Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2014, 12:32 PM   #1

Talking UV Protector for rear window idea

Being a life-long tinkerer, ideas are always popping into my head, and I'm always modifying, this or that to suit my needs. Here is a little something I came up with this morning. I am going to make a prototype, and see how it comes out. What is it you ask? Good question.

What is the #1 enemy of the convertible top rear plastic window? I dare to say that it is UV rays. Bird droppings and tree sap don't help either. IMHO, the more you can protect the window, the longer it will last, right? Lets get started.

PARTS LIST:
Reflective sun-shade
Some Microfiber
4 Metal Washers
4 Rare Earth Magnets
4 Plastic Cabinet Knobs
Plasti-dip

So here's the plan, make a template of the rear window and transfer that onto the sun-shade, as well as microfiber cloth, cut to size. Attach washers to underside of sun-shade at all four corners. Sew microfiber to back side of sun-shade. Sew back on edging.

Epoxy magnets to knobs, and when dry, coat with Plasti-dip to protect window.

When all done, you can lay the new UV protector shade on the outside of the window, and secure it from the inside with the magnetic clips. The microfiber and Plasti-dip should not scratch the window. In theory, when your Boxster is parked in your driveway, or maybe in the parking lot at work, UV rays, and bird crap are not destroying your rear window, extending it's lifespan. Also, it should lessen the rear deck from fading. I will let you know how it works out, and post some pics.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #2

Good idea for sure.Please explain the magnetic plastic clips that are located inside.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeedp View Post
Good idea for sure.Please explain the magnetic plastic clips that are located inside.
Simply line up the magnets on the inside of the window at all four corners with the corresponding washers sewn into the the UV shade. They will grab through the plastic.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #4

Garage
Went and inquired about window tinting of a rear plastic window. From what I understand, it was possible, but would come undone if the top was put down. Care to volunteer and post a picture?

Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote