Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2015, 03:17 AM   #1

No 1st or reverse

Just changed out my clutch fluid lines, put new fluid in the reservoir, bled the slave cylinder down, tried to go for a test drive, and could not get into 1st or reverse. After a few minutes of trying to fight it, I had a small leakage from the slave cylinder. Any thoughts besides replace the clutch? 1999 986 w/165K mils. Just picked it up, no history. Any thoughts/direction? Wife pissed!

Also have a 66 912 currently not running. Now you know why she's not happy with me... Please help me make my 39th anniversary next week better...

flouese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:02 AM   #2

Try doing some more bleeding. If the hydraulic system is not fully releasing the clutch, you won't be able to get it in gear when the engine is running.
spendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:42 AM   #3

You have to re-bleed the brakes and clutch. It is all one system. Best to use a power bleeder like the motive. Here is a step by step process. There are 2 bleeders per caliper and you do the clutch last. I hope this helps. Good luck and report back after you have fixed it. Porsche Boxster Brake Bleeding - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:03 AM   #4

Definitely bleed brakes & clutch (even if shop who did work says they bled clutch). While bleeding clutch, also make sure they didn't knock loose the transmission cables which they easily could have while reaching up in there...

Good luck
Old 08-10-2015, 08:53 PM   #5

Same problem that I have, will be following this thread with interest.
Guvs.
Guvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:47 AM   #6

UPDATE!!! Struggling w/1st and reverse

Let me start off by saying I am a 986 newbie. If this was my 656 912, I'd be all over it.

Purchased a pressure bleeder as suggested, followed all directions; bled both ports on all brakes and bled the slave cylinder last. However, it semi fixed the problem.

- With the car off, the car shifts like a hot knife through butter.
- Once the car is running, it is still difficult, but not impossible to get it into 1st or reverse.
- If the car is rolling in 2nd, I can down shift with out to much difficulty.
- If at a complete stop, it's very difficult to get into 1st.

One last piece of data, when I pump the clutch pedal, it sounds as if the fluid reservoir cap is sucking air. I put a piece of plastic over the opening, screwed the lid down. No more sucking sound.

Any suggestions? Wife still not happy!!!
flouese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 02:08 PM   #7

Sounds like you have either:

-An air leak in the system caused by an improperly installed/tightened hose
-A failing clutch master cylinder
-A failing clutch slave cylinder

If you've attempted to power bleed the system--did you get nothing but fresh fluid at the slave end? Or were there still bubbles in the fluid?

Your description that it sounds like the clutch MC is 'sucking air' makes me think that the master cylinder could be bad, or that you have a bad connection at that end.

Nmbrsix is offline   Reply With Quote