in.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:16 PM   #226

Navigation

That Navigation UI and backend was a proof of concept. Works fine, easy to use and simple etc, but it was more or less the result of “Can I hard code a GPS NAV System from scratch if I have too” (proof of concept). Whether we use it or not, I do not know yet. Do not work offline for sure (based off the Microsoft’s Bing REST API). It is amazingly accurate ad smart however and chances that I leave it as it is (simple) is very likely.

You’ve mentioned Sygic. My favorite also! Works offline and done professionally. I’ve already made friends with Peter Schubert (CEO - Automotive Division) and Jakub Daučo (Project Manager) at Sygic who are both convinced they can adapt their product to the best of the world Porsche Car Infotainmnet System. If it comes to a point where the kit gain popularity, they are happy to give us access to their API/key whether we code it ourselfves, OR they can do it for us also. SYGIC is by far the best option (if you guys are after something that look & feel “professional” anyway).

As for the OpenStreetMap that all Asian kits are based onto, well, yea I’ve done the coding on it and ended up driving in ONE-WAY street out of London while I was testing it. It was turning me into bus lane-only also. Read Not-So-Smart LOLLL but there… we can’t expect everything from something that is FREE, right! So I’ve ditched this idea pretty quick.

GPS/kit works with Google also, and so is with Google Earth. The latest being killer fun lollllll

So you see… possibilities are endless and finding the “one-and-only” best solution for “everybody” is simply impossible folks.

At the end of the day what will (/may) happen is; I’ll make the kit available and whatever you do with it is your business. Unless of course it comes to a point where everybody wants/need the kit then we’ll get Peter (Sygic) involved fulltime in this. He is more than willing to participate in this project.

^ In fact, Peter and Jakub are the only developers I’ve managed to find so far (you folks are wayyyyyy too lazy for my taste LOLLL)
Old 08-30-2017, 07:22 PM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
a granny in tight jeans with a sexy new tatoo.
LOLLL

BL - stay tuned man. Not done with this... half done in fact. Like said above, if this comes ALIVE one day (aka popular) we'll put all the energy and resource$ necessary into it and make it better than anything you've ever seen so far

Investors, developers, engineers welcome!!! I can do it all 'by myself/one man show', but having a team would be ideal and would go twice faster
Old 08-31-2017, 06:47 AM   #228

Salut from Quebec Fred!

I don’t have a boxster but I have a 2002 911 and I am also interested in your infotainment system. Please count me in for the premium kit

I can see that you are using NX and the manufacturing addon. How did you connect the simulation to your CNC machine? I have Fusion360 and a CNC machine but I want to upgrade to NX in the future. What do you recommend me to do to get started?

Thanks for sharing everything you do. Amazing work!

Max
Maxiimum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:03 AM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiimum View Post
What do you recommend me to do to get started?
So cool, old neighbor

NX loll Hmm sure… what’s wrong with F360?! Just joking man

No exp with f360 but how exactly are you going to transfer your cad data to NX? You’d be the first… to my knowledge anyway. What are you doing? sml eng firm, entrepreneur??

what is a 9-1-1? What does it look like?
Old 08-31-2017, 01:59 PM   #230

Hi Fred,

We want to move away from the F360 cloud and start over using a professional CAD system. I hope this make more sense now

We are a new engineering company with 2 staff and plan to expand to 6 in 2018. We already know we want NX but it is very difficult for us to find information on the manufacturing side because we don't have access. Especially NX CAM simulation and how it work. I just need to know where to begin with this. If you can share how you did it that would be very kind and helpful. Also how much is NX? hehe

Fred my porsche 911 is a 2002 C4 AWD in midnight blue. I'll post a picture soon. The first modification is the sound system for me

Max
Maxiimum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:24 PM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiimum View Post
We want to move away from the F360 cloud and start over
Oops! another victim.... sorry to hear man :/

Have you tried the Siemens Manufacturing Forum? Used to be webkey membership only but I think you can join for free these days no? not 100% sure. For accurate info/price you need to find a local Siemens Partner (var). Without this guy you’ll be hitting closed doors in most cases bud. Siemens will provide direct support to e.g. Boeing, Porsche, Redbull F1 team, NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory… small companies like that, you see

In a nut shell…

Price: NX is cheap lollll Cost what your 911 used to worth at the dealer back in 2002 (‘brand-new’) :/ The way around that problem for a start-up is to get an industrial contract to pay for it upfront. You’ll want to ensure this contract is financially sufficient long term to cover your annual maintenance cost also (US$10k/year). Same advice I give everyone who wants to start-up at this CAD/CAM/CAE level. That is what we’ve done here and what many other sme like yours does too.

Manufacturing: is not an add-on btw, its built-in ootb. Adv ISV & Machine simulation is add-on tough – check with your VAR as prices varies a lot depending on what CAM pckg you’ll need. Careful however (what they don’t always tell you!): nothing is plug & play in NX manufacturing so make sure you have extensive knowledge and fluent in C and TCL programming language before launching/investing into this. If you don’t have the resources internally then simply forget about NX (Senior Software Engineer & Programmer level required).

Sim & validation works ootb from native NX but for industrial controllers only (SINUMERIKS, FANUC, HEID) however requires CSE drivers and those are specific to each controllers. You will need to write and modify your own Post Processors (in TCL) and tweak those CSE drivers for each and every machines based on your machine-tool builder’s specs. So… in a 3d space you tweak IJK vectors, euler angles, your channels, custom operations, UDE (User Defined Events) and so on. If you can’t write TCL then you need to outsource. A stable PP for NX will run you between $5,000~$15,000 ‘per machine’ depending on the complexity of the machine kinematics. All that to say… if you can’t hardcode those PP/CSE internally, then add the cost of another 911 car (used, 2002 model).

NX is not for girls man, and can be painfully complex. If you are serious or need official info, just PM me your company legal name/address/email and I’ll get you an temporary account set-up on GTAC under our number (webkey/pwd) so you can access the engineering KB from Siemens directly. It’s all going to make sense at that point for you.

Hope this helps bud, best I can do to help really. Best talking to your local var really

Last edited by Nine8Six; 08-31-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:22 AM   #232
jjp

Awesome project! WELL DONE!!

If its not too late. One tiny suggestion if I may.

Can the bezel have a lip (say, 5-8mm) to provide some protection from 'glare'. One could also potentially recess the screen to provide some additional 'protection'
jjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:29 AM   #233

Fred, please put me down for a Platinum
Old 09-01-2017, 09:53 AM   #234
Pathological Tinkerer

Holeeee Crap Batman!

How did I miss this one? Oh, I know, I have been gutting, sanding, filling, priming, sanding, painting, sanding, sanding some more, re-assembling the Boxster late into the night for months on end. It gets a bit lonely and exhausting for me working so long on a project alone so mad props for your discipline and ambition in executing such a project.

Also, Fred, your range of skills astounds me. Genius level.

Platinum for me please.
P_Carfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #235

Fred, Please put me down for a premium.
Fodoposto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:51 AM   #236

Question: will this work with the BOSE system and allow us to simply just replace the head unit but keep the existing amp and speakers? I think early on in the thread there was mention it would not work because of the MOST interface the BOSE system uses.
soxfan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:46 AM   #237

premium

please add me down for a premium as well
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:48 AM   #238

Any news Fred? Do you have a "final and formal" list of purchasers yet? I'm worried I'm not on it, do I need to commit now or later?
Old 10-15-2017, 08:36 PM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace River View Post
Any news Fred? Do you have a "final and formal" list of purchasers yet? I'm worried I'm not on it, do I need to commit now or later?
You are at the top of our list! I'm reading each and every members' posts here and keeping these/this thread as formal list. No obligations for now folks.

News? Yea... We have a fully functional prototype that delivers twice more than I've anticipated. Really cool kit, small, and powerful. Works also... the coolest part lolll

Also got fined by the Environmental Bureau for running industrial equipment which are banned in the area we were. Ban came in effect since 2008, and with over 20+ records of registered mail/warning addressed to the landlord (which I've never heard of lolll), it was hard to request for a 'friendly' delay. They chopped off the electricity and water to the building instead LOL. The landlord footed the fine for all of us but we have to move out of there :/

Good news is we have the new shop lined up and all should take a weekend or two to do the move. Looking forward posting pics of the new place soon... pretty modern facilities!

In a meantime, here a first quick peek at the kit in its 'real-life' format - enjoy!

^ Squeezed in two ribbons on the built-in co-processor for you Arduino fans to see. Gives you an idea of where the digital and analog pins are located. Obviously plenty of inputs for your Oil Pressure sensors, Vibro-Acoustic IMSB sensors, and/or rolling weather stations
Old 10-15-2017, 09:03 PM   #240

Looks great, Fred, thanks for the update. Good luck with the move and I’ll keep watching this thread for details!

thatguychad is offline   Reply With Quote