Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2017, 09:10 AM   #1

WTB: 1997-1999 986 (may consider other years)

Hello!

I've been looking for a Boxster for some time; there have been interesting prospects but so far nothing has culminated in purchase. So, I figure why not post a WTB and see what happens?

I've been wanting to start HPDE/auto-x for sometime and if momentum carries me () I'd like a car that I could develop into spec, which means 97-99 (preferably 98-99). I might consider other years if the car were right ('00-02 base perhaps)... Maaaybe.

I'd prefer SoCal for logistical reasons (I'd almost certainly want a PPI, with rare exception). I'm also in San Francisco twice, sometimes three times a month, so NorCal would be a second option for the right car.

As far as price: what are everyone's thoughts? It seems all over the board. I'm seeing pretty good cars not sell for $7500 (or take a very long time to). And I've known a handful of good cars (no accidents, but high, well-kept mileage) go for around $5500. But advertised prices would suggest otherwise--some people are asking $10,000+ far a car, right next to an ad of an identical car asking half the price. (I know purchase price is a different matter, but the disparity is pretty wide.) Anyway... I'm just curious what cars are actually selling for....

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Boxster_S_girl; 03-27-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Boxster_S_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #2

Based on what I've seen from studying BRZO constantly, the current 986 market looks something like this. Keep in mind these are all asking prices on Craigslist, so I don't know exactly what every car eventually sells for.

$3500: Basic (i.e. no options) 2.5 with engine or other major issues
$5000: Basic 2.5/2.7 with no major issues, no service history
$6500: Good color or good options or low mileage 2.5/2.7 with service history, or 3.2 with major issues
$8000: Good color, good options, low mileage (pick two) 2.7 with service history, or basic 3.2
$10,000: Good color + good options 3.2, or immaculate 2.7
$14,000: Good color + good options + immaculate 3.2 with full service history and low mileage
$25,000: Ready-to-race Spec Boxster

My 2.7L is a good color (Arena Red) with good options (Full Leather, Litronics, 18" Turbo wheels, etc) and extensive service history (RMS, IMS, clutch, water pump, new transmission, etc), plus it has a hard top, which is why I have it priced at $8000.

Last edited by hushypushy; 03-17-2017 at 05:18 PM.
hushypushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:13 PM   #3

Hi Boxster S Girl,

I don't know if you've had success in your search, but my wife is preparing to sell her 1998 Boxster here in Southern California.

128K miles
Silver w/red int, black top with new'ish clear replacement window (plastic for originality--and weight savings!)
Sports Touring pkg. (17" wheels, leather-wrapped gearshift & handbrake with aluminum accents, silver + leather roll bar, better stereo, etc.)

Maintained by Hergesheimer Motorsports here in Orange Co., California.

She bought the car new in '98, very well maintained, all receipts.

Here's the good part--we just replaced the IMS with that hi-po ceramic bearing solution, including a new clutch & new set of Michelin Pilot Sport tires on the rear. Very nice car that's been consistently driven and cared for, always garaged.

As far as price, with the recent work we'd *like* to getsomething close to $10K. Let us know if you're interested (PM me?). I can send pix. And we are here in Orange Co. We'd really like the car to go to someone who will give it a good home!
MartyDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:20 PM   #4

Hi Marty!

Thank you for your response! I sent you a pm...
Old 04-04-2017, 01:23 PM   #5

98' Boxster For Sale.

If you're still looking, I just sent you a message.
SFSTRAT1476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #6
groves115

Smile 1999 boxster

Hi I have my 1999 porshe boxster for sale for 4,500 it has 86,000 miles on it. The auto transmission seal is blowen. Needs to be replaced. I already bought the kit. Bought to repair lost interest in it. Don't have a title to it. But do have a bill of sale for it. If you like can call me at 702 809 four six four six thanks wayne
groves115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:44 PM   #7

Going to ride the coat tails of this thread.

I too am looking for a early model Boxster (Manual) owned by an enthusiast and preferably located in California.

A clean car with good maintenance records is most important, color and options are negotiable. Budget is under 9k.

PM me if you have anything of interest.
ibdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:24 PM   #8

Hey! Get off my lawn!

LoL I'm kidding.

There are some GREAT cars in Norcal. I'm up in SF every few weeks, and so far I've seen and driven a few great cars up there, unfortunately, I'm unable to drive any car down to SoCal in the near future for personal reasons.

HushyPushy has an incredible 2.7, that I'd grab in a second if I didn't specifically want a 2.5. SFStrat has a good looking Silver/Red 986 with great options added (I was in SF and was supposed to look last Friday, but got too busy to squeeze it in). Both are on this thread.

Most of the cars don't have much documented history though. It seems they've all had at least one owner that didn't care as much to keep records. So far the most complete history I've seen is HushyPushy's car. Definitely have a look at his. It's stunning and well-kept...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibdavid View Post
Going to ride the coat tails of this thread.

I too am looking for a early model Boxster (Manual) owned by an enthusiast and preferably located in California.

A clean car with good maintenance records is most important, color and options are negotiable. Budget is under 9k.

PM me if you have anything of interest.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:56 PM   #9

Docs are an interesting thing thing as our cars age. I've always been a docs guy but now question how important a complete history really is.

Our cars are not collector pieces and other than the rare car, will never be. These cars are drivers or toys.

I have docs for my car but wonder if they would really be of value to a potential new owner when if I decided to sell. How would buyer know if docs are real? Would they deduct for the fact I did my own labor as opposed to a professional wrench?

I know I no longer have all my receipts for everything but I do have dates, items and mileage noted in an excel file. Is that good enough?

Even when I look at my own records, the fact that I changed an ignition switch in 2009 relevant to a potential buyer/ . How about the fact I did it again four years later? What about my coolant tank in 2010? Should the new owner breath easy knowing I changed it or should they be thinking it may need to be done again?

Knowledge is power. I'm all about disclosure but beyond the fact that I, or another owner has made an effort to document, most data over 3-5 years old is irrelevant.

Give me recent history...Tell me about fluid changes, tires, brakes, clutch or any recent repairs and I'll take my chances and adjust asking price accordingly.

After all, the 'newest' 986 is now pushing 14 years old.

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote