Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 06:32 AM   #1

Clamp Shell Attachement problem...

Hi All,
I'm new in this forum, but I enjoy driving my Boxter '97 since new (only 14,000 miles...).
I just changed the air filter according to some instructions posted in the Pelican Auto Parts website (great site by the way...), and all went well until I started to put everything back together: now I cannot connect the linkage back, the hole is far back than the pin. I tried several times with no luck, I cannot find a way to move the linkage forward. The closest that I can get is about 3/4" away from the correct position.
Any ideas?

Attached Images

Ralphz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphz View Post
Hi All,
I'm new in this forum, but I enjoy driving my Boxter '97 since new (only 14,000 miles...).
I just changed the air filter according to some instructions posted in the Pelican Auto Parts website (great site by the way...), and all went well until I started to put everything back together: now I cannot connect the linkage back, the hole is far back than the pin. I tried several times with no luck, I cannot find a way to move the linkage forward. The closest that I can get is about 3/4" away from the correct position.
Any ideas?
If I follow which part you're talking about, I had to loosen the 19mm bolt (helps to use a breaker bar for leverage) that holds the boomerang shaped piece. You don't have to completely remove the bolt, just enough so you can move the push rod into place, then attach the clip and tighten back the bolt. By the way, I didn't have to disconnect anything to change the airfilter.
keithl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #3

Thanks Keith,
I'll try your suggestion this weekend and see how it goes, and I'll let you know.
Looks that I took apart a few components too many for this job...
Old 10-13-2011, 08:28 AM   #4

Why did you disconnect in the first place? There is no need to disconnect the linkage to get to the engine.
Sorry, not trying to scold, just wondering where you read or heard to disconnect the clamshell.

BTW, if you need to disconnect in the future, disconnect at the rod end while the clamshell is in service position. There is no tension on the rod and it'll pop right off.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #5

Directions were very clear in Pelican Auto Parts, and everything went smooth, the rods disconnected easily on the way out. I may have moved something while working on it.
Hopefully I'll be able to put it back together in a couple of days, and next air filter change will be a few thousand miles away...
Thank you for your suggestions too, I do appreciate them.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:48 AM   #6

It looks that after all, the clam shell lid was NOT 100% in the Service Position...
A couple of gentle touches to the rocker switch did the trick.
All is good again, but just in case I will not disconnect the linkage the next time.
Thank you for your comments in my post, I felt that I was not alone.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #7

I see why you disconnected...

Pelican has a great site and wonderful DYI and I see in figure 3 they mention that you can disconnect the linkage if you want to.

As you mentioned, you won't have to do it for a long time but FTI, you do not have to disconnect the linkage to change the filter or clean the MAF. There is plenty of access if you simply place the clamshell in the service position, remove the engine cover and replace the filter while standing on the drivers side of the car.

Love the color of the car!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:16 AM   #8

Thanks, I really like this color too, and don't care about the egg yellow color that they came up with later for the Boxter.
Here's one more pic of this car on the lift...

Attached Images

Old 11-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #9

Don't want to jack this thread but that lift is sweet. How much was that lift?
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #10

YES! I want to hijack the thread to ask the same question
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:39 AM   #11

It’s a Direct Lift Pro Park 8S. I bought it last year.
Including a jack tray, set of 4 drip trays, caster kit, aluminum approach ramps and freight it was about $ 2,400.00, it took about 5~6 hours to put it together, and it works great.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:03 AM   #12

Garage
I WANT one!....oh wait, I would have to get a garage first. I suppose the lift would look silly in the parking lot of my condos??

Ocean Blue Metallic/Savannah Beige | Tiptronic | Custom Rear Spoiler | 17" Turbo twist | Red Brembo Calipers | GAHH Top w/Glass Window | Tinted Windows | Cruise Control | Leather Interior | Heated Seats | Color Wheel Caps | Traction Control | Debadged
John99Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote