Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
2 fast 4 U

Which brake pads should I buy?

I will be changing my front brake pads soon and was wondering what after market pads would be a good quality brake pad. I have seen that the price ranges are from very cheap to very expensive. Also if my break wear light came on how much pad is left on my brakes how long can I drive it before I actually need to change them?

Last edited by redeye280z; 10-06-2012 at 11:57 AM.
redeye280z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
2 fast 4 U

Also how can I tell if I should change the rotors?
Old 10-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #3

I use Mintex pads, available from Pelican, they are OEM pads and dirt cheap. They have a coefficient of friction which borders on track pads. I have run them on the track with great results, no fade, no chatter, but they do wear out about after about 3events. Much better on the track than the expensive Brembos which were on my car, which I believe are the current spec from Porsche.

On the street, they are quiet and dust is minimal.

As long as you don't get any shake or vibration when you brake, then don't change the rotors until they have reached the wear limit.I don't have the spec but do a search and you will find it easily.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye280z View Post
I will be changing my front brake pads soon and was wondering what after market pads would be a good quality brake pad. I have seen that the price ranges are from very cheap to very expensive. Also if my break wear light came on how much pad is left on my brakes how long can I drive it before I actually need to change them?

Also how can I tell if I should change the rotors?
Brake pads really depend on how you plan to drive the car. Mintex pads are a good OEM quality pad for street use. Hawk pads offer higher heat ranges for some track use, and Raybestos ST-43 are a full race pad for extreme high heat conditions and maximum durability.

Some favor Pagid as an aftermarket pad but I had a lousy experience with them.

Measure your rotors. If they are at or near the min. runout stamped on the hat, replace them.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #5

I read somewhere on these forums that if replacing the pads they should be the same material as the set you are not replacing.

Something about braking/car balance and the ABS doing its job properly.

I just replaced my fronts on friday with Textar's from Pelican. They match the rears which are the same brand/material.

They come with the anti-squeel backing already attached.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #6

Garage
I have bought mintex pads. Beware from buying for Auto Haus AZ though. They've provided me good parts in the past but shipped me napa ones instead inside a mintex box.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster View Post
I have bought mintex pads. Beware from buying for Auto Haus AZ though. They've provided me good parts in the past but shipped me napa ones instead inside a mintex box.
Maybe that was someones return, they did their own upgrade trick and you got the pads they put in the mintex box for their return?

This seems to go on a lot and I always check before I leave the store or when something is shipped before I install.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote