Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2017, 08:15 AM   #1

Variocam fault code diagnosis with Durametric

Fault Codes P0300+P0301+P0302+P0303 -

Last edited by Gelbster; 03-08-2017 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Incomplete due to 15000 char limit
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:08 AM   #2

Having just completed this project, including removing the actuators to replace the pads (or brakes as I think Porsche calls them) this is all very good information and helpful to have in one location. I ended up making my own special Porsche tool 9624 and cam retainer tool and LH threaded rod tool for compressing the actuators. I ordered the LH parts a few weeks in advance of needing them so not a problem for me to wait for oversees shipping. The tools are not difficult to fabricate but ordering the tool kit would make things easier. I had time so I thought I would try and make the tools in advance while waiting for some parts to be delivered to get the project going.

It really is tight on bank 1 and it would have been easier with the cat removed but I just made it work. Some of the 23 bolts on the cover can best be accessed from topside as well. Doing bank 2 next I was relieved to have the additional access. I used the Porsche OEM Loctite 5900 sealant for the cam covers and removing the old sealant was a chore. I found out that you can't just go to the autoparts store and buy gasket remover anymore (at least in my area) so I had to order it online and wait for the shipment. I used the remover and a plastic scraper so as not to damage the aluminum surfaces for resealing.

Thanks Gelbster

Last edited by dsallean; 02-16-2017 at 06:09 AM.
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:27 AM   #3

You are welcome. It is good to get confirmation from someone else who has done the job !
What was your problem(s) and how did you solve it?
I ask because this job can be much more expensive than an IMSB replacement if you make some mistakes in diagnosis and testing. I don't mind buying the parts from Pelican but it is humbling if you discover they were unnecessary.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
You are welcome. It is good to get confirmation from someone else who has done the job !
What was your problem(s) and how did you solve it?
I ask because this job can be much more expensive than an IMSB replacement if you make some mistakes in diagnosis and testing. I don't mind buying the parts from Pelican but it is humbling if you discover they were unnecessary.
My camshaft deviations were off on both banks and beyond spec on bank one. So it appeared the actuator pads needed replacement. I was also getting some pad material in the oil filter in addition to a lot of green material indicating an actuator was failing. So I replaced the actuator, pads on both banks and new a new chain for each bank. I got the parts from Pelican except for the actuator. I went with a low mile used unit instead of $1,000 for a new one.

I think the hardest part of the job is doing it with the engine in the car. If it was on a stand this would be much easier.
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:10 PM   #5

Mine is up on a lift but even so I removed the deck lid and the trunk lid ! This would be a miserably frustrating job in anything but prefect conditions.