Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 06:03 AM   #1
pjq

OBC/Cruise Control upgrade

2004 Boxster S
I finished my winter project of installing the 4 stalk controller so as to enable cruise and the OBC. I followed the directions as laid down in "101 Projects for your Porsche Boxster", "986 Bentley Service Manual" and the web site Renntech.org which has a wealth of information for this upgrade. Now I just have to get to an Indy Shop/Dealer to activate both through the computer.

I took my time for fear of breaking something and this took two days, no breaks. If I had to do it again probably 4-5hrs. My garage temperature was around 5 to 6 C so plastic parts aren't as pliable.
When removing the instrument cluster all the documentation tells you to lift straight up after removing the 2 screws behind the telephone speaker and the hazard flasher. They don't mention that there are 5 plastic tabs helping to hold the instrument cluster to the dash. Likewise with the Trim Ring around the steering column and the dash, it is secured on top with 2 screws and under the steering column there are 2 plastic tabs, lift straight straight up.

The condensed wire plan is;
2003-4 Boxster Cruise:
Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 17 - Stalk Connector Pin 1
Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 4 - Stalk Connector Pin 3
Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 1 - Stalk Connector Pin 4
Fuse B7 - Stalk Connector Pin 2
2003-4 Boxster OBC:
Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 23 - Stalk Connector Pin 2
Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 22 - Stalk Connector Pin 3
Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 21 - Stalk Connector Pin 4
Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 24 - Stalk Connector Pin 5
Earth (ground) - Stalk Connector Pin 1

I've attached a few photos that may help someone in the future. I have more if someone is interested.

5 metal sockets in dash and 2 metal sockets under steering column.

Back side of Instrument Cluster up side down showing 5 plastic tabs

2 stalk compared to 4 stalk

pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:20 AM   #2
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Nice one!
I remember doing my 996 Gauge Cluster & OBC upgrade (so I know how you feel ). It took quite a while to gather all necessary information and materials (i noticed that the recommended wires for the 996 Gauge Cluster were not "perfectly" fitting, but figured out, which were the right ones for my MY2001), and to exactly understand what you are doing. I used the same books and forums just like you did.

BTW: I was able to do those upgrades, without any soldering (used "Posi-Lock" connectors, which are perfect) and without removing the steering wheel (you can attach the OBC-stalk switch "easily" from the left side).

Only thing i wasn't able to do is the cruise control, as there is no valid information on how to do the connection on a MY2001 car with a 2004 996 gauge cluster: Motronic or Gauge Cluster?
But actually i can live without the cc
Old 05-01-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
Nice one!
I remember doing my 996 Gauge Cluster & OBC upgrade (so I know how you feel ). It took quite a while to gather all necessary information and materials (i noticed that the recommended wires for the 996 Gauge Cluster were not "perfectly" fitting, but figured out, which were the right ones for my MY2001), and to exactly understand what you are doing. I used the same books and forums just like you did.

BTW: I was able to do those upgrades, without any soldering (used "Posi-Lock" connectors, which are perfect) and without removing the steering wheel (you can attach the OBC-stalk switch "easily" from the left side).

Only thing i wasn't able to do is the cruise control, as there is no valid information on how to do the connection on a MY2001 car with a 2004 996 gauge cluster: Motronic or Gauge Cluster?
But actually i can live without the cc
Is there a way to add the cruise control stalk without removing the wheel?
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
No................
Old 05-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Where there is a will, there is a way...but it will be a long and hard one.
Definitely not as easy as the OBC stalk, which "only" needs to be screwed off and on again.
And additional to that, you cannot easily disassemble or remove the CC stalk from the main unit...so bottom line I would say....no.........too.

:ah:
Old 05-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
pjq

I used the VW 000.979.009 repair wires which have the correct ends so on the 2003-2004 cars you don't have to cut and splice the wires. I only had to solder one wire and that was the power wire, which had to be lengthened, from the fuse panel B7 to the cruise control connector.

Adding an OBC stalk or thinking about adding a Cruise Control stalk without removing the steering wheel? Why?
What ever you do you have to disconnect the battery, after that 10 minutes later the air bag and steering wheel are off and laying on the passenger side floor and now you have a little more room to work.
Since I don't know what I'm doing and I'm flying by the seat of my pants I like to be able to see what I'm suppose to be doing and see where I might go wrong so I can hopefully catch myself before I make the mistake. I had time on my side so I didn't mind removing the extra parts.

Here's two more views of the stalks.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:26 PM   #7

How do I know if my "03 S comes with the software for the OBC stalk?
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #8
pjq

heliguy, you have it. It's part of the software package from the factory it is just not switched on.
You need a PST2 computer to turn it on. It needs to be switched on at the DME and the Instrument console. The dealers have these type of computers as well as serious Porsche mechanics.
Check out Renntech.org, search 986 cruise control (OBC will be there), lots of good reading. 2003 & 2004 are the same. 2000-2002 slightly different.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjq View Post
heliguy, you have it. It's part of the software package from the factory it is just not switched on.
You need a PST2 computer to turn it on. It needs to be switched on at the DME and the Instrument console. The dealers have these type of computers as well as serious Porsche mechanics.
Check out Renntech.org, search 986 cruise control (OBC will be there), lots of good reading. 2003 & 2004 are the same. 2000-2002 slightly different.
So, if I get the 4 stalk addition and hook it up, I can then take the car to the dealer or independent and he can activate the cruise and OBC?

What functions does the OBC have?
Old 05-02-2014, 04:50 AM   #10
pjq

[QUOTE=heliguy;398473]So, if I get the 4 stalk addition and hook it up, I can then take the car to the dealer or independent and he can activate the cruise and OBC?

YES.
I'm booked in for May 22 to have this work done so I can let you know if it's as simple as the book's say it is. I get to drive 4.5 hrs to this garage,Yeah! Road Trip!

OBC Function:
Outside Temp. (good for the north)
Average Fuel Consumption
Average speed
Calculated Range on remaining fuel
Cruise Control Speed Exceeded (warning chime)
Digital Speedometer
Drivers settings
Stored warnings
Additional info on illuminated warning lights

My little telephone speaker in the left corner of my dash is also wired in but I've never used it. Maybe it is connected to the OBC?

Last edited by pjq; 05-02-2014 at 04:53 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:12 AM   #11
On the slippery slope

Garage
[QUOTE=pjq;398501]
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
So, if I get the 4 stalk addition and hook it up, I can then take the car to the dealer or independent and he can activate the cruise and OBC?

YES.
I'm booked in for May 22 to have this work done so I can let you know if it's as simple as the book's say it is. I get to drive 4.5 hrs to this garage,Yeah! Road Trip!

OBC Function:
Outside Temp. (good for the north)
Average Fuel Consumption
Average speed
Calculated Range on remaining fuel
Cruise Control Speed Exceeded (warning chime)
Digital Speedometer
Drivers settings
Stored warnings
Additional info on illuminated warning lights

My little telephone speaker in the left corner of my dash is also wired in but I've never used it. Maybe it is connected to the OBC?
IIRC that screen on the left of the tach is a microphone
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #12

Stalking a Stalk

I have a 01S and would love to have OBC function, I have not found a stalk for sale. Do you guys have any ideas where I could locate one and a ballpark price ?

Thanks in advance

Dwight
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:10 PM   #13

Sounds like there's little usability compared to modern cars but I'm sure I'll do it.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:04 AM   #14
pjq

heliguy I agree. What I really wanted the OBC for was outside temp. and flip easily between miles and KM.
But the main reason for the four stock was the cruise control. Doing a road trip without cruise is getting to be tough. The foot starts to cramp, then the leg muscle cramps and my knee is aching like a b______d because its in the wrong position for too long, this all means I have to pull over and take a break. Damn..... this aging process is playing hell on the body.

JayG is that little microphone for the telephone or something else? Is it any good?

Pdwight checkout OklahomaForeign.com I think about $150, dealer is double that if I recall. There is also the website owner Pelican Parts they would have all the parts and pieces needed for this upgrade. Oklahoma Foreign is a salvage yard and seems to have a good reputation with the Porsche community. Whale Tale in Ontario Canada. There are a couple of other reputable salvage yards but that age thing just kicked in again.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:49 AM   #15
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjq View Post
heliguy I agree. What I really wanted the OBC for was outside temp. and flip easily between miles and KM.
But the main reason for the four stock was the cruise control. Doing a road trip without cruise is getting to be tough. The foot starts to cramp, then the leg muscle cramps and my knee is aching like a b______d because its in the wrong position for too long, this all means I have to pull over and take a break. Damn..... this aging process is playing hell on the body.

JayG is that little microphone for the telephone or something else? Is it any good?

Pdwight checkout OklahomaForeign.com I think about $150, dealer is double that if I recall. There is also the website owner Pelican Parts they would have all the parts and pieces needed for this upgrade. Oklahoma Foreign is a salvage yard and seems to have a good reputation with the Porsche community. Whale Tale in Ontario Canada. There are a couple of other reputable salvage yards but that age thing just kicked in again.
Behind the little screen on the left is Porsche`s optional place for an external mic (for the telephone). If you have one installed, you probably had a PCM/Telephone module or an equivalent aftermarket car radio. Sound wise not noticeably better than inbuilt-mics, imo.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #16

Back in 2010 someone posted at Renntech ...

Quote:
You need five wires. Three of one kind and two of another.
This corresponds with 101 projects instructions.

However, this was answered by ...
Quote:
When I did my 2001 OBC, there was conflicting info on the wires. In 2001, Porsche changed the connectors and all the wires should be the same. You no longer need to cut and splice the 2 different VW wires, you will need 5 of the same. ... I'm pretty sure for 2001 and newer you will use 5 of the 000 979 009 wires. These go into stalk connectors 1 through 5. For connector 1, cut off the other end and add an eyelet to screw in to a good ground
Is this response that self-made harness wires can have same connector on both ends for 2001-up models correct?
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:10 AM   #17
pjq

lkchris,
"....same connector on both ends for 2001-up models correct?"
I don't know if that is a correct statement BUT it is a correct statement for 2003-04, it is 009 wire and connections. The instructions you quote are also correct.
OBC requires 5 wires, Cruise Control Requires 4 wires.
on 2003-2004 you use 009 wires and the crimped ends are correct to fit into the Stalk connector you will make up and the back of the existing grey multi-pin connector that attaches to the instrument cluster.
For the 2003-04 you just need to cut one of these wires. One piece of the cut wire you will crimp an eyelet onto the newly cut wire which will ground your OBC and the other piece of cut wire you will solder an extension of wire (3ft) so as to be able to reach the fuse panel and bring power up to the new cruise control connector you made. You will use fuse B7 as your power source. For a 2003-04, 99% of the work you do will be up at the dash, 1% at fuse box to connect power lead. Minimal soldering.

On earlier model Boxsters you need to wire back to the DME, the instrument cluster and the Stalk (03-04 you just work between the stalk and cluster). Some of these end connections require the 010 crimped wire connection (slightly larger) and some require the 009 crimped wire connection, so this is why you need to cut and solder back together one 009 wire and one 010 wire. This is all well explained on the Renntech.org site as well as 101 Projects and Bentley book.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:19 AM   #18
pjq

BRAN, I have the CDR23 radio. I think i need the OBC activated to activate the telephone module?
Old 05-05-2014, 08:10 AM   #19

Garage
Not to hijack this thread, but I found a 2005-2008 OBC stalk and was wondering if it will fit & function on my 2004 S. I already have the cruise control from the factory.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #20
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eicheldp View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but I found a 2005-2008 OBC stalk and was wondering if it will fit & function on my 2004 S. I already have the cruise control from the factory.
No, the 987/997 switchgear on the column is different compared to the 986/996. I don't think the 9x7 stalk will fit onto the 9x6 module.

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote