Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 10:32 PM   #1

Anyone install LED day time running lights?

Gang,

Has anyone self installed LED daytime running lights?

I saw the TechnoLite LED DRL kit that Pedro sells for $199 plus S&H: http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_2/TechnoLite_LED_DRL.html

It appears to be the same product as the iJDM product for $89:
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Audi-A5-A6-LED-Daytime-Running-Lights-Driving-DRL-p/led_audi_drl_sku77.htm

It appears that it is an easy and simple install. Has anyone done this or found any other products that you recommend or suggest?

Thanks,

Bob

bobd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:01 AM   #2

$20 off ebay:

Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #3

$20?!?!?!!? Link please?!?!?!
Parts for sale: 4-spoke Steering wheel, air bag, and leather cover ($350 + shipping), Rear zipper storage bin ($100 + shipping), CDR-210 Factory OEM radio, casing, and keys ($100 + shipping), Hand brake handle and hand brake sensor ($50 + shipping), Manual factory leather shift knob ($Free + shipping)
Tranlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H
$20 off ebay:

That is a creepy looking helmet/visor. Got any more pics of it?
Old 06-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #5

The Visor skin came from http://www.skullskins.net/

The DRLs in those pics were similar to these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRL-8-LED-LIGHTS-E-MARKED-MAZDA-3-6-121-323-5-626-MX5-/300413246075?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45f2065a7b#ht_1701wt_1138

But I've now replaced them with Ring Automotives which are in a different league - pricey though!
Old 06-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #6

Hey guys, long time lurker...first time posting. Here it goes...

i recently purchased some aftermarket led "DRL's"...im unsure as to what to hook the "hot" (red) wire up to. It should be a line that comes on when the ignition is on and off when the key is turned off...correct? Im pretty limited to whats under the hood. Any ideas?
anti-bling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #7

Day Time Running Lights

Hi Bob,

I was thinking of installing JDM LED DDL SKU68 lights on my 04 Boxster, just wondering if you did an install?

Thanks
Jim
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #8

Hi Jim,

I bought the kit from Pedro and installed them myself. I am very pleased with it. They turn on when I start the car and look very stock. I get lots of compliments on them. It also helps to update the look of the car and is a safety precaution as day time running lights.

Here is what I bought and installed. http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_2/TechnoLite_LED_DRL.html

In case my attempt to attach or embed a picture does not work, here is a link to how it came out. My Car

Pedro send you complete instructions. He is also available to answer questions on the phone. I removed the front bumper cover, that was the most difficult thing to do, but there is a great video on YouTube that a gentlemen posted that shows you exactly what to do. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um-h2aUJHY4 .

While I had the cover off, I also cleaned out the radiators as well. It is time consuming, it take me a good 5 or 6 hours, but I took my time and did everything slowly to get it done properly. I also used 3M double stick tape and zip ties to attach the lights and conceal the wires and everything else.

I was very pleased with it all and love the lights and results. To me it looks very stock and upscale. I did not want it to look like something a 16 year old put on his Honda Civic.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:08 AM   #9

Changed mine to larger Ring Automotive units, which go to half power automatically when you put on your headlights. (Also fitted a lower splitter and black mesh in the grills)

Old 08-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #10

Here's mine... hard to capture how it really looks to the eye from the camera lens.. I'd say the picture isn't quite exactly how it looks in person, but here's a picture...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:57 PM   #11

Hi bob,

Thanks for the reply, I order some lights from iJDMtoy.com. I think they have 8 lites per unit shouldn't look to bad. I viewed the bumper removal, I haven't desided where to run the wires yet or where to pull the power from, any suggestions? I was thinking maybe from the heated seat fuse as this fuse comes live when the key is turned on. I might not get at this for a while but will try to post results.

Thanks
Jim
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:46 AM   #12

Jim,

I just sent you a private message with more information on how I installed them.

Regards,

Bob
Old 09-08-2010, 06:07 AM   #13

copied from my thread on another forum

Although I did it when I had the bumper off you don’t have to if you follow this. I am not saying this is the correct way but it works. Follow at your own risk.
I have included links to Halfords just to give you an idea of items used.

The DRL’s used are from Halfords but seem to be some of the most popular on eBay just more expensive at £24.99. They also do a slightly larger version at £34.99 which use the same mounting bracket so take your pick or buy others.

You will also need:

5-6 m of wire if your lights didn’t come with any.

Some connectors assorted and fuse holder:

Down to work:

Remove the lights and thread some stiff cable or wire along the metal bumper between them:

Attach the DRL bracket to the underside of the air intake with the screws provided.

Pass the short wires from the DLR’s up to the light housing.
On the right side, as viewed from the front, tape the loose ends of your red and black wire to the stiff cable you put in and pull through to the other side. Leave about 12 inches spare and cut. Attach 2 red bullet connectors to the loose wires and attach to the DRL’s following the correct colour code which on these lights are plain black for earth and white stripe for red or positive

Leave enough slack to be able to remove the DRL’s in case you have to.
Do the same connections on the other side.
On the left of the car you should now have 2 red and 2 black loose wires. Strip these and twist the blacks and reds together and attach 1 blue male bullet to each. The females of these bullets will be attached later after the wires are connected to earth and 12v respectively.

Pass a red and black wire up the side of the light fixing and thread through the existing grommet used by the existing lighting wires

Crimp a ring connector to the black wire and attach to the earth bolt just the other side of the grommet. (Not sure if the one in the pack will fit, if not cut it to expand)

Continue with the red wire and pass through next grommet after removing the plastic cover next to the battery one. This is hard and you will have to make a new hole.

Just below the wiper arm is a black plastic cover, remove a couple of its screws (you may have to move the wipers to vertical and switch off). Drill a small hole the size of the wire as shown and thread the wire through. When you replace the screws the cover tightens over a seal and keeps it watertight)

Inside the car remove fuse box cover and pull though the red wire and attach to one end of your fuse holder.
You now need to attach this to a 12v that is only live when the ignition is on. Not having heated seats I had a spare position 6 across on the top row.
Attach a small male spade connector to the other end of the fuse holder.

Attach the female bullets under the light described above. Tidy up all wiring, tape to any existing wires or cables to prevent rubbing etc.

Feed the end through the top of the fuse box and plug in:

If you don’t have a spare fuse position (check as although I don’t have heated seats I still had a fuse in the position even though there was nothing on the other end of it). Then your best bet is going to get hold of a ‘fuse tap’. Google it there are different types and some will do away with the need for a separate fuse holder like this:

A lot of writing I know but I don’t see this job taking more than an hour or so to complete

Hope this helps

Pacemaker1000
pacemaker1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:56 AM   #14

Hi All.
Sorry this might be a bit of a late thread to this post, but like Garry I have also put "Ring" DRL's on my Boxster, this is the thread I placed on my UK orientated Boxster forum:-

"Put my DRL in tonight, was pleasantly surprised as well, when after connecting them up to a direct feed from the battery, just to see how they looked (and if they worked ) they came on but went off after a few seconds, I thought I had a duff set, but I carried on with the wiring and when i contacted them through in line fuse to be on the safe side, they again only stayed on for a few seconds, but as soon as I started the car they came back on and have stayed on as long as the ignition is left on, and switches of when you turn the engine off. saves me looking for a switch, was going to get one from Cardiff Porsche £33 + vat, :lol not now:
So to answer a few questions
1. wire them up direct to your battery.
2. If you want them to dim down when you turn your side lights on , there is a wire there that you can connect up to your side lights.

This one is with side lights and fog lights on as well.

Here are a few photos of my Boxster.

Hope this helps someone.
Guvs.

Last edited by Guvs; 04-02-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Guvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #15

Hmm..

I passed another 987 the other day, dunno what year it was but it had LEDS on the front like my 2011 Base. His looked brighter than mine, I don't know if the "S" has more or brighter LEDS or if this was an aftermarket kit.

To get mine to come on I have to turn on the park lights they do not come on with the ignition.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Tinsby
I passed another 987 the other day, dunno what year it was but it had LEDS on the front like my 2011 Base. His looked brighter than mine, I don't know if the "S" has more or brighter LEDS or if this was an aftermarket kit.

To get mine to come on I have to turn on the park lights they do not come on with the ignition.
I've yet to see an aftermarket LED DRL as bright as OEM Porsche/Audi/Mercedes LEDs.
panameras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #17

Quote:
You could easily rewire them to a switched sourced so they automatically come on, if you so choose. This would be especially simple to do if the installer ran the wire to the fuse panel in driver's footwell. Even if not, it'd still be easy to do, just need to find out where they got the + source from.

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #18

Yes well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
You could easily rewire them to a switched sourced so they automatically come on, if you so choose. This would be especially simple to do if the installer ran the wire to the fuse panel in driver's footwell. Even if not, it'd still be easy to do, just need to find out where they got the + source from.

Right... but if you put power to the front ones you need to NOT have 12vdc going to the back ones....so you need at minimum a relay or printed circuit to isolate the front LEDS power source from the rear ones. Depends if they are getting power separately from the switch (which I doubt is the case).

Then conversely when you want the rear ones on, the power has to bypass that isolation circuit and get to the front ones.

Other than that your idea is fine.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Right... but if you put power to the front ones you need to NOT have 12vdc going to the back ones....so you need at minimum a relay or printed circuit to isolate the front LEDS power source from the rear ones. Depends if they are getting power separately from the switch (which I doubt is the case).

Then conversely when you want the rear ones on, the power has to bypass that isolation circuit and get to the front ones.

Other than that your idea is fine.
I thought you were talking about an aftermkt strip of LED lights per the OP's message not the OEM set up. That being said, there still might be a way (by the dealer using PIWIS system) to get yours to do what you want. There are a ton of 'hidden' features available. In my 997 I can turn on/off DRLs (though it does turn the rear one too) if I want to or not thru the PCM individual memory settings.

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #20

Smile Drl

just completed a drl install and used a great little device to
turn them on via wiring to the cars battery, another wire goes
into the sidelights and turns them back off again when the lights
are switched on, easy job !!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Time-Running-Light-Switch-Automatic/dp/B0045HYGZ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311017090&sr=8-1

currently £18.99 delivered from amazon uk, saves alot of time and mesy wires all under the dashboard, it wires directly to the battery but for some strange reason only come on when the car has started.

Also just fitted mesh grills to the outer vents, another easy job with a bit of know how and a pop rivet gun !!

newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote