Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #81

Be interesting to know how that company even knew about this discussion. Is a member here affiliated with them?

Old 11-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #82
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrestrictor View Post
Nine8six,

We have attempted to contact you via private messaging and have asked you to give us a call but you have not responded. I felt our concerns should be addressed privately instead of in a public setting. However, after seeing all of the references to our website and our products I think a post here is appropriate.

We're very flattered that you've taken such an exceptional interest in our World Class Product, that being the WINDRESTRICTOR® brand wind deflector for fine convertibles.
We applaud your efforts in trying to replicate a product that we discontinued several months back because owners were not happy with the plastic frames and thin plastic. We do suspect that some of your efforts are infringing on our intellectual property but we can discuss this in private. It appears as though many of the "original ideas" that you are having we've already came up with and have brought to market. It's startling that you would go so far as to take photos off of our own website and post them on the forum here as you are "developing your idea".

I'll ask that you please take down our copyrighted images immediately and furthermore please refrain from referencing our company and products during your product development.

For anyone that would like to see our recent development, take a look at ***DELETED website link***
my 2 cents for what it's worth...

since you brought up intellectual property, what exactly are you referring to?
Edge lit plastic signs? I highly doubt you have a patent on that, or do you?
Trademarks such as "PORSCHE" or their logo?

One thing is for sure, it is not highly unlikely that ANYONE on this forum will EVER do business with you. There may have been a possibility before , but I sincerely doubt it now

Fred is a very honorable man who has spent uncountable (and unpaid) hours developing some superior products for the enthusiasts on this forum and others. He does it not so much for profit (which he is certainly entitled to) but as something he enjoys and the enjoyment of helping others.

IIRC, He was not the one posting a link to your website, others were.

You will find that he will have a tremendous amount of support from not only this forum, but other forums as well

Maybe you should think about licensing his designs as they are far superior to your product.
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 11-11-2014 at 05:47 PM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:49 PM   #83
On the slippery slope

Garage
Interesting how Windrestrictor deleted their post minutes after some pushback from forum members
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #84
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I am looking forward to this thread getting back on track, Nine8Six, did you say you already have a prototype?

Last edited by rick3000; 11-11-2014 at 06:12 PM. Reason: To avoid causing problems.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #85
Damn Yankee

Garage
Intellectual property rights; patents (pending or otherwise), copyrights and registered trademarks are sticky subjects indeed.

I think if Fred was strictly doing a DIY, and not planning to gain commercial profit, he would be fine.

Maybe Jake can chime in on this subject. He mentions it quite frequently in his posts.

Just sayin'............

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
I'll give you the copyrighted images, but how is a light attached to piece of plastic capable of infringing your intellectual property? Wouldn't the Z4 that inspired this idea also be infringing on your intellectual property?

I believe Porsche holds the trademark to the logo featured on the windscreen, and it is likely they have also patented the windscreen that both your and Nine8Six's designs are based upon.

I must say I am very surprised that you have posted such an aggressive message on an enthusiast forum, that consist of what is likely the largest segment of your target market for your own illuminated windscreen product.

I hope that Nin8Six continues development without any further harassment, and I am very much looking forward to seeing his design, which I am sure will be very high quality.
Our brand is monitored constantly we've spent close to 100K protecting it. We are fully informed about trademark rights. Trust me, we did not intend to harass, you will not see that from us. We did not receive any response at all when we attempted to contact Nin8 and now that he's removed our photos we will not bother at all. We've even taken down our post.

Windrestrictor® is the leading wind deflector provider in the world. We're licensed by Ford, General Motors and soon to be BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes and Porsche.

The Z4 photos that "inspired this idea" belong to us. This is what we were so concerned about. A simple google search will produce millions of results and images of our work. We manufacture for over 20 models. We have over 50 authorized distributors world wide and have 6 patents/pending patents.

We have no ill intentions and do not want to start any flame wars so we will respectfully bow out of this conversation.

To all Boxster owners, happy top down driving and modding in the new year!
Windrestrictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrestrictor View Post
To all Boxster owners, happy top down driving and modding in the new year!
this can't be happening.... illegal LEDs on some imported/DOT signed off for performance car lol

And a $100k worth of it.

Mate I would hate to do this here (and I won't) but if you really feel the need we can quickly publish which multinational tech giant owns the pattern of edge display tech already (Int'l registered in Japan since 1992, surprised?!).

I'd recommend you to edit your post before someone tags it again. You appear to be running a pretty cool and nice little company there. I'd keep it just the way it is if I were you.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #88

that's it I'm off. Support from members was great and well received.

I'll update with cracking pics soon. More Flowers!!!
Old 11-11-2014, 06:58 PM   #89

Garage
When do I get my DIY kit?
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #90

If I can manage to turn off this now, Walt Disney thread, then you may be able to get it the week after the coming one

Last edited by Nine8Six; 11-11-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:30 PM   #91
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Thanks! You bet flowers are pretty. This was sent to me by a member from Colorado who hope to go with the floral theme for his

I may need one of these when I move out there
Old 11-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #92

^ I could do with the substance itself if only this would be available in China (never seen here btw!)

Last edited by Nine8Six; 11-11-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #93

(irrelevant - post deleted )

Last edited by Nine8Six; 11-11-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:42 PM   #94

(irrelevant - post deleted )

Last edited by Nine8Six; 11-11-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:19 AM   #95

Garage
Just a quick post for the folks at Windrestrictor: I was unaware of your company before this, and now, thanks to your heavy handed response to Nine8Six, I would NEVER purchase anything from you. In a single post you've managed to give your company and brand a very negative image - on a Porsche enthusiast forum with nearly 70,000 members. How dumb.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:27 AM   #96

It was amazing, I woke up this morning to the sounds of a whiney, squealing dog, looked out my window and saw Windrestrictor running down the street with it's tail between it's legs. Way to go to our Forum members for stepping up and putting those idiots in their place (which obviously isn't this forum, nor will it ever be, apparently)

Nine8six, I PM'd my info to you as you requested.

to the forum members as well
Old 11-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #97

Now that we have put all that ugliness behind us... ON WITH THE UPDATES!!!!
gomarlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:52 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post
I

Nine8six, I PM'd my info to you as you requested.

to the forum members as well
Well received, thanks!
Old 11-15-2014, 05:54 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomarlins3 View Post
Now that we have put all that ugliness behind us... ON WITH THE UPDATES!!!!
Couldn't agree more! Seen your sorry post earlier in this thread lol. Just wanted to say no worries bro
Old 11-15-2014, 05:55 AM   #100

.... and off to the next page (few pics and updates....)