Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 03:38 AM   #661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edreamsz View Post
Hi guys, here's an update.

Yesterday I received a pair of ballast with a build-in Canbus solution (ballast/starter/Canbus in one box). I turned the Xenon kit on and immediately my oil warning lamp went on .

So, these units are going back. My next step will be connecting some Canbus warning cancellers between the ballast and my 12V connectors as an extra.

I also thought of another possible solution. There is a possibility that the peak voltage after starting the Xenon kit triggers the problem. So, by connecting the ballasts directly to my battery via a relay I will be effectively removing that peak voltage when turning the Xenon lights on right? This is just an idea....any thoughts on this?
?!?!?

Yes I know its not your kit. Bat's car problem made me realized this already. I was under the impression you were following our conversation

Check your voltage regulator "under load" it should read about 15.x volts (needs load tester, not a volt meter!). Your indy should be able to help with that. Those (brushes) gets tired with time, especially after 10+ years

Others, as important: diode, alternator pulleys, loose serpentine strap, bad battery.

There are two phases to your ballasts' power up sequence:
- PhaseI: igniters (max load at 7amps for 1~2secs)
- PhaseII: stabilization (max load 3.5amp)

When phaseI occurs, it simply drains the car system's current. If the car charging system is not up to specs, you will "certainly" get unstable voltages (and of course, a nice shiny BATTERY MIL to tell you all about that!).

That's why the problem doesn't replicate when you switch on/off your lights i.e when phaseI is already hot and doesn't need as much current to ignite.

Fix the charging system and all should shine like a diamond again
^ Quote from my indy who've helped me out on this one, and who've seen a few pcars having the same issues as you are having now

Good luck

Old 07-29-2014, 04:26 AM   #662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
?!?!?

Yes I know its not your kit. Bat's car problem made me realized this already. I was under the impression you were following our conversation

Check your voltage regulator "under load" it should read about 15.x volts (needs load tester, not a volt meter!). Your indy should be able to help with that. Those (brushes) gets tired with time, especially after 10+ years

Others, as important: diode, alternator pulleys, loose serpentine strap, bad battery.

There are two phases to your ballasts' power up sequence:
- PhaseI: igniters (max load at 7amps for 1~2secs)
- PhaseII: stabilization (max load 3.5amp)

When phaseI occurs, it simply drains the car system's current. If the car charging system is not up to specs, you will "certainly" get unstable voltages (and of course, a nice shiny BATTERY MIL to tell you all about that!).

That's why the problem doesn't replicate when you switch on/off your lights i.e when phaseI is already hot and doesn't need as much current to ignite.

Fix the charging system and all should shine like a diamond again
^ Quote from my indy who've helped me out on this one, and who've seen a few pcars having the same issues as you are having now

Good luck
Yes, I was (of course!) following the thread but already ordered and received the other ballasts. My next stop is a load test to test my charging system. Will give an update this week!
Edreamsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:44 AM   #663

There is a 986 on the Chinese Porsche forum here with the exact same issues that Bat and yourself are having. MIL, batt/oil, spoiler tak tak tak thingny

He was running an aftermarket 2DIN deck with LCD, 400watts amp, GPS module, some depo LEDs tailights and a nice and expansive aftermarket iPhone charger - all at the same time! When he starts the car with accessories turned ON he gets these lights, if he turns accessories OFF and start the car, all is fine.

Luckily for him it was only a bad battery but none the less, his thread is about 7 pages long lol

Luck mate
Old 07-29-2014, 04:48 AM   #664

Hahaha, he is running a lot more than me at this time . But let's hope it's an easy one!

Quote:
There is a 986 on the Chinese Porsche forum here with the exact same issues that Bat and yourself are having. MIL, batt/oil, spoiler tak tak tak thingny

He was running an aftermarket 2DIN deck with LCD, 400watts amp, GPS module, some depo LEDs tailights and a nice and expansive aftermarket iPhone charger - all at the same time! When he starts the car with accessories turned ON he gets these lights, if he turns accessories OFF and start the car, all is fine.

Luckily for him it was only a bad battery but none the less, his thread is about 7 pages long lol

Luck mate
Edreamsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #665

Update

Hey all - Aug 1st. As mentioned in a previous post, those shinny lights are long gone

Some good news: Pelican Parts have kindly agreed to carry the "Performance Bi-Xenon Optics" projector kits in their online catalogue. So they will still be available for both the Boxster 986's and the 911's in the Autumn! It should make it easier for some of you guys to simply order them from Pelican. You'll spend less on shipping and get them five times faster than if you would order them from me. Huge thanks goes to Pelican for that!!!

I'll pass over the links as soon as I see them appearing in their catalogue for sure.

August will be a busy month here, but will sure keep updates coming as usual. In a meantime, here goes the last 3 kits I've made for some friends

^ this was by far the hardest kit to see leaving, the red one, Luminoso, white angel eyes (arrrggg). That is exactly what I am dying in putting into my car
Old 08-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #666

arrrggg x1000 lol

Old 08-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #667

Garage
Quote:
^ this was by far the hardest kit to see leaving, the red one, Luminoso, white angel eyes (arrrggg). That is exactly what I am dying in putting into my car
So what is stopping you? You need to just do it! Glad to see they will be available to a wide audience
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:28 PM   #668

Me Too

The very same
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #669

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
So what is stopping you? You need to just do it! Glad to see they will be available to a wide audience
I was waiting for everyone's kits to be finalized so I can crack on a kit for myself Bruce, and that of course never happened. From the look of it, I'm looking at retrofitting my own car's headlights in Sept.

Promise an epic update, stay tuned
Old 08-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #670

Garage
Quote:
I was waiting for everyone's kits to be finalized so I can crack on a kit for myself Bruce, and that of course never happened. From the look of it, I'm looking at retrofitting my own car's headlights in Sept.

Promise an epic update, stay tuned
Sounds good, sometimes you just have to take some time for yourself
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #671

Garage
[QUOTE=Nine8Six;412713]Hey all - Aug 1st. As mentioned in a previous post, those shinny lights are long gone

Some good news: Pelican Parts have kindly agreed to carry the "Performance Bi-Xenon Optics" projector kits in their online catalogue. So they will still be available for both the Boxster 986's and the 911's in the Autumn! It should make it easier for some of you guys to simply order them from Pelican. You'll spend less on shipping and get them five times faster than if you would order them from me. Huge thanks goes to Pelican for that!!!

I'll pass over the links as soon as I see them appearing in their catalogue for sure.

August will be a busy month here, but will sure keep updates coming as usual. In a meantime, here goes the last 3 kits I've made for some friends

Hi Fred,
Great news on picking up Pelican Parts as an outlet for your projectors! They are going to be a great success for you.
Are those Gun Metal Grey Vivo projectors on their way to a domicile in Pennsylvania? Can't wait

You need to take the time and build that red set for yourself and get them installed soon.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #672

Quote:
Originally Posted by eicheldp View Post
Are those Gun Metal Grey Vivo projectors on their way to a domicile in Pennsylvania? Can't wait

You need to take the time and build that red set for yourself and get them installed soon.
They are they are!!! Well spotted As requested, leaving this Monday morning.

They are absolutely stunning... you'll also want them for your other cars, bikes, boats, whatever you need crisp and sharp lighting fitted onto lol

Hope you had a great holiday Don Mine is coming on the last week of Aug... off to an undisclosed top secret area for 1 full-short week, only. No mobile phones, PC, anything! Juss me and the wifey
Old 08-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #673

Garage
I'm so sad I can't say I got these from you (still saving the fun money budget). Happy Pelican will have them.
2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:29 PM   #674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
I'm so sad I can't say I got these from you (still saving the fun money budget). Happy Pelican will have them.
Ah you are still going to get them from me! In fact, the one who will machine, hand polish, anodize, laser etch and assemble them will be myself. (lol "by myself"... sounds like a famous scammer quote?!)

The way it will work is the (easy) machining bits will be outsourced to a friend's shop (e.g. adapter kit, cap, screw, shroud, composites) however, the bezel's precision machining, polishing, anodizing, laser, assembling stays in-house. That way I can continue to assure QC and needless to say save us all a ton of $ by being able to do this part ourselves. For info; precision machining on a thin-walled part made of highest grade aluminum, involving 2.5D, 3D, 4th multi axis both milling & lathe operations, it can quickly go up sky high in price :/ Some figures to put things in perspective: the bezel work alone (outsourced) cost $130 each (that is $260 for L&R, at "manufacturer price" with min qty requirements). It's brutal but the reality.

So that said, I am still going to have to work my cute little butt overtime to get those out on the market at a reasonable price. Lucky me I have a good buddy here who is helping me out but he is yet to be 'as passionate' as myself doing this kind of work (after hours, relaxing, bg metal cutting machine music, etc). Not his kind of thing (he like sofas) but perhaps when we'll start getting paid things may change, hoping for the best lol

RE Pelican Deal. Well, I have to admit I'll eternally be grateful to them. They are being kind here. Especially to me, but also to the crowd here and to other Porsche enthusiasts. Correct me if I am wrong but it wouldn't be the first time the team @ Pelican support a member's product. They have done it in the past and the message I got was they will continue to do so for any product/trick/tool/whatever they believe our little pcar community could benefit of. They are great people working there, ... definitely nothing to do with the other typical stone cold car part $hops!

Price-wise. Let's start by admitting that this clandestine operation had to stop (not a 'hobby' anymore lol). Some additional overhead will be required so the price may be slightly higher than previously advertised. I also have to get the product shipped out using legal means, using a registered trading co, paying my Chinese export taxes (cheap, 4% lol), and Pelican Co has to pay for storage, logistics, man I pass so many other things. The good news is these guys at Pelican have the ability to order few-more-than-one kit at a time so the prices gets so much more relaxed (thanks Pelican for that, not me. Their idea). So at the end, they are NOT going to be much more expansive than now, or whatever it will cost more it will be plenty justified, legal and fair I think

^ side comment... please do remember those kits shaves min 10 years off the look & feel of the Boxster/996s. Now that alone, to me, is priceless

As soon as the catalogue links turns up you bet I'll post them up bright red with flashy disco balls and all

A true 986forum community effort, inspiring! Thanks x1,000,000
Old 08-05-2014, 05:15 AM   #675
Gone

Garage
Very happy for you. Glad I could be part of the incubation process and love my v2.0 lights. They are the mod that people ask most about. But most important to me was the big increase in night time visibility. Fabulous product.

As soon as they make it to Pelican, I will add a review.
Davev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:46 AM   #676
Gone

Garage
Here's looking at you:

Davev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #677

Garage
AWESOME Nine8Six!

I'm day dreaming of a set of your projectors, switchback led lighting for DRL/turn signals, and integrating an auto-on switch/system. I know that may not be everyone's cup of tea but I smile when I see it in my head, lol.
2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #678

How are you wiring your angel eyes? I want to use an ignition switched 12v source independent of the parking lights. If I have to, I'll run a wire from the fuse block.

Is it possible to order male and female pins to fit the existing connector, since there is space for more contacts? If so, can someone find the part numbers?

I plan on using one relay to control the high beam so that when the low beam is on and the high beam is flashed, the shutter will open. When the low beam is off, the halogen high beam will flash. I've done this before and it works well. Another set of contacts on the relay will shut off the angel eyes when the xenon light is on.
MitchSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #679

Quote:
The covers would need to go.

Coaster, Jaykay

I see both of you wants to retrofit Litronics. My advice on that subject is this. Many values the litronic as they are, factory, Porsche brand, DOT approved, whatever reasons. They are not bad lighting at all. If your plans are to go for full bi-xenon + CGT style front-end, the best would be to sell your Litronic to a member here and buy a NEW set of halogen to retrofit. You'll break even $-wise I'm sure, and someone will be pleased to have your Litronic I guarantee. Everybody's happy

If it would be me, that's what I would do anyway. Besides, no serious R&D nor design have been carried on Litronic headlights as yet :/
Sounds like a plan! Having never even removed my lights, would I be able to interchange them at will? I want to be able to plug my Lits back in with all the original functionality....and also power up the projectors with high, low fog capability.

We would really be able to test the difference!!
Old 08-16-2014, 03:44 AM   #680

Garage
Quote:
They are they are!!! Well spotted As requested, leaving this Monday morning.

They are absolutely stunning... you'll also want them for your other cars, bikes, boats, whatever you need crisp and sharp lighting fitted onto lol

Hope you had a great holiday Don Mine is coming on the last week of Aug... off to an undisclosed top secret area for 1 full-short week, only. No mobile phones, PC, anything! Juss me and the wifey
Hi Fred,

They're Here!

The projectors arrived yesterday and the are beautiful. Right now, they are sitting on my desk, waiting for November and a trip to the mid west for installation. Cheers

Thanks again
Don