Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2016, 07:06 PM   #1

Garage
FS: 2001 Boxster S - Price Drop

***SOLD***
Time to sell my 2001 Boxster S. I've purchased a 2013 Boxster S and need the room. I purchased the car in 2013 with 89K miles; it now has 120K miles. I have receipts for all work performed during my 3 years of ownership. The car has been serviced by EuroTech, European Auto Repair Service during my ownership.

- Biarritz White with Savanna Beige interior.
- Glass rear window.
- 6 spd manual transmission.
- Tires are BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2. The rear tires are new with less than 500 miles on them. The fronts have about 15K miles on them and are about half tread.
- Wheels are 18” Carrera, good shape right rear has slight curb rash.
- De-ambered headlights.
- Clear turn-signal side markers
- Tail lights are aftermarket with an LED brake light.
- Equipped with a Paint Protection Film (clear bra) on the front bumper, hood, fenders and mirrors. The PPF is showing its age, but has done an admirable job of protecting the paint.
- IMS has NOT been replaced, but is equipped with IMS Guardian warning system. IMS Guardian
- Replaced leather on drivers seat side bolster, the seat pan and bolster need new skin.

was asking $10,900

NOW $9,900

Last edited by Atomicblue99; 08-03-2016 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Price Drop!
Atomicblue99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:20 AM   #2

Garage
Beautiful car at an excellent price with all the right upgrades.

I hope it goes to a great home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:18 AM   #3

Garage
Man the fun to cost ratio on a Boxster S is fantastic. Slap some race pads on this thing and go AX or DE it...drive it to and from the track. How can you going to get into racing any cheaper??

Plus you get to have a fun weekend car with the little lady. If I was anywhere near FL, I'd probably buy it just to have a backup! :-)
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:12 PM   #4

I do not need this car!
I do not need this car!
I do not need this car!

It's my favorite color combo with my favorite wheels.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:43 PM   #5

How do you like the 981? I drove both recently and they feel so different. The 986 you feel more up high, like the cockpit of a fighter jet. The 981 feels more "in" the car, like a tank.

986 just felt more fun to me but obviously not as nice as the 981. I'm debating which to get!
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:26 AM   #6

Garage
Oh yes you do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
I do not need this car!
I do not need this car!
I do not need this car!

It's my favorite color combo with my favorite wheels.
dghii, you know you want it. It's calling to you... It needs you as much as you need it. You were meant for each other!
Old 05-05-2016, 06:21 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post
How do you like the 981? I drove both recently and they feel so different. The 986 you feel more up high, like the cockpit of a fighter jet. The 981 feels more "in" the car, like a tank.

986 just felt more fun to me but obviously not as nice as the 981. I'm debating which to get!
Grunson,

I LOVE the 981. I agree the two Boxsters do feel very different. Driving the 986 again was a bit of a shock after a 1200 mile drive in the 981 (driving home from Texas after purchasing). Fighter jet/tank analogy is a good one. But this tank handles like a fighter jet :-)

Understand, I got the 986 after 6 years in a 93 Miata. So, initially the 986 felt large to me; and the power was a huge step up. The transition from the 986 to the 981 is a similar feeling - the interior size is bigger, the creature comforts, technology, and power are all increased.

I drove the 986 to work on Tuesday, and I must say it's still a joy. It feels light and nimble. The lower window sills and thinner "A" pillars compared to the 981 give an impression of airiness the 981 can't replicate. The other big difference in my cars is the 986 is a 6 spd manual vs the 981's PDK. While the PDK continues to amaze me with its lightning quick shifts and intuitive logic, nothing can replace the "connected" feeling a manual transmission provides. The manual on the 986 is still very smooth, working through the gears with a solid feel. It's still the second best shifter I've ever used; the Miata is the best.

From an everyday usability stand point (the Boxster is my daily driver), the 986 is a good every day sports car, the 981 is a great everyday sports car. The 981 is a bit bigger in side, the trunks are a little bigger, the infotainment is better and it’s quieter on long drives. Oh, and the 981 gets better fuel mileage.
When you look at it from a cost perspective the calculations get a little more complicated. I got a great deal on the 986 when I bought it, so from a depreciation stand point I’m not going to take too big a hit when it sells. However, the maintenance on an older car (regardless of make) is more frequent; with a Porsche it’s also more expensive. I need to go through all my receipts and add up the cost for my time with the car. I have a feeling it will still be cheaper than the costs of the 981.

When I bought the 986, I wanted to see if I could afford the ownership experience of a Porsche. I was just back from a year in Afghanistan and figured I’d give it a shot. I think I made the right choice. Financially, I had the money to pay cash for the 986 and the income to afford proper maintenance from a very good independent mechanic. I did some light maintenance (brakes, air filters, and oil changes) myself.

My financial situation change again last year and the wife suggested I get a newer car (and one with an automatic so she could drive it too). It was never really a question of what I would get. I briefly considered a 997 Cabrio, but decided to stay with the 981. Another advantage of this 981 is it’s a Porsche Certified vehicle so the warranty is almost 3 years long for me.
As you debate between 981 and 986, consider several factors. Is this a daily driver, is it a long commute? Do I have the cash flow to afford the maintenance? Do I need/want a car with a warranty? Do I require the latest tech (nav/Bluetooth/mp3)? Is purchase cost the biggest hurdle? Bottom line is both cars a very fun to drive, but with different personalities. Drive both, do your analysis, and decide.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:33 AM   #8
midlifechrisis

your boxster for sale

where in florida are you? I will be in Orlando next weekend. let me know if you are in that area I might be able to take a look at the car. (interested buyer- sold my 200S to bigjake a couple years ago and really would like to get another - been driving a 2000 audi TT ,fun car too , just not a Porsche!)
Phil
Drphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:17 AM   #9

Hey I really like the

P O R S C H E letters

On the rear panel/trunk. Can you tell us where you got that/how you got it put on? Thanks
AmongstEnemies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:56 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmongstEnemies View Post
Hey I really like the

P O R S C H E letters

On the rear panel/trunk. Can you tell us where you got that/how you got it put on? Thanks
It was that way when I bought it. The prior owner had it done. If I remember correctly, he got the letters from Porsche and then did a very good job of applying them. If you search this forum, you can find some info on how people have done this.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:48 PM   #11

where about's in central FL are you located? I'm in the panhandle.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:10 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
where about's in central FL are you located? I'm in the panhandle.
East Central, Merritt Island specifically.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:49 AM   #13

Garage
Bump and a price drop.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:29 AM   #14

Garage
Yikes. Scary that a car this nice isn't selling. I realize the miles are @ 120K, but that said, this Boxster deserves a good home. Good luck with the sale; I hope you find its new owner soon.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:41 PM   #15

Wish I was in a position to make a purchase. :-(
jcauseyfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #16

There are tons of Boxsters with low miles so these high mileage cars are hard to sell without a steep discount. Everything is relative.
Damaged seat is also going to turn people off.
sugarwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:39 AM   #17

This would be a good car for a 3.6 or 3.8L motor swap... Hmmmm
JEhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:00 PM   #18

Garage
If this may be one for the wife.
Love the color combination.
I'll see what see has to say

Good Luck with the sale!

Bart
My Beast 2004 Boxster SE #0174
- 3.8 with all the internal goodies, Under-mount Pulley, IPD Plenum, 996 Intake, Softronic Tune, 987 Factory Sport Exhaust, skid plates, IMS solution, Ohlins R&T, RSS Toe Links, Camber Plates, Michelin Pilot Super Sport on all 4 corners, Alpine Double Din c/w new speakers & amps.
Muskoka Minute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:31 AM   #19

oh wow, Willing to put it on a boat..?
Perfect combination of colors imo

Edit: Jikes import fees/custom fees are crazy high... Too bad

Last edited by mr.borrie; 06-09-2016 at 01:05 AM.
mr.borrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:29 PM   #20

Why is this car not selling?
Are these cars unsellable after hitting 120k miles?

sugarwood is offline   Reply With Quote