Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2018, 10:18 PM   #41
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 159
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by SteelStroke; 04-09-2018 at 09:06 PM.
SteelStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:20 PM   #42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I'll give you $5300 CASH. I'll fly to Colorado, give you the cash, and drive it home. I'll do it next week if you wanna sell. I'm serious. You can pay off your note and go out to dinner a few times with the leftover quid..

Offer stands through tomorrow only.

Otherwise, wait until April.
1. It was paid off on 1 March.
2. NO THANKS!
SteelStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:28 AM   #43
John H
 
JohnH123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 25
Will you let it go for 7k.
JohnH123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:36 AM   #44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,963
I love stuff like this when I'm selling.

"Will you let it go for 7k."

It's not an offer, its a question that can be answered (or not) many different ways.

My favorite is;
"What's the lowest you'll take for your car?" From someone who hasn't seen the car or asked one question about it.

My answer is always , "I guess $1, but not to you"

Maybe its just me but I can't understand why one would think offers for cars on a message board are a good idea when there is a PM link available.

Oh, BTW, I'll give you $7,001.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:51 PM   #45
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
I love stuff like this when I'm selling.

"Will you let it go for 7k."

It's not an offer, its a question that can be answered (or not) many different ways.

My favorite is;
"What's the lowest you'll take for your car?" From someone who hasn't seen the car or asked one question about it.

My answer is always , "I guess $1, but not to you"

Maybe its just me but I can't understand why one would think offers for cars on a message board are a good idea when there is a PM link available.

Oh, BTW, I'll give you $7,001.
I was being facetious, but was prepared to back it up with cash. The OP has been trying to sell the car like it's a weekly swap meet. I thought I'd step it up a bit. PM? Nah. This is more amusing.
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:13 PM   #46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,963
Roger that. Thank you. It’s always hard to interpret what is written on boards, emails and text.

I understand the OP has been in the process of trying to sell his car for a while now...thought I’d cut him s break and simply wish him best of luck. He’s got a very decent car.im sure spring will bring a serious buyer.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:31 AM   #47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 6
Mr SteelStroke, sent you a PM. Just got my tax refund back.
vins1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:34 PM   #48
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 159
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by SteelStroke; 04-09-2018 at 09:06 PM.
SteelStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:05 PM   #49
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 159
Update for whomever cares

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by SteelStroke; 04-09-2018 at 09:05 PM.
SteelStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 159
Price is 10K as of 4-9-18.
SteelStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:41 AM   #51
John H
 
JohnH123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 25
Mr. SteelStroke, why have you xxx'd out all your posts?
JohnH123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:48 PM   #52
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 159
Just keeping the car since I will never get even close to my investment back out of it. Poor decision making on my part. Got to live with that. Even at 10K, I am losing over 8K.

Last edited by SteelStroke; 04-10-2018 at 05:50 PM.
SteelStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:38 AM   #53
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelStroke View Post
Just keeping the car since I will never get even close to my investment back out of it. Poor decision making on my part. Got to live with that. Even at 10K, I am losing over 8K.
I purchased my 98 for $5,800, and since have put into it the same in parts and accouterments, with a plethora of preventative maintenance parts waiting to be installed. All in all, since purchasing the car last August I've spent ~$13,500. That said...

If I blew the engine tomorrow I'd have a roller worth little. Does that bother me? No. I purchased the car to enjoy, on my terms, with no expectation of ever recouping my money. However, I do know I've a solid ride. Likely I'll own it forever, just like the '86 325 I've had since '94 (and dropped $13 in 2 years into it).

Unless so desperately you need the quid... just keep it, driving it forever.

You're not losing anything... nothing... zero... until you sell the car.

Now, go drive the **************** out of it.
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #54
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I purchased my 98 for $5,800, and since have put into it the same in parts and accouterments, with a plethora of preventative maintenance parts waiting to be installed. All in all, since purchasing the car last August I've spent ~$13,500. That said...

If I blew the engine tomorrow I'd have a roller worth little. Does that bother me? No. I purchased the car to enjoy, on my terms, with no expectation of ever recouping my money. However, I do know I've a solid ride. Likely I'll own it forever, just like the '86 325 I've had since '94 (and dropped $13 in 2 years into it).

Unless so desperately you need the quid... just keep it, driving it forever.

You're not losing anything... nothing... zero... until you sell the car.

Now, go drive the **************** out of it.
Well said! Also Mr. Steele you will generally never get back what you invest in a car. Unless you find those super low production rare cars you will never generally make money. Even then car collecting is a fikal mistress.
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:54 AM   #55
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"
 
10/10ths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: The Road
Posts: 721
Cars are for driving.

Bonds are for investing.

Again, the Race exhaust does not match the tiptronic transmission.

I will +3 the above posts.

I bought my 2004 in 2015 and l immediately spent $8,000 on preventative maintenance. And that was on top of over paying for a cream puff example.

I will NEVER get my money back.

But, the past two and a half years and 25,000 miles have been priceless!!!
__________________
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:53 AM   #56
John H
 
JohnH123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelStroke View Post
Just keeping the car since I will never get even close to my investment back out of it. Poor decision making on my part. Got to live with that. Even at 10K, I am losing over 8K.
Don't think of it as losing 8k, think of it as the cost to drive a Porsche for how ever long you owned it. Your return of investment was the joy you experienced every time you drove the car. We all know these cars are not cheap to run, especially if you don't DIY. Cheers
JohnH123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:19 PM   #57
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,963
I’m nowhere close to $8k in stuff in my car (including tires) in 10 years and 55k Miles. Last time I checked, I think my costs for 10 years was around $4.5k. All my maintenance is up to date for my car with 134k miles. My car is stock except for the radio!

I’ve done all the usual stuff (coolant tank, voltage regulator, water pump ignition and headlight switches, CV boots. Suspension and wheel bearings. No IMS bearing or clutch yet...one day, maybe!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page