Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #21

Yep, you got it. FWIW: my kit did not include the plastic inserts of the steel clips at the end. I had to reuse the ones from the original ashtray kit. No big deal and well worth the $29.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #22

New member here, just recently picked up a '01 Boxster S. I'm going to turn the ashtray into an iPhone charging/playing dock. Based on the size and location, it seems perfectly suited for the purpose. Problem is... The ashtray itself has a corner chipped off of it, so no matter how perfectly I do the rest of the installation, I'll still have that chipped corner bugging me. Just wondering if anyone who is doing the "delete"mod could send me their ashtray that they no longer want. Also, if anyone has pulled the cupholders assembly in favor of something else, I think I'm interested in one of those (but don't know if they are problematic or not).
Jamezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #23

Spare Ashtray Anyone?

New to the forum... just recently picked up a '01 Boxster S. I'm making the ashtray a charging/playback dock for my iPhone (the size and location makes it perfect). Unfortunately the ashtray itself has one corner chipped off so no matter how nicely I do the rest of it, I'll still be looking at the dang broken corner. Does anyone who has done this "delete" mod still have their discarded ashtray? ------ SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST....THE FIRST ONE DIDN'T SHOW UP FOR ABOUT 24 HOURS SO I THOUGHT I DID SOMETHING WRONG.----

Last edited by Jamezo; 01-13-2014 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old 01-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #24

I've got one. It does have some wear on the exterior but was never used. Let me know.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:09 AM   #25

That would be great. Mine shows wear also and I was going to paint it. I'll happily pay you for shipping. Do you have a paypal acct?
Old 10-14-2015, 06:26 AM   #26
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to say thanks - especially Spyderman - for posting this. Bought an '03 that had been owned by a smoker and it just bothered mt to have an ashtray. Upon removal, there was a large amount of ash and cigar residue under the console. Vacuumed that out and gave it a thorough cleaning. Couldn't be happier with the non-smoker kit result. Now trying to see if I can remove the LED bulb from the old ashtray to use it to light the cup.
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:52 AM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Greetings Springman26,

The emergency brake cover is one of the factory options on my car (X98 - Aluminum/Leather Parking Brake Handle, along with X97 - Aluminum/Leather Shift Knob).

Glad the project went well for you. In my quest to make additional space available, I did a bit of dash reconfiguring as well.

I removed the cup holder module, that was at the top of my 'dash stack' above the radio, and moved the climate control module to the old cup holder position. I bought a factory storage cubby module, and inserted that where the climate module originally resided, leaving the CD storage module in its original location below the radio. While I may make it sound like moving these modules around is like playing with Legos, getting the wiring harnesses re-positioned does take considerable patience and nimble fingers. Snaking the climate control module harness up through the back of the metal support bracketry was a PITA. Being possessed with the patience of Job, I managed to get everything re-positioned and looking factory spec in about an hour.

At the end of the day, I never trusted the factory pop-out cup holders to securely hold any kind of beverage container. When I'm behind the wheel, having a beverage handy is probably last on my list of gotta' haves anyway. I'm too focused on wringing the last ounce of GO from my car to be worried about sipping on a soda.

Enjoy!
I complete the same transformation you did and I will agree moving the harness for the AC controls up to the top cup holder spot was a bit a PIMA but patience does go along way with this project. I just a bent up wire coat hanger fished through the cup holder slot down the AC controls and attached to the harness. This enabled me to get the harness started in its journey north through the very tight space behind the console brackets. I then removed the side panels for the center console and was able to get my fingers to manipulate the harness enough so I push it up to the cup hold slot. Once the harness was in this slot there is not alot of extra length to play with so connecting the harness to the AC controller was a good test of memory and soft touch when plugging in.

All the trouble was way worth it for me as I to did not trust the cup holders and thought it was a disaster waiting to happen. The new setup is great for me and now just need to source the extra storage bin to replace the CD holder which I dont use.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:31 AM   #28
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
I would like to do the Ashtray Delete, but $$$. No way!
Old 01-31-2017, 10:18 AM   #29
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to say thanks - especially Spyderman - for posting this. Bought an '03 that had been owned by a smoker and it just bothered mt to have an ashtray. Upon removal, there was a large amount of ash and cigar residue under the console. Vacuumed that out and gave it a thorough cleaning. Couldn't be happier with the non-smoker kit result. Now trying to see if I can remove the LED bulb from the old ashtray to use it to light the cup.

Just to follow up on this old post, I did repurpose the ashtray light to provide a little ambient lighting for my non-smokers cubby. I simply drilled a small hole in the rear of the cubby - just large enough that the bulb fits snugly, with maybe 1/8 " protruding. It cast a bit too much light upwards for my liking, so I simply put a dab of dark paint on top. And it doesn't generate enough heat to melt the cup housing. Works like a charm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2017, 11:07 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
Just to follow up on this old post, I did repurpose the ashtray light to provide a little ambient lighting for my non-smokers cubby. I simply drilled a small hole in the rear of the cubby - just large enough that the bulb fits snugly, with maybe 1/8 " protruding. It cast a bit too much light upwards for my liking, so I simply put a dab of dark paint on top. And it doesn't generate enough heat to melt the cup housing. Works like a charm.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Would love to see what it look like.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Old 01-31-2017, 11:26 AM   #31
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
True, that. I was looking for a pic, but it must be on another device. I'll take a pic of two when I get home.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:12 PM   #32
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Found one. This makes it appear the bulb is only lighting the rear of the cup, but it really doesn't look that way. My wife likes the ambient light it provides in the cabin at night, seeing that the real ambient lighting points (overhead near courtesy light, door pulls) are hardly noticeable.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:39 PM   #33

Nice creative upgrade. I'm sure some guys will have fits drilling a hole into the expensive piece of plastic.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Old 01-31-2017, 02:33 PM   #34
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Nice creative upgrade. I'm sure some guys will have fits drilling a hole into the expensive piece of plastic.
Right? $80 for that thing. I gulped hard when buying that, but my wife was repulsed by the dingy old ashtray. Happy wife.......you know the rest.

It's not the most OEM looking mod (I am still looking for a small "shroud" to cover the top of the bulb), but I am pleased.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:27 PM   #35

Very nice. Another on my "to do" list this summer.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
itskenallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:39 AM   #36

Bringing this one back... Just installed the ashtray delete and it is an easy swap out and looks a lot nicer than the dingy ashtray.
For any who have done his and drilled to insert the light bulb into the new tray, it looks very tight between the heated seat plugs to do this. Any pics would be appreciated.
deemce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:10 AM   #37
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deemce1 View Post
Bringing this one back... Just installed the ashtray delete and it is an easy swap out and looks a lot nicer than the dingy ashtray.
For any who have done his and drilled to insert the light bulb into the new tray, it looks very tight between the heated seat plugs to do this. Any pics would be appreciated.

Yes, it is a bit tight. I don’t have heated seats, so just blanks. But, there was just enough room to fit the bulb in the drilled hole in the cubby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk