Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2015, 04:13 PM   #41

Garage
Good, thinking I forgot the wipers have power for return to rest.

ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #42

Garage
running lights

found the power to the wiper (black/white)
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:40 PM   #43

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
I like the look of your LED DRLs, can you advise where you bought them?
Old 05-07-2015, 04:19 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkinfool View Post
Don't know where he got his, but this outfit in China has a large selection....I have ordered various things from them and they ship quickly and have good quality stuff, in my experience.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:50 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkinfool View Post
What does it look like when the lights are off? I always wondered if a very low profile "strip" type of light could go in that position.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:52 AM   #46

Quote:
do you have any photos and or more detailed instructions on how you made the wiring connection to the wipe wiring?
soxfan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:15 PM   #47

Halogen vs LED

I originally did this using the amber LEDs . While visible, it wasn't as noticeable as I originally wanted.

Then, I changed out the LEDs for 50 watt Yellow Halogen H 7 bulb. Brighter, more eye catching.
jim_hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:16 PM   #48
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
What does it look like when the lights are off? I always wondered if a very low profile "strip" type of light could go in that position.
I had rubber strip LED's installed with adhesive, however, a lot of the LED's went bad, I suspect from being hit by small rocks/debris. I pulled them off, and having be waiting until I find a very low profile LED that has a hard plastic clear front. I really like the look of what ls1ac is using, hopefully he can share where he found them.

When I did my install, I ran a cable to the 12V switched power under the dash (through the firewall) and grounded the lights to a bolt inside the front trunk. It worked perfectly until the LED's went bad. Regardless of which power source you use, I would recommend installing a M/F plug when you run the wiring so that you can easily remove your front bumper.

Last edited by rick3000; 06-29-2015 at 08:19 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:34 AM   #49

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_hoyland View Post
I originally did this using the amber LEDs . While visible, it wasn't as noticeable as I originally wanted.

Then, I changed out the LEDs for 50 watt Yellow Halogen H 7 bulb. Brighter, more eye catching.
I have had the same experience with the white LED's. Is there any issue with the Halogen H7 burning the fog light lens when left on all of the time?
pilut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:48 PM   #50

The LEDs are much cooler than the standard bulb so there is almost no heat. I have had mine in for at least 6 years without a problem.
savinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:29 PM   #51

I am kinda lost.

So I put the fuse tap where the lights go?? On the h7 bulb or relay place. Sorry for dumb question really like this mod and have everything to do it, expect I do not understand the instructions /:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr.JonathanLanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:04 PM   #52
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.JonathanLanda View Post
I am kinda lost.

So I put the fuse tap where the lights go?? On the h7 bulb or relay place. Sorry for dumb question really like this mod and have everything to do it, expect I do not understand the instructions /:

Maybe you should swallow it and go see a doctor
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:17 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Maybe you should swallow it and go see a doctor

I made that comment Because the other forum member said "he threw up in his throat" regarding my comment.

If that offended you, I apologize.

But you are older than me, you should know better.
You should be here for help and support. Not bashing ppl.

Your comment is completely irrelevant to the question I asked. If you have nothing good to say, don't say anything.

You started a thread to completely attack me and it backfired. So stop. Get on with your life and be a positive example for younger folks.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #54
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.JonathanLanda View Post
I made that comment Because the other forum member said "he threw up in his throat" regarding my comment.

If that offended you, I apologize.

But you are older than me, you should know better.
You should be here for help and support. Not bashing ppl.

Your comment is completely irrelevant to the question I asked. If you have nothing good to say, don't say anything.

You started a thread to completely attack me and it backfired. So stop. Get on with your life and be a positive example for younger folks.

You need to learn some manners. Age has nothing to do with it. BigJake is much younger than you and never has the attitude you do.

You find it OK to make a snide remark to a member and then when the same thing is pushed back, you get your panties in a twist. If you want people to help you, try to not come off as such a smartass newbe

maybe you should do a little searching and actually read the threads. Post #1 is very clear to where the fuse tap goes, it's on the relay

Actually I did not start a thread to attack you and it is similar to one from another member. I specifically did not respond to your thread because i did not want to rain on your parade until you made an uncalled for comment. There is also nothing to backfire and in any case there not everyone shares your belief that your need to do lot of changes right off the bat. Drive the car, enjoy the car, become the car , ommm.

there have been a lot of new owners recently both here and on other forum that are doing all kinds of mods to their cars before they even drive them a bit and see what may or may not be necessary.

You want to put a bunch of crap on your car because you have more money than brains, go right ahead. BTW, the sprint booster is a waste of money and most will agree K&N filters are not such a great idea for a Boxster

Do what ever cosmetic changes you want, everyone here has an opinion and we all know what opinions are, mine included.

I see you are in San Diego, so why don't you chill out a bit, enjoy your car for a bit and then figure out what needs to be done with it.

The biggest performance mod you can do is Driver Education. I can guarantee that unless you are Patrick Long's clone, you are not driving the car anywhere near its capability. Join our local PCA chapter and you will find a lot of great friendly and helpful people. In fact there is an Autocross this Sunday at Qualcomm. Its probubly too late for you to register as a newbe, but come on down, see a lot of P-cars and meet some cool people. Hell I'll even buy you a beer afterwards

Last edited by JayG; 08-04-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:34 PM   #55

Quote:
You need to learn some manners. Age has nothing to do with it. BigJake is much younger than you and never has the attitude you do.

You find it OK to make a snide remark to a member and then when the same thing is pushed back, you get your panties in a twist. If you want people to help you, try to not come off as such a smartass newbe

maybe you should do a little searching and actually read the threads. Post #1 is very clear rt where the fuse tap goes, it on the relay

Actually I did not start a thread to attack you and it is similar to one from another member. I specifically did not respond to your thread because i did not want to rain on your parade until you made an uncalled for comment. There is also nothing to backfire and in any case there not everyone shares your belief that your need to do lot of changes right off the bat. Drive the car, enjoy the car, become the car , ommm.

there have been a lot of new owners recently both here and on other forum that are doing all kinds of mods to their cars before they even drive them a bit and see what may or may not be necessary.

You want to put a bunch of crap on your car because you have more money than brains, go right ahead. BTW, the sprint booster is a waste of money and most will agree K&N filters are not such a great idea for a Boxster

Do what ever cosmetic changes you want, everyone here has an opinion and we all know what opinions are, mine included.

I see you are in San Diego, so why don't you chill out a bit, enjoy your car for a bit and then figure out what needs to be done with it.

The biggest performance mod you can do is Driver Education. I can guarantee that unless you are Patrick Long's clone, you are not driving the car anywhere near its capability. Join our local PCA chapter and you will find a lot of great friendly and helpful people. In fact there is an Autocross this Sunday at Qualcomm. Its probubly too late for you to register as a newbe, but come on down, see a lot of P-cars and meet some cool people. Hell I'll even buy you a beer afterwards

🏻 praises for the good info, that's why I am here to know what mods work and what not.

Thanks

Old 07-18-2016, 07:54 AM   #56

Garage
I gave up on this hack, unable to find reliable LED bulbs.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #57
On the slippery slope

Garage
The ones I put in 18 months and 20k miles ago are working fine
Old 07-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #58

Quote:
The ones I put in 18 months and 20k miles ago are working fine
Donate them to a museum right away.

When this flaky LED tech disappear completely in 5 years it would be nice to have at least two that still works
Old 07-19-2016, 09:22 AM   #59

Quote:
These look great but it is hard to choose one because there are so many questionable quality ones on Amazon. Still running well? How did you fasten them?
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:37 AM   #60

Garage
I have had good success with these

2 X H7 80W LED FOG DRL Driving CAR Head Light Lamp Bulbs White Super Bright | eBay

Last edited by pilut2; 07-19-2016 at 12:55 PM. Reason: link
pilut2 is offline   Reply With Quote