Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 02:31 PM   #1

Garage
sport classic II wheels

my wheels are scratched and wanted to get them refinished. I would like to do black with the outer ring and bolts that line that silver. does anyone know, are those bolts just decorative or do they come out. and is the outer ring removable?
the guy at the powder coat shop told me that if they came apart and he could do them individually he would charge me $100 per wheel. if he had to tape it off and coat twice it would be $175 each.

kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #2

I recently had my sport classic II's powder coated also.

They are two piece wheels, therefore there is a wheel drum as one piece and the face of the wheel as the other. The bolts that are on the edge of the wheel hold the face to the wheel drum.

I had the outside lip machined and the faces painted white. I would not recommend white wheels unless you have a lot of time to wash all that brake dust off. The machined lip makes the wheels look slightly more aftermarket. I would recommend that.
samrwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #3

Garage
excellent, that is what I was hoping. thanks for the info
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #4

Not a problem.
Not 100% sure but I think they need to be replaced if taken apart. Usually they're titanium. But beat of luck. Post pics when you get them back!

samrwalt is offline   Reply With Quote