Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #1

DIY Fog light LED DRLs (Daytime Running Lights)

This is my second DIY post of the day. Why?

As a thanks to all the helpful members on 986forum, rennlist, and the DIY's from pelican parts. I decided to list all the DIY's i did on my vehicle in one place, as some were from other websites than 986forum.com. Learn from my mistakes .

I've got many more coming.

Anti-Bling, Porsche 986 DIY's

anti-bling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #2

Garage
Nice post! It would be perfect if you could put a whole bumper picture and even a link to where you got your materials! Keep up the great work~
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #3

Kenny, the bumper picture is up in 10....9....8...7

I can get you the bulbs pretty darn cheap...they seem to be great quality as well. Thanks very much for the enthusiasm. Im enjoying it.

Bryce
Old 03-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #4

Sorry, we have quite the storm out here today. Itll be up tomorrow...or maybe I'll be able to get a night shot!!
Old 04-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #5

Anti, I've learned something already. Thanks for sharing and look forward to more info!
8mm/12mm Spacers w/Chrome Lugs
Debadged
Boxster Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #6

Thanks a bunch, im enjoying being able to help.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:06 AM   #7
2003 Boxster S

Garage
wiring

I checked out your blogsite, very cool - it's gonna get a bookmark for sure (and you are also a Wrangler owner, impeccable taste in autos!)

I have the DRL assemblies, the wiring, and even a on/off relay from the battery that senses when the car is running, and operates the DRLs accordingly (and saves splicing/dicing).

What I am mystified about (and that doesnt take much, admittedly) is the best path/route for the wiring from the lights into the front trunk. Like all the German's I've had before, they seem sealed like no other, and I wondered if you had any advice about this (hidden grommets, attach points, the quick way vs. easy way, etc).

I am going to bracket-mount the DRL assemblies in the middle vents of the right and left air intakes on the front and somehow route the wiring into the battery from there. (pic attached)
Old 04-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrew1 View Post
I What I am mystified about (and that doesnt take much, admittedly) is the best path/route for the wiring from the lights into the front trunk.
Does the wiring HAVE to go into the front trunk? I ran the wiring for my front radar/laser shifters around the trunk and into the area behind the dash. I have some pictures here somewhere. When I find them, I'll post them here.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
2003 Boxster S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bar10dah View Post
Does the wiring HAVE to go into the front trunk? I ran the wiring for my front radar/laser shifters around the trunk and into the area behind the dash. I have some pictures here somewhere. When I find them, I'll post them here.
I suppose it doesnt - the only caveat is it needs power directly from the battery, which is in the front trunk...they tell me...havent physically laid eyes on it yet...like so much of the internals of the 986.

I'd be interested in seeing those pics - frequently, the best solution is one I never thought of (too frequently!)
Old 04-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #10

The way I routed my wires gives it direct access to the battery. In fact, if you go through the trunk, you'll have to come back out of it again. So why not just bypass it altogether?

My wires come up from underneath the front bumper cover, along the outer edge of the trunk's rubber seal (actually, underneath it, to hold the wires in place/hide them), and into the area where the battery sits.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
2003 Boxster S

Garage
Quote:
The way I routed my wires gives it direct access to the battery. In fact, if you go through the trunk, you'll have to come back out of it again. So why not just bypass it altogether?

My wires come up from underneath the front bumper cover, along the outer edge of the trunk's rubber seal (actually, underneath it, to hold the wires in place/hide them), and into the area where the battery sits.

Did you have to remove your bumper? I am assuming so, but if not, was this somehow aided by a lift?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
2003 Boxster S

Garage
reexamined

bar10dah, I took a look this evening, and didnt see any obvious gaps/holes/rubber grommets from the front bumper to the trunk seal (which IS a great spot for making the project "invisible") - what am I missing here?

Of course, I am attempting this with the bumper attached - would undoubtedly be easier with it off.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #13

You can barely see the wire tucked up under the weatherstrip.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-bling View Post
This is my second DIY post of the day. Why?

As a thanks to all the helpful members on 986forum, rennlist, and the DIY's from pelican parts fog light bulbs. I decided to list all the DIY's i did on my vehicle in one place, as some were from other websites than 986forum.com. Learn from my mistakes .

I've got many more coming.

Anti-Bling, Porsche 986 DIY's
If not for guys like you that share that kind of DIY, I would have done the same mistake or much worse than that. Anyways, thanks. Keep it coming

Last edited by kotto; 06-30-2012 at 09:40 PM.
kotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:20 AM   #15
2003 Boxster S

Garage
Quote:
You can barely see the wire tucked up under the weatherstrip.

I greatly appreciate those - that is a fine looking routing path, very professional.

As the right and left intake are sort-of contained units, how did you wire from the frunk to the individual left and right sides? This is really where I've bogged down in the project, that is, access from the front trunk to the front bumper area. I just see no openings.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #16

Not professional at all. Just very simplistic. Professional would have been going through one of the rubber grommets. But I didn't want to mess with old rubber and possibly cause a leak.

The air scoops up front are just rubberized plastic and not "sealed". I ran the wire through a gap, up the outside edge of the front storage, along the weatherstrip, and into that "hatch" that's under the driver's side windshield wiper. The wire never entered the front storage compartment.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #17
2003 Boxster S

Garage
Quote:
Not professional at all. Just very simplistic. Professional would have been going through one of the rubber grommets. But I didn't want to mess with old rubber and possibly cause a leak.

The air scoops up front are just rubberized plastic and not "sealed". I ran the wire through a gap, up the outside edge of the front storage, along the weatherstrip, and into that "hatch" that's under the driver's side windshield wiper. The wire never entered the front storage compartment.
Many thanks - I need to jack up the front end and get to work then. I appreciate the info a bunch!
Old 06-30-2012, 12:40 AM   #18

I've put DRL in my front air vents one of my first Mods, and the way they go in is at a slight angel facing out slightly, so they don't look to in your face straight on, but more importantly I think is that you can see the full brightness from an angel, ie. if you were coming out of a side junction you would have the full effect, but not the car coming straight on the opposite side of the road.

the wiring was simple direct feed to the battery, there is the option to wire them through the side lights, so that they dim down when you put your normal lights on, but as I have changed all my lights to either LED or HID I leave them on permanently with all lights.
Guvs.
Guvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #19
2003 Boxster S

Garage
That looks great. Mine too will have a somewhat sideways orientation if I flush mount the lights with the vents, and I was concerned about how this would look, but your pics put those fears to rest.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #20

Nice thread! I'm trying to do this mod "Fog as DRL" however my relay arrangement seems to be slightly different to what anti-bling post in the blog,

anti-bling:

mine: [IMG][/IMG]
See how the purple replay is missing?

Any ideas?

Appreciate any help

panameras is offline   Reply With Quote