Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #21

Hey has anyone wired them up so that the LEDs only come on when you turn your light switch knob to the DRL setting when the side markers turn on?
LOL i dont want the LEDs to be on as soon as the car is on...sometimes I want a little "stealth"

cbbepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #22

Also just fitted mesh grills to the outer vents, another easy job with a bit of know how and a pop rivet gun !![/QUOTE]

How did you do this? I'd like to do the same, but not sure how.
squirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #23

On my 2001 I did the conversion of my fog lights to driving lights and replaced the bulbs with the brightest LED lamps I could find at the time around a year ago. Unfortunately, they look blueish tint. Functionally, they are fine and do the job.
Considering that almost every new car model has brilliant real white LEDs for driving lights, why can't I buy H7 bulbs that will do that??? Have any of you found some??
Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #24

Nice car and wheels

[QUOTE=Guvs;243018]Hi All.
Sorry this might be a bit of a late thread to this post, but like Garry I have also put "Ring" DRL's on my Boxster, this is the thread I placed on my UK orientated Boxster forum:-

Hello, I have just seen your post and pics, your car looks really nice. I purchased a nice Guards red 04 Boxster a few weeks ago and fancy doing the wheels in black, like yours...did you have them shotblasted and powder coated?

The DLR kit looks spot on to, which lights did you use and how did you fix then to the front bumper? From reading your post, are you saying that you just connected them directly to the batter under the front bonnet or some wires in there?

Cheers
Craig.
R33P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #25

Gary H. Where did you get the lower splitter?
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:41 AM   #26
BrunoGT

Do you have to cut the grills to fit Ring Automotive units?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
Changed mine to larger Ring Automotive units, which go to half power automatically when you put on your headlights. (Also fitted a lower splitter and black mesh in the grills)

Hello Gary,

First of all, congrats, the Ring Automotive units look great. My Boxster has the same grills on each side like yours. To fit the LED units, did you have to cut/alter the vertical supports of the grills? I'm debating between Ring Automotive (Vehicle Lighting, Bulbs, Lamps, Auto Electrical, Chargers, Battery Packs - Ring Automotive), Technolite from Pedro's Garage (TechnoLite LED DRL), and a cheaper option from eBay that has same dimensions as Ring Automotive, DRL W13 LED White 2X Slim Daytime Running Lights Fog HID Head SMD Power Xenon A | eBay. Thank you.
BrunoGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #27

Really looks good. Can you provide some info about how they wire in? And the other front end mods are worth hearing about too.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #28

I followed the guide Pacemaker posted here earlier in the thread;

the method works well,

takes some minor thought but all the info is there.

all I need to do now is wire up the lights to the fuse board. all wires are fed there ready. just need some of those fuse board jumper things.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #29

After an exhaustive search for LED panels that would work, they all seemed to look too "aftermarket". So I did the Fog to DRL conversion with LEDs. Had my audio tech do the wiring (yeah I know it's simple, but I don't like to get my hands dirty, lol).

They look great!
markmc55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmc55 View Post
After an exhaustive search for LED panels that would work, they all seemed to look too "aftermarket". So I did the Fog to DRL conversion with LEDs. Had my audio tech do the wiring (yeah I know it's simple, but I don't like to get my hands dirty, lol).

They look great!
Good mod. But PLEASE share what bulbs you used and the source. Pure white or bluish?

Bob
Old 08-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #31

I bought them from Super Bright Car LED Lights, LED Bulbs, Halo Headlights, LED Tail Lights in San Gabriel, just east of downtown LA. These guys appear to be the largest LED supplier in LA. Big and comprehensive inventory. I visited the store and it's located in a small office complex. They appear to be very knowledgeable too.

All bulbs are error free, so the check engine light is not triggered.

They have a link that identifies each bulb on my 2004 Boxster, but you can make a selection for your year model.

Lamp Replacement Guide View All Bulbs

Here's the link to all cars bulbs.
How to search the car bulb size and shop LED Lights on iJDMTOY

All bulbs are white.
markmc55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #32

[QUOTE=R33P;328939]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvs View Post
Hi All.
Sorry this might be a bit of a late thread to this post, but like Garry I have also put "Ring" DRL's on my Boxster, this is the thread I placed on my UK orientated Boxster forum:-

Hello, I have just seen your post and pics, your car looks really nice. I purchased a nice Guards red 04 Boxster a few weeks ago and fancy doing the wheels in black, like yours...did you have them shotblasted and powder coated?

The DLR kit looks spot on to, which lights did you use and how did you fix then to the front bumper? From reading your post, are you saying that you just connected them directly to the batter under the front bonnet or some wires in there?

Cheers
Craig.
Hi.
Yes had them powder coated, there is a full report/write up on BoXa.net are you registered on there ?
As for the DRL's I've changed mine now to another set, but the ones in the report you have been reading did just connect up directly to the battery no switches needed.
Guvs.
Guvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvs View Post
"Put my DRL in tonight, was pleasantly surprised as well, when after connecting them up to a direct feed from the battery, just to see how they looked (and if they worked ) they came on but went off after a few seconds, I thought I had a duff set, but I carried on with the wiring and when i contacted them through in line fuse to be on the safe side, they again only stayed on for a few seconds, but as soon as I started the car they came back on and have stayed on as long as the ignition is left on, and switches of when you turn the engine off.
Guvs - I know this is an old post however I was wondering where you bought your DLRs from? I have seen relays that do what you describe but not a DLR unit that has this function built in.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk View Post
Guvs - I know this is an old post however I was wondering where you bought your DLRs from? I have seen relays that do what you describe but not a DLR unit that has this function built in.
I've sent you a PM with the info you require.
Guvs.
Guvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #35

Hi guys,

I came across this post via goodle, basically i live in Canada and daylight are mandatory..my Boxster S 2001 had basic bulbs for daylights, my mechanic offered to replace them to LED, now only my HIDs go on, the daylight LEDs flickered and died out shortly after..

Any suggestions as to what type of LED i need for daylights?
CrazyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #36

Garage
Not sure what the Canadian requirements are but in the UK driving lights need to dim or turn off when the main lights go on. They also need to be a certain distance from the outside of the vehicle (between 25 and 40 cm I believe). Most members seem to place DLRs in the radiator grills and either connect them via relay or directly to the battery depending on the integrated electronics. I am in actually in the process of installing a set in my car.