Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2016, 09:46 AM   #1

Well-sorted 2001 Boxster S Black/Tan/Black Manual IMS/Clutch done *UPDATED* $10,500

Hi all. I have much better pictures now and thought it would be better to just start a new thread based on how many questions I have received about the car. You guys sure like doing your due diligence

Car is located in SYRACUSE, NY

CLEAN TITLE, 119,500 miles

- Six speed manual transmission
- 3.2l Flat 6 cylander engine, absolutely rips
- Metallic Black Exterior (looks a bit golden in very direct sunlight)
- Black and Savannah Beige/Black interior
- 6 speaker system with AUX in wired into the factory unit
- Litronic Xenon Headlights
- Black Porsche Fitted floor mats
- New Convertible top - OEM A4 Haartz fabric and GLASS window with rear defrost upgrade this top is perfect and seals so well you can go through touchless washes
- Ice cold AC

At 113k, it had the following done WITH RECEIPTS at a cost of over $4k:

- LN Engineering Ceramic IMS Bearing
- New OEM Clutch, Flywheel, Pressure pate and ToB
- All 4 new lower (coffin) control arms
- All 4 new rotors (pads at about 80%)
- Drop links
- Differential Output Seals replaced with diff Fluid
- Brand new Battery

Since 113k miles:

- Front and rear bumpers, trunk lid resprayed, no rock chips, no scratches

- on 9/21/16 I had the entire car paint corrected by the guy in Syracuse who does all of Can-techs Ferraris, GTRs and my Boss' MP4-12C, cost over $300 and the car shines like the sun, but uh, more blacker

- All four tires replaced, mounted and balanced, Hancook Ventus V12 Evo 2s 335/45r17 front and 255/40r17 rear, fronts have less than 3k miles on the, rears about 5k, four wheel alignment at BeeLine in Auburn, 1/32 OUT front @ -0.8 degrees, 1/16 IN @ -1.5 rear, this is the ultimate street alignment set up, the turn in is unreal and the car tracks perfect at 120mph

- All Spark plugs and Tubes replaced with OEM Bosch

- rear struts and tower mounts replaced
- IBC six speed shift knob and boot
- Drive's upstream O2 sensor replaced
- Dash speakers replaced in OEM style
- Electric top transmission arms replaced and top realigned
- Coolant cap replaced with correct 996.004 replacement
- Clutch switch replaced
- Xenon headlight bulbs replaced
- Removed front bumper and cleaned radiators
- Removed rear bumper and painted rubber bumperettes
- Headlight leveling system realigned
- Throttle body removed and cleaned
- all drain holes cleared
- front seats removed and carpet cleaned

Condition:

Interior - Everything looks pretty good. There is a little wear here and there, bottom of the seats, some of the crappy plastic has scratches but nothing that stands out too bad. The dash is perfect. Compared to other Boxsters of age and mileage the interior is great

Exterior - Car is 15 years old. The paint looks good. There are rock chips in the front hood, and a few minor scratches here and there (but no door dings). Overall you will be proud of how the car looks, and it shines up great with a wash and quick wax.

Issues -

1. The cruise control does not work. I never use the cruise so it doesn't bother me.

2. The passenger side seat electric tilt does not work. I am not sure why this is, but its not in a bad position

3. Driver's door micro switch for re-closing the door is dead, I have a replacement, will probably be done this weekend

The two best moths for driving a convertible in CNY, September and October are still to come, and you'll have most of November as well.

I financed this car with Empower Federal Credit union, they are super easy to work with, and will give you a title release form on the spot when we go there.

$10,500.

OK, now on to all the questions everyone seems to be asking.

- Do you have receipts for service?
The only receipts I have are for the work listed above, anything before 113k I do not have receipts for.

- How long have I owned the car?
I bought this car in April from a 55 year old couple in Pittsfield Mass after finding it on craigslist. Husband bought it for the wife in return for her giving up her Harley - haha - they both decided that it was too small and low for their liking. I think this is a completely reasonable reason for selling a car.

The husband was the one who did all the expensive IMS etc work, and gave me the receipts. Obviously all the control arms, rotors, drop links were visibly brand new, and the clutch was obviously brand new as well, and you can still tell just by looking at them and feeling the clutch.

- Why am I selling the car after owning it for six months?
Like many things in life, there are many reasons:
1. I put a ridiculous offer in on a short sale house and much to my excitement the bank accepted and I'd like to free up some funds for furniture and home repairs and everything else that comes with buying your first home.

2. I like this car, it runs unbelievably well. I wanted to try a Porsche, and I put 7,000 miles on it this summer driving EVERYWHERE with my GF. I do think down the road I'd like something a little faster, and having an 8 year old, I'd also like a rear seat, so I think maybe in a year or so I'd like to pick up a 911. I'm sold on Porsche, I'm just used to more torque from S4s and and e92 335s.

3. To be completely honest with you, I am having a bit of an issue with brand image. A lot of people in my work like pulling up in brand new $18-25k Hyundais and going "OMG YOU HAVE A PORSCHE HOW MUCH MORE DO YOU MAKE THAN ME?!" And it doesn't matter how many time's you explain that it's a 16 year old convertible that cost 1/3rd of their truck or Elantra, it's always "YEAH, BUT IT'S A PORSCHE, YOU MUST BE MAKING SO MUCH". I'm 31 with an MBA and have worked extremely hard to get into an account executive role at a digital marketing firm. I really don't think a an $11k sports car is unreasonable after working here for 3 years, but no one wants to listen to any narrative but their own. At the same time, everyone who does know cars goes "oh so you couldn't afford a 911 har har derp", "oh I bet my buddies tuned STI is faster herp derp har" and after a while I'm just tired of it at every single conversation. So at this point in my life I'd like to prioritize a little and fly under the radar more.

I don't think any of the above is an unreasonable or unusual reason to sell a vehicle. Under normal circumstances I would absolutely save everyone from hearing a life story, I am self-aware enough to know this is annoying, but I keep getting hammered 2-3 time per week by people suspicious of selling a summer sports car after owning it for a summer.

This car is outstanding; I am certain the first serious person to see the car will buy it. That being said I completely welcome a pre-purchase inspection, I am so confident in this car mechanically and aesthetically I will even have the PPI done at the full Porsche dealership in Syracuse (Burdicks) where you KNOW they will find something just to justify their cost. .

So I will give you the following options when you come to buy the car:

1. You show up at my house out in the country and I will have the car on 4 jack stands with the wheels off, we will go through every square inch of the car, all the receipts, everything I've fixed on it then go through a hell of a drive through some curveys, some back roads and some highways.
or
2. I will have the car inspected anywhere you like, then you show up and we still go on a great drive and I still talk your ear off about everything I've done to it.

Still happy to answer any questions you may have, hope this doesn't come off annoyed at all, I just want to provide the information people are asking anyways, and I had a free hour to type. Please text or call 315-289-five zero five five

50 high res+ pictures: top up, top down, travel, direct sunlight, mom, dad, interior,, exterior -- I even threw some side-boob in there for you fellas.

Kyle's 2001 Boxster S 6mt - Album on Imgur

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 1.37.42 PM.jpg
Views: 2081
Size:  375.4 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 1.37.35 PM.jpg
Views: 1630
Size:  414.4 KB

I don't at all need to sell this car. I just thought I'd see what the interest is like. If it doesn't sell in the next two weeks or so, It'll simply go into may barn for the winter, and I will probably do HR springs, Bilsteins, an exhaust and a gt3 front bumper and keep the car. I am currently NOT interested in selling this car for Under $10k. I have about $13,500 into this car so far since buying it. I realize that I paid to much for the car; I accept that no one is going to give me what I put into it. However I think people viewing this forum who keep calling me an offering $8,500 really need to understand something:

You're just not going to get an S car, with this level of maintenance, and in this condition for under $10k. It's just not going to happen. Trust me, I spent 3 months trying to find this car. There are some other GREAT cars just below this post that are going to 11-12.5k with all the maintenance done. Thats because any S car that is less than this is not going to have a new top, new brakes, new tires, new clutch, etc etc etc and you WILL eventually have to pay for it, and YOU WILL end up paying more than 10k in the near term.

If your budget is under $10k, I highly recommend looking at a non-s car instead: I think they are wonderful, and have very little difference in driving over the S car. My friends who have non-s cars have just as much fun as me, could probably all whip me in and AutoX anyways, and paid thousands less.

Last edited by orangeman; 09-22-2016 at 11:08 AM. Reason: clarity
orangeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:24 PM   #2
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Car looks great and I love your story! I would definitely buy this car but, as is the situation of a lot of people on this board, I need to sell mine first (also a 2001 but a tiptronic)!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:23 AM   #3

Thanks Jesse. What weather for driving right now! 65* and sunny every day. Drove down to Watkins Glen just this past weekend and it was sublime. Had two different people come see the car this weekend; seemed like tire kickers, and no real offers yet.

I really don't want to put the car in the barn for 6 months and pay insurance on it. Best offer over $9,500 takes it. My first time selling a convertible in upstate New York, so I don't know if maybe I should just wait until May and it'll go for $10.5k+
Old 09-27-2016, 06:00 PM   #4
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Very tempting... I don't have room for 2 Porsches!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:14 PM   #5

Not in the market for the car but enjoyed the well written piece.

1 - outstanding clown shoe. That was the other car I was trying to track down when I bought my 986. Very short supply in Canada though.

2 - pm me your paint regimen if you don't mind. I have found a good one myself but I'm always open to possible improvement.

Best of luck with the sale.
Jim Rockford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:36 PM   #6

After seeing your photo album

Reason #4 My garage is so full of $#!+
fanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanguy View Post

Reason #4 My garage is so full of $#!+
Lol, yeah I really need to get the '65 vette out and about. Car's great to drive. And yes, due to the move and new house, everything is stuffed into the garage.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rockford View Post
Not in the market for the car but enjoyed the well written piece.

1 - outstanding clown shoe. That was the other car I was trying to track down when I bought my 986. Very short supply in Canada though.

2 - pm me your paint regimen if you don't mind. I have found a good one myself but I'm always open to possible improvement.

Best of luck with the sale.
It's really interesting that the coupe (a '99 S52B32US with 70k miles) was $45k in 1999 and is now worth $25k, but the Porsche was $60k in 2001 and is now worth $10k.

Is the coupe more rare? Yes. Is it cool? Sure. Is it faster than the Porsche? No. The coupe has better low end torque, but that could also just be the gearing in the 5spd vs the ridiculously high final drive in the boxsters 6spd. The porsche absolutely handles easier. which is to say that driving through curvies in both, it is much easier to keep up a certain speed in the boxster, but ultimately with a good driver, their limits are similar, the boxster is just much more easy to take there. Currently the coupe as better bridgestones on it however, and I think with a much more appropriate 2nd gear, would probably beat up the boxster in an autoX, but I haven't had them both in the same one to know. Out on the road the boxster is easily as fast, and I would bet faster from 50mph to 120. This boxster really cooks once you're over 4k in 3rd gear +.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:52 AM   #9

Car is sold.

Well-bought by a handsome gentleman from NJ! Enjoy!
Old 11-02-2016, 05:11 PM   #10

Thanks for the handsome reference lol

ericv is offline   Reply With Quote