Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #1

2000 Boxster 2.7 5-speed $1000 - DFW, need it gone this weekend

We have a lot going on, I need it gone! We're moving out of state this week, no time to fix it, already towing another car. Only interested in local pick-up deals, and whoever gets here first gets it. I'm starting here, and posting on Craigslist in a couple hours.

Car is located in Arlington, Texas. Call/text me at 925-699-0244.

So here's the deal - clean title in my name, no wrecks, 94,579 miles, triple black. The top is currently stuck up (1 transmission was replaced years ago, I think the other one went), and a check engine light just came on and it's a little smoky, hence the price. Not overheating.

A little about the car: My dad ordered it new in California back in 1998 (had to wait a long time back then). It overheated once about 10 years ago bad enough to warp the heads, so engine was rebuilt and IMS was addressed then (not sure which version the shop used). I've had it in Texas for about 6 years. Garage kept it's whole life. Only options on the car are the carbon fiber e-brake handle and shift knob, heated seats, and the 18" turbo twist wheels which were a factory option in the correct sizes for the Boxster.

The good:
-New front pads and rotors (Done at Zim's)
-New CV boots (also at Zim's)
^^(Unfortunately this cost more than I'm selling the whole car for)
-Doesn't overheat even in Texas - I put in a 160 thermostat
-Has some extras: 996 throttle body, 996 shifter, underdrive pulley, secondary cat bypass pipes, 160 thermostat, the cool headlights that were being sold on here, LED taillights with originals in a box...probably some more stuff I'm forgetting.
-Has the Porsche factory airbag bypass installed so you can deactivate passenger airbags for kids to ride

The bad:
Convertible top stuck up
Check engine light with smoky exhaust as mentioned
2 keys, but remotes stopped working a while back and I never dealt with it (I think it was after disconnecting the battery for something)
Probably some other minor stuff in keeping with a 20 year old car

I also have some stuff in the garage that can go with the car - M030 sway bars I never put on, Vogtland sport springs, some random boxes of stuff from Pelican Parts....

Here's a pic from a couple months ago when I had just finished a little wash and wax, no major cosmetic changes since then other than I need to wash her today.

CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:21 AM   #2

Boxster for sale

I'm interested, PM sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
We have a lot going on, I need it gone! We're moving out of state this week, no time to fix it, already towing another car. Only interested in local pick-up deals, and whoever gets here first gets it. I'm starting here, and posting on Craigslist in a couple hours.

Car is located in Arlington, Texas. Call/text me at 925-699-0244.

So here's the deal - clean title in my name, no wrecks, 94,579 miles, triple black. The top is currently stuck up (1 transmission was replaced years ago, I think the other one went), and a check engine light just came on and it's a little smoky, hence the price. Not overheating.

A little about the car: My dad ordered it new in California back in 1998 (had to wait a long time back then). It overheated once about 10 years ago bad enough to warp the heads, so engine was rebuilt and IMS was addressed then (not sure which version the shop used). I've had it in Texas for about 6 years. Garage kept it's whole life. Only options on the car are the carbon fiber e-brake handle and shift knob, heated seats, and the 18" turbo twist wheels which were a factory option in the correct sizes for the Boxster.

The good:
-New front pads and rotors (Done at Zim's)
-New CV boots (also at Zim's)
^^(Unfortunately this cost more than I'm selling the whole car for)
-Doesn't overheat even in Texas - I put in a 160 thermostat
-Has some extras: 996 throttle body, 996 shifter, underdrive pulley, secondary cat bypass pipes, 160 thermostat, the cool headlights that were being sold on here, LED taillights with originals in a box...probably some more stuff I'm forgetting.
-Has the Porsche factory airbag bypass installed so you can deactivate passenger airbags for kids to ride

The bad:
Convertible top stuck up
Check engine light with smoky exhaust as mentioned
2 keys, but remotes stopped working a while back and I never dealt with it (I think it was after disconnecting the battery for something)
Probably some other minor stuff in keeping with a 20 year old car

I also have some stuff in the garage that can go with the car - M030 sway bars I never put on, Vogtland sport springs, some random boxes of stuff from Pelican Parts....

Here's a pic from a couple months ago when I had just finished a little wash and wax, no major cosmetic changes since then other than I need to wash her today.

EdTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:39 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Working on arranging a person to pick it up and hold it a few days. (already texted)

Update: Arrangements made with RedTele58 to pick it up tomorrow for me. Rick is awesome.

Last edited by 78F350; 04-24-2020 at 12:52 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:12 PM   #4

Sold to 78F50!
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Working on arranging a person to pick it up and hold it a few days. (already texted)

Update: Arrangements made with RedTele58 to pick it up tomorrow for me. Rick is awesome.
Yes. Yes I am.
RedTele58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:40 PM   #6

Wow, I just missed this. I just live 5 miles away in Euless, l'm looking for a Boxster!
TexasPorsche986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:52 AM   #7

that is absolutely the deal of a lifetime!!

if you dont want the M030 sway bars 78F350 i'd be interested in buying!
dav9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:00 AM   #8

Garage
OK, yes... I really feel like I won the lottery with this one. Rick was gracious enough to take a whole day of his time to drive to the DFW area and pick it up for me. CraigM is the kind of seller that you always hope to buy from - cared about his car as an enthusiast and didn't try to hide any minor issues. I have a debt of gratitude to both. I just got lucky and replied to the ad directly to his phone right after he posted.

Texts with Rick as he picked it up...

The car is at Rick's house now parked behind the '84 928 that he is restoring. I will probably have some extras to sell once I get it all home and sorted through. I need to cut down a bit on all my hoarded parts already. dav9515 will get the first shot at the sway bars if Rick or I don't need them. Pretty sure I still have an uninstalled set in storage.

I'll pick it up later this week and add a build/maintenance thread in the 'show-and-tell' section when I'm ready to start in on it. I expect to fix the top mechanism, driver's window issue, water pump, AOS, and a few other minor and normal wear items.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:06 PM   #9

What does your wife say when you tell her you bought another boxster
Old 04-27-2020, 01:31 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
What does your wife say when you tell her you bought another boxster
Her first response was "Are you kidding me?". Then she texted me a picture of our unfinished living room remodel, telling me exactly what paint color she wants. When she had a moment to look over the details of the car, she was actually pretty happy about it. Still, $1,000 is not All that I'm going to have to pay for this car.