Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2015, 01:25 PM   #1

Garage
2003 Top with Frame on my 2001?

Hi all, I've used the forum search on this topic and still have a couple of questions.

It seems that the '03 top and frame should bolt right on and it would be nice to have the glass.

I just wanted to be sure that a factory '03 top will allow as much engine access as the '01 with plastic window. I know this has been an issue with some replacement tops.

Any comments appreciated.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:43 PM   #2

Garage
I did the same thing (put a 2004 top and frame).
There is a little less access than with the plastic window, but I don't find it that annoying. That said, I don't wrench a lot so others might find it more annoying.
'04 Convertible top with glass window
herve_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:47 PM   #3

Garage
Thanks herve!

Just did a google search (should have done that first) and pulled up this 986 forum thread. Think it answered my questions

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/20414-2003-oem-glass-convertible-top-installed-01-boxster.html

Last edited by ccjazz; 06-19-2015 at 01:48 PM. Reason: added the link
ccjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:34 PM   #4

Here's the deal.
Although you won't have quite the access to the top of the motor with the 03 top/frame, its not an issue at all. Once you see how easy it is to install the whole assembly...three bolts and two screws on each side, you'll realize that if you really needed full access to the top of your motor, you can simple remove the entire assembly and get after your repair.

The glass window top is worth it!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Here's the deal.
Although you won't have quite the access to the top of the motor with the 03 top/frame, its not an issue at all. Once you see how easy it is to install the whole assembly...three bolts and two screws on each side, you'll realize that if you really needed full access to the top of your motor, you can simple remove the entire assembly and get after your repair.

The glass window top is worth it!
Thanks dg, this sounds like the way for me to go.