Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2017, 08:08 AM   #21

Garage
Ok. First I believe you are working on a 01 S correct? If so here are some pics that should make things easier to understand. The 98-00 is a little different.

This picture is the bracket and hanger assembled, it is upside down but shows all the various attachment points.

The next three pics show the bolts on the hanger looking from rear of car. These bolts are captured and do not need to be backed up. The bolts pass through the top of the bracket bolted to the trans.

This last pic shows why you do not want to mess with these bolts. Access is restricted and they would also need to be backed up. However on the 98-00 there is one bolt here that is captured and can be removed without removing the bumper cover.

So are you installing an aftermarket exhaust?
Hope this helps.

Last edited by 911monty; 02-03-2017 at 08:15 AM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 08:50 PM   #22

Removing a Muffler on a 2001 Boxter

I just removed my muffler on my 2001 Boxter without taking the rear bumper off .I loosened all 4 Clamps on the left and right pipes and slid the clamps towards the muffler so that the pipes are separated. Then I removed the two nuts on both sides of the lower hangers and removed the hanger hardware. Now the muffler can move back and forth.I then put a block of wood to use as a wedge and kept the muffler as much to the rear of the car as possible.Then I removed the three bolts that hold the bracket to the transmission. And then with a little wiggling the Muffler came right out .IT wasn’t as bad of a job as I thought.

Usafrr-e-7 is offline   Reply With Quote