Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 12:18 AM   #281
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
The lights have made it safe and sound. They look wicked!! Let the retrofit begin!! Thanks again Fred!
Aren't you done yet? What's the holdup?

Old 02-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #282
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Ha Ha Mr. Particlewave. I'm trying to decide if i should buff the outer light lens before or after I put them in the oven. What do you think? There is just a tiny bit of hazing on one of the lights. I was wondering if baking the light with the haze still on it will make it harder to get off.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:23 AM   #283
Custom User Title Here

Garage
No worries
Baking at the temps we are using won't make the hazing any better or worse.

So...are you done yet?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #284

Guys, can you use Plastx to remove a light scratch on the inside of the lens? I have a small "smear" of light scratches on the inside.

Cheers
Edreamsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:34 PM   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edreamsz View Post
Guys, can you use Plastx to remove a light scratch on the inside of the lens? I have a small "smear" of light scratches on the inside.

Cheers
Hubert, you certainly can however not recommended. If you go ahead think about surgically clean microfiber cloth when doing so. There are no scratch (& UV) protective film on the inside part of the lens therefore any hard-dust on your cloth will make it worst (scratch the lens).

Polishing (finishing) will need to be done using a "camera lens polishing cloth'. Doable but again, got to be done in a very clean environment.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #286

Hi Fred,
Apologies if this has been asked already but this is a long thread.
Do you do a RH drive version? our beam patterns are opposite. Also how much do you charge for shipment to the UK? Fantastic product by the way, we are chatting about it on Boxa.net too.
Thanks
Richard
Old 02-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus117 View Post
Hi Fred,
Apologies if this has been asked already but this is a long thread.
Do you do a RH drive version? our beam patterns are opposite. Also how much do you charge for shipment to the UK? Fantastic product by the way, we are chatting about it on Boxa.net too.
Thanks
Richard
Hi Richard

Yes absolutely, those are available in both LHD and RHD model. The RHD projector kit is all the very same with the exception of the small cutoff plate inside the projector. The RHD beam's lift is simply projected on the right hand side. Satisfies the authorities/inspections and doesn't blind the opposite traffic.

When ever you are ready just let me know (and yes, apologies, a very long thread indeed). Any specific questions feel free to shoot me a PM anytime mate or simply post here, no worries there.

The total damage on the kit does include shipping cost to the UK. Using the top service here..."EMS Express Post" w/ tracking & insurance. Shanghai to Paris in 4 days, Shanghai to USA in less than a week.... I'm being told similar timeframe to the UK.

Need 4 (four) days to custom made a complete kit. You are looking at receiving them 10-12 days after payment.

Link me RE the Boxa.net if you think I need to get updates passed on there as well. Unless you are happy to pass the note then by all means.... tia!

Last edited by Nine8Six; 02-10-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Hubert, you certainly can however not recommended. If you go ahead think about surgically clean microfiber cloth when doing so. There are no scratch (& UV) protective film on the inside part of the lens therefore any hard-dust on your cloth will make it worst (scratch the lens).

Polishing (finishing) will need to be done using a "camera lens polishing cloth'. Doable but again, got to be done in a very clean environment.
Thanks for the tip,,,The dreaded happened to me,,I thought that the headlights where adjusted properly. This was sadly not the case (by a very small margin!)

The projector scratched the inner lens!

So, I am looking to see if somebody that is an expert in headlight restoration can remove the scratches. The scratches are fairly deep and won't just buf out with scratchX.
Edreamsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:28 PM   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edreamsz View Post
Thanks for the tip,,,The dreaded happened to me,,I thought that the headlights where adjusted properly. This was sadly not the case (by a very small margin!)

The projector scratched the inner lens!

So, I am looking to see if somebody that is an expert in headlight restoration can remove the scratches. The scratches are fairly deep and won't just buf out with scratchX.
That's a bummer. Sorry to hear about your trouble man.

regardless on how severe the scratch is, the only way I see one of those lens coming back close to original is under-water polishing, or micro filling (vacuum?). An eyewear professional locally or the-like will be able to advise on the correct procedures I'm certain. Just pray one is not too busy and happy to take your lens job quickly.

My dad had an old collection Pentax (glass) lens restored from the dead once and it came out 98% almost perfect. He sent it to one of those guys in the trade, and got it back polished the following day. I'm only hoping there must be similar ways to restore a poly lens

keep us updated
Old 02-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #290

Is the parking light still functional after installing the projector? Even if the reflector bowl is painted black?

Otherwise I might use the wire for another purpose.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:16 PM   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
Is the parking light still functional after installing the projector? Even if the reflector bowl is painted black?

Otherwise I might use the wire for another purpose.
Yes. The PL bulb, location, circuit... all remains the same and functional (as stock).

Although with the reflector painted black, it still gives this nice glare of light behind the projector. Fancy looking indeed.

What other purpose? you got me curious! Any great ideas/innovations must be shared Norm
Old 02-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #292

No great innovations, Fred, just still trying to find a way to make all functions work including the infamous required-here DRL.

If the high beam power supply is used for flashing, with either halogen or LED, does the resulting short on/offs of power to the cutoff shield solenoid create a problem?

Otherwise I was thinking of maybe using the park light wire to separately activate the flash of the bulb in the high beam position. However, I just checked the wire size of the park light and see it's only half the size of the low, high and fogs, so maybe not an option after all.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:51 AM   #293

Quote:
If the high beam power supply is used for flashing, with either halogen or LED, does the resulting short on/offs of power to the cutoff shield solenoid create a problem?
This question is to all of you folks that have done Fred's projector install and left your original high beam functional.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:39 PM   #294
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I think that the best route if you want to maintain high beam flashing capability is to leave at least the lower half of the reflector chrome and use the standard halogen high beam bulb on a relay so that the halogen bulb is only used when headlights are off (for flashing).

I would think that the angel eyes would suffice for DRLs...?
Old 02-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #295

Fred didn't think so. Therefore I didn't buy them...
Old 02-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #296

Quote:
Fred didn't think so. Therefore I didn't buy them...
RE Angel Eyes;

I know for a fact that those new high performance bi-xenon projectors meets vehicle safety inspections requirement in terms of aiming, screen distance and marking id. However nothing have yet convinced me (officially) that "angel eyes", the-aftermarket-ones, are meeting vehicle safety laws when it comes to DRLs.

I am simply unable to confirm that those angel eyes, as stunning and functional as they are, complies with Canadian (B.C) laws. Only an officer will be able to answer this question. Therefore I couldn't (personally) recommend Norm to use those as a safety feature :/

Mind you, those angel eyes design aren't the super Shinny-Bright-Light things you commonly see on other retrofitted cars. They are embedded into a housing and diffused out from 32 little 2*4mm holes. Extremely nice looking and soft lighting... show car effects only, no no DRLs!

(I could be wrong. Different countries, different laws I guess)
Old 03-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #297
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Converting some amber headlights
As can be seen, blacked out with projectors negates the need for de-ambering. Darn sexy, IMO

De-amber what? These are hot!

And finally, here is a side by side before and after shot of halogen vs HID

Old 03-01-2014, 12:43 PM   #298

Garage
Those look like mine!
Thanks Particlewave
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:26 PM   #299
Custom User Title Here

Garage
No problem buddy

I actually had 3 sets in various stages of upgrading that week, including yours. It was a busy week!
Hope to see pics of them on your car when things warm up!
Attached Images

Last edited by particlewave; 03-01-2014 at 03:49 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #300

Hey Particle,

How do you get the corner triangles off?

The little tabs broke off when I tried to remove one.

Worst case scenario is I just have to epoxy the triangle in place without the tabs I suppose.

I also wonder if there is any aligning of the lights necessary after installing the Projectors?

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote