Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2017, 11:08 AM   #1

What gives? Porsche Key FOB issue

Hello Friends,

Recently acquired a Boxster S with a Key FOB in non working condition. Followed and researched some YouTube videos and was able to solder on a working button that was defective. My FOB still does not work, even tried the reset technique in the manual. Unlocked my door via the key manually and pressed #1 button. Still no dice. Is there a transmitter box in the vehicle I need to reset or plug antenna? My key FOB diode does blink red and it has a fresh battery. Am I missing something here?

Vfrealtor405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vfrealtor405 View Post
Hello Friends,

Recently acquired a Boxster S with a Key FOB in non working condition. Followed and researched some YouTube videos and was able to solder on a working button that was defective. My FOB still does not work, even tried the reset technique in the manual. Unlocked my door via the key manually and pressed #1 button. Still no dice. Is there a transmitter box in the vehicle I need to reset or plug antenna? My key FOB diode does blink red and it has a fresh battery. Am I missing something here?
Yes, the car must be programmed to accept the fob, and in order to do that, you need the coding tag that came with it from the factory. No tag, no programming.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #3

FOBs are disposable in the eye of Porsche. Get a new one from sunset for 130$ shipped.

It could be anything. From a bad trace and connection to the program with planned obsolescence.

Some people online have been able to revive them, but most are dead by now considering the car was made in 2001 in my case.
1987 325IS (Soon to be Spec E30 racecar)
2001 GSXR-600 (Almost warm outside!)

Last edited by WorkInProgressK; 02-15-2017 at 12:16 PM.
WorkInProgressK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:19 PM   #4

Okay thank you fellas. So I need the tag and transmitter from Sunset to make this work? If one loses the tag or it was never included with vehicle, I am SOL? or SOL with a price from the dealership to reprogram my Key FOB transmitter. This will be another challenge, but I will get this keyless entry to work. Handful of times I have manually unlocked my vehicle from the driver's side while my wife patiently waits for the passenger door to be open by myself from inside. Wish there were a keyhole on the passenger side door.
Vfrealtor405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vfrealtor405 View Post
Okay thank you fellas. So I need the tag and transmitter from Sunset to make this work? If one loses the tag or it was never included with vehicle, I am SOL? or SOL with a price from the dealership to reprogram my Key FOB transmitter. This will be another challenge, but I will get this keyless entry to work. Handful of times I have manually unlocked my vehicle from the driver's side while my wife patiently waits for the passenger door to be open by myself from inside. Wish there were a keyhole on the passenger side door.
When they sell you a new fob, it comes with a new pill, FOB and case. You could get a blade made to transfer.

Now the RFID will still work. So you will end up with two keys.

The key tag number is used to mate to the Immobilizer. Once on an Immobilizer you can have it printed and saved for records. Or if you want to transfer the key to another car. The tags won't be important as long as the immobilizer doesn't get replaced.

1987 325IS (Soon to be Spec E30 racecar)
2001 GSXR-600 (Almost warm outside!)
WorkInProgressK is offline   Reply With Quote