Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2016, 08:41 AM   #1

FS: 2000 Porsche Boxster S - Tastefully Modified - Orlando, FL

SOLD

About car:

Year: 2000
Make: Porsche
Model: Boxster
Sub-Model: S
Transmission: 6 Speed Manual
Miles: 84,500
Interior Color: Black
Exterior Color: Arctic Silver Metallic
VIN: WP0CB2985YU660163
Asking price: SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD

You can reach me via PM or via email @ dgrozio (at) gmail.com with any questions, additional picture requests, etc.

Asking price is of course open to offers. Car is listed in multiple locations and may be unavailable at any time. Local sale preferred, will assist with arranging shipping if needed. Shipping at buyers expense. Cash, wire transfer, or verifiable bank loan check only.

As I dislike car listings that only include 2 pictures and four lines of text, I have included as much information as possible below. I have also been told I am highly critical when I sell cars and fail to properly convey in how good of shape they are in. With that said I’d rather a buyer be happier with the car when they see it than disappointed that something was left out.

Details:

I purchased this car in late May/early June 2015 with the intent of using it as my weekend car as I have two little kids and need a larger vehicle during the week. Since purchase my wife and I have enjoyed several nights out in it and I have squeezed in several additional fun late nights of driving. However, the car is spending more time in the garage than I imagined and due to competing priorities it’s now time to find it a new home.

The car has the premium sound with digital sound processing, 6 disk cd changer, and cruise control.

Since I have taken ownership I have done the following work to the car:
• Replaced soft top with Sierra (GAAH) A5B/DS German Acoustic Cloth black top with glass window
• Added Comfort Top module (single click down/up, up to 20 miles per hour operability, no handbrake)
• Replaced egg-yolk headlights with 2003+ clear headlights
• Replaced OEM tail lights with Depo LED tail lights
• Replaced OEM brake light with clear Depo LED brake light
• Replaced OEM side marker lights with clear Depo LED side marker lights
• Added Klisstle brushed aluminum painted roll bar covers
• Replaced MAF sensor
• Replaced before catalytic converter O2 sensors
• Replaced gas cap & gas cap strap clip
• Replaced windshield wipers with Bosch ICONs
• Replaced cabin filter with Mann charcoal filter
• Debadged trunk (removed Boxster S)
• Badged trunk with Porsche Panamera ‘PORSCHE’ logo
• Changed oil x2 with Mobil1 0W40
• Changed oil filter x2 with Hengst filter
• Checked multiple times for filter debris, none found
• Mist cleaned engine bay
• Replaced oil drain plug with magnetic LN engineering plug
• Replaced dash speakers with Rockford Fosgate R14X2
• Cleaned throttle body
• Replaced serpentine belt with Optibelt
• Replaced engine air filter
• Flushed fuel system with multiple Techron cleaning treatments
• Replaced frunk struts
• Replaced passenger door speaker with OEM
• Replaced drivers side window regulator
• Replaced drivers & passengers courtesy light bulbs
• Added Covercraft custom fit sunshade (fits behind passenger seat while in use)
• Replaced spark plugs with Beru
• Replaced spark plug tubes
• Replaced keyfob button cover & replaced Porsche logo
• Replaced missing sensor trim near soft top latch point
• Replaced missing lower front fender bumper trim right side
• Replaced broken battery cover retainer
• Replaced broken rubber nut under hood passenger side cover
• Replaced missing Velcro fasting plastic pad for floor mat drivers left
• Cleaned front radiator debris
• Replaced missing trunk liner push button plastic
• Replaced rear deck speakers with Kicker DSC35 custom fit to enclosure
• Replaced worn drivers & passengers AC vent
• Replaced worn drivers door triangle trim piece
• Added short shifter
• Replaced shift cable end
• Replaced shift cable fastener
• Replaced worn hand brake cover on center console
• Replaced broken shift boot retainer plastic trim
• Replaced ash tray with non-smoking kit
• Replaced cigarette lighter with modern fit socket

In changing the oil the filter was inspected and contained no metal shavings. The filter was also inspected every 500 miles since taking ownership and has not exhibited any wear or metal. Due to the age of the car it is presumed to have a double row bearing based on the fact that it uses the earlier style MAF that was changed early in the 2000 model year.

I know I have read several reviews of the audio system on the Boxster via the forums complaining about poor quality. In my opinion with the digital sound processor and the speaker replacements, it sounds great and is more than powerful enough for top down driving. This has been the best sounding audio system I’ve had in a roadster.

The car was purchased from a small boutique dealer outside Atlanta. From a Carfax I ran at the time of purchase (new CarFax also available upon request) it was in a front end accident (driver hit someone else’s rear end) but listed no damage and no airbags deployed. I also (from CarFax) retrieved the accident report that noted no damage. I have inspected the car, had the bumper off for a radiator cleaning, and found no visible damage or visible repairs.

Mechanically the only two known issues with the car are: 1) CD player on dash does not release a CD unless the lid is pushed down, therefore I have only used the CD changer in the frunk to insert/remove CDs. 2) Drivers window fails to drop down correctly even after replacing the regulator. Assume it’s a microswitch issue with the handle. However, it still just clears the soft top frame. Due to the infrequent use I have not addressed as the car sits in the garage with the windows down when parked, and when I drive I only take it out if I can put the top down 90% of the time.

Also, the brake pads are toward the end of their life and will presumably need to be replaced within the next 5,000 miles or so.

The car also has a toll pass on the windshield that will be removed prior to sale.

Exterior condition:

I have cared for the car myself by hand (and with a Porter Cable rotary) since purchase. When washed I use only microfiber products and the two bucket method.

Car products used include:
• Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (yearly)
• Collinite Carnuba Wax #845 (every 4 months)
• Detailers Pro Waterless Wash
• Detailers Pro Wheel Glaze
• Detailers Pro Gloss Tire Gel
• Invisible Glass & Invisible Glass w/Rain-X (for exterior windows)

The paint is in amazing shape for the age of the car, and very hard in my opinion. My wife had a silver Golf and the VW group paint (silver at least) has been the most impressive paint I’ve seen. It holds up incredibly well to the elements and cleans up great.

Being that this car is pushing 16 years old it is no longer perfect, but it is in good shape. There are several road rash marks on the front bumper that have been cleaned up with OEM touch up paint. On the hood there are also a few spots where there are two to three small outward dents (from things in the frunk) and one spot where there was paint removal due to it or a road rash marking. This spot is the most obvious. Photos of it and the front bumper are located below. The two to three small outward dents are impossible to photograph due to their small size and the fact that it’s more of a waviness than a dent visible only at the correct light angle and intensity. If you weren’t looking for them you’d probably never see them.

Similar to the frunk outward dents, there are two to three places on the trunk as well. No obvious dents but instead visible only from the right angle and light intensity as more of a waviness. Impossible to photograph (I tried). Again if you weren’t looking for them you’d probably never see them.

The rims have no significant curb damage or grinding marks but they also have a few nicks in spots.

The red rotor paint is flaking in spots and looking worn, it could use a touch-up when the brakes are replaced next.

Interior condition:

The interior of the car is in surprisingly good shape after I have replaced and repaired several parts mentioned above. When I was looking for cars the biggest disappointment was from the interiors not aging well due to wear. This car is one of the best 16 year old Boxster’s I have seen.

Driver’s seat has some slight wear on the bolster, nothing worn through just the leather color worn. Passenger’s seat is in good shape. Both seats have some leather wear on the rear headrest where they had been pushed against the roll bar in the past, again nothing worn through. Most obvious wear item in the car is the frunk release lever, the silver paint is worn on the top edge. This is visible when opening the door but not when seated with the door closed.

Only non-OEM items in the interior are the driver’s side visor has had the airbag warning removed due to it no longer being legible (still present on passenger side visor). Also, the door arm rests have both been wrapped in leather as this is a high wear item with the original soft touch plastic.

Black carpets are a bit lighter on the back wall and speaker box than in the foot well. For someone who likes to tinker as a hobby this could be re-dyed later along with the leather seats if so desired, or could be left as is since it does not look out of place as is.

Photos:

Many more photos available at: https://flic.kr/s/aHsksFRywc

Additional Info (after initial post):

Title is free & clear, no liens

Last edited by DMage; 02-01-2016 at 04:27 PM. Reason: SOLD
DMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:06 AM   #2
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Although I am not in the market, props to you for that very honest and detailed write up. Nice car. Too bad you can't keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
Although I am not in the market, props to you for that very honest and detailed write up. Nice car. Too bad you can't keep it.
Thanks, as a buyer of private party cars in the past I appreciate a good description and photos. Anything additional requested from folks via email, PM, or phone will be included into the description.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:03 PM   #4

damn.. someone is gonna get a really sweet ride! i would jump on this in a second if i was in the market! good price too!

good luck with the sale!
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
damn.. someone is gonna get a really sweet ride! i would jump on this in a second if i was in the market! good price too!

good luck with the sale!
Thanks, appreciate it!
Old 01-19-2016, 07:23 AM   #6

Managed to find the accident report I obtained through CarFax when I bought the car identifying no damage. Can provide as well to anyone interested.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:59 PM   #7

Saw your car on Orlando CL this weekend while visiting my Son. Props on your write up. Your car looks great and I'm sure you will find a buyer when someone who knows about these cars sees your ad.
side note:
I had an Alfa Spider up for sale many years ago...I wrote up as best/honest description that I could. I had what I though was a serious buyer, asking good questions, not the "what's your lowest price?" type buyer.
I lost them when they found out it wasn't a 4 door car.

Win some, lose some!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Saw your car on Orlando CL this weekend while visiting my Son. Props on your write up. Your car looks great and I'm sure you will find a buyer when someone who knows about these cars sees your ad.
side note:
I had an Alfa Spider up for sale many years ago...I wrote up as best/honest description that I could. I had what I though was a serious buyer, asking good questions, not the "what's your lowest price?" type buyer.
I lost them when they found out it wasn't a 4 door car.

Win some, lose some!
Thanks!

Yeah I am still getting the random "what can you tell me about the car?" emails from CL, gotta love it. Have to assume some are just phishing scams or folks really don't read.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:27 PM   #9

Yeah, don't give up!
I have three boys in college and had 4 convertibles. I put three of them on CL in the fall, wanting to sell at least one (I couldn't make up my mind beyond keeping an 84 Alfa Spider with no rust and 72K mies), I ended up selling a 1999 BMW M Roadster with hardtop to someone in my neighborhood. It took longer than I though it would and longer than any other car I've ever had for sale.

My 2000 Boxster S with 129K miles (not as nice as yours but a very 'needs nothing; car) drew no interest at ~$8,500. No way suggesting you are asking too much as we are in different parts of FL but no doubt the time of the season plays into the interest.

Our 2004 350Z Touring Roadster with 118K mile got some interest but no real offers.

I've decided to wait until spring to decide weather or not to put the cars back up for sale.

At least one of them sold!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:38 AM   #10

One issue is that no IMS fix. Even though it is probably a dual row bearing, with the mileage it needs to be done to sleep well. So, now you have $14,000 in it and with mileage is over market price. Good luck with sale. I would be interested with the IMS done. I think you could get $12,000 with it done. Nice car!!
Old 01-22-2016, 04:05 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle52 View Post
One issue is that no IMS fix. Even though it is probably a dual row bearing, with the mileage it needs to be done to sleep well. So, now you have $14,000 in it and with mileage is over market price. Good luck with sale. I would be interested with the IMS done. I think you could get $12,000 with it done. Nice car!!
If this was a garage queen with 25k miles on it I'd agree with you...generally with this high of mileage the bearing would've already prematurely failed if it was an issue. There are plenty of owners that had over 200k miles or more on their original bearings. Not all of them were bad.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle52 View Post
As mentioned, open to offers. Give me a shout if you are interested. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2016, 10:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
If this was a garage queen with 25k miles on it I'd agree with you...generally with this high of mileage the bearing would've already prematurely failed if it was an issue. There are plenty of owners that had over 200k miles or more on their original bearings. Not all of them were bad.
Agree here, I was concerned about the IMS when I first purchased the car due to all the fear mongering on this site, but after checking it over myself and pulling the oil filter multiple times, with the mileage it became far less of a concern. Though I see how folks who are buying can be nervous, as I was there. Ultimately I agree with your stance, if a car was sitting its at risk due to the (probably) lack of oil changes.