Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Talking Painted Calipers

What a fun project. Took my time cleaning the calipers and painting them. Got the Porsche logo's off ebay.

Needed 1 can or DupiColor Red Caliper Spray Paint, 1 can of DupiColor Engine Clear Enamel paint, 2 cans of break cleaner, 2 wire brushes, one square of 400 grit sand paper, painter's tape, exacto knife. All together, under $40 bucks.

I chose to do the project without removing the calipers. I'm glad I did. No need to go into that much work unless you're building a show car. This is my daily driver.

Only thing I did was remove the brake pads.

Started by wire brushing the calipers. Then cleaned with brake clear and more wire brushing. You get the idea. Eventually got them squeaky clean.

I then used the 400 grit sand paper to sand all the surfaces of the calipers to ensure the paint has a good surface to bond too. I used the brake cleaner with a clean rag one more time. Don't rush the prep work.

Next I covered a third of the disc with painter's tape so no paint would get on them.

I used a plastic garbage bag to cover the rest of the parts by cutting a slit in the bag and stretching it over the caliper.

Next, I used the painter's tape to cover the bleeder valves, brake lines, the heads of the allen bolts that secure the brakes to the spindles, and the spindle metal where the calipers attach. I also taped inside the caliper to cover the pistons. The exacto knife comes in handy here, but is used more when removing the tape.

Now the paint. I applied thin coats of Red Dupi-Color Caliper Paint from every angle. It says to apply each coat within 10 minutes of one another. I applied a total of 6 red coats then let it dry an hour.

After the red paint dried, I applied the Porsche logo. Then 4 thin coats of the Dupi-Color high-temp clear enamel paint within 10 minutes of each other. I used a hair dryer to cure the paint.

I did this project 2 wheels at a time. The back two, then the front two.

Once the paint was dried, I removed all the tape. The exacto knife helps here.

drbodzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:57 AM   #2

They look great!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
Homeboy981

Garage
Thanks! Now THAT is a PLAN! WAAAY easier than removing the whole thing. Just "bag it" baby!

In the end did you have any runs, drips, or errors? With rattle cans you always do but how noticeable were they? Did the paint peel back at the brake bleed bolts?

Only you would notice and they look good from inside the wheels.

GOOD WORK!
Old 12-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Thanks for noticing my work :-) To answer Homeboy981, they were perfect. No runs, drips, etc. I made sure to do many light coats and no heavy ones. So there was 6 coats of red all sprayed within 10 minutes of each other. Then 60 minutes of drying before I placed the Porsche decal. Then 4 more coats of clear within 10 minutes of each other. I'm a stickler for details and I am really happy with them. And the paint did not peal back at all when removing the tape.

I'm in the process of doing a complete body kit and paint. I've got new rims and will post pics later.

Also have them on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10200238365426042.2200860.1359882149&type=3
Old 12-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Hey Homeboy981,

I'm a stickler for detail, and I will say that they came out perfect. No drips, etc. Just made sure to apply thin coats.

Also, the paint did not peal back at all when removing the tape.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #6

Garage
great write up. Ima do mine and post pictures later
TheTurk203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbodzin View Post
Thanks for noticing my work :-) To answer Homeboy981, they were perfect. No runs, drips, etc. I made sure to do many light coats and no heavy ones. So there was 6 coats of red all sprayed within 10 minutes of each other. Then 60 minutes of drying before I placed the Porsche decal. Then 4 more coats of clear within 10 minutes of each other. I'm a stickler for details and I am really happy with them. And the paint did not peal back at all when removing the tape.

I'm in the process of doing a complete body kit and paint. I've got new rims and will post pics later.

Also have them on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10200238365426042.2200860.1359882149&type=3
I guess so ! Who's doing the work ?
Old 03-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
I guess so ! Who's doing the work ?
Hi Johnny,

I assume you are asking who's doing the body and paint.

Here's the link to the posting: http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/43078-1998-boxster-project-complete-restoration.html

The body shop is Speedzone Paint and Body in Santee, CA (San Diego)

Here they are: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Speedzone-Paint-Bodyworks/113584235371778?ref=ts&fref=ts

Last edited by drbodzin; 03-05-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Tags
boxster 986 , brakes , calipers , painting