Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 07:18 AM   #1

Very nice 1999 Boxster, New motor.

Lots of info in my craigslist ad, I have more pics and can even deeper into detail of receipts and work done, this really is the best early Boxster for the money. Price is OBO.

Phone number in the ad, email is mikeferg75@hotmail.com

Ferg

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1932668856.html

ferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #2

Price reduction 10,900

new link

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1945333515.html

There is not a better boxster available for this $.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #3

If I can be so humble to offer some suggestions......

Your ad w/ the reference to the replacement motor in the second sentence would scare the s#!t out of me (especially if I wasn't at all familiar w/ Porsches...). You obviously should and will disclose that to a potential buyer but no need to scare them away straight off the bat. In the $10k and sub price range, you'll get a lot of non-Porsche people looking who will likely just move on...

Furthermore, you make this car sound REALLY expensive w/ the $3500 spent TY and $22k spent over all. Plus it comes across as very high maintenance. Hell, now even as a Porsche enthusiast I'm not interested. Well, I wasn't really anyway

So, I say rewrite the ad and only highlight the positives. Leave out the negatives for the live discussions. Oh yeah, and take some better pictures. Tire depth is important, but if you only have 4 shots, it ain't 25% of the decision. Get it out in the sunshine w/ a nice backdrop, turn the wheels and make sure you get a good sparkle reflection and make it look FAST and FUN! Right now it kinda looks like a Dodge Stratus sitting on the used sale lot of Thrifty rental cars....

You need stuff like this to sell that great car - especially so cheaply

Good luck w/ the sale
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #4

I get what you are saying, but I guess different people look at things differently. When I was shopping for this car, I was excited to find one with so much spent on it, and the fact that it had the replacement motor sealed the deal, I would not have bought it without the new motor, and receipts ect.

I'd rather be up front and brutally honest from the get go and educate the unknowing buyer, rather than answer questions only when asked. If you are not a Porsche person, I'll take the time to educate you on what it's like to own one, let's face it, you can't run a Boxster on a Miata budget. But the reward is far greater.

Let's face it, it's a 11 year old car, take the 9k for the new motor out of the 22k figure and you are left with 13k over 11 years, that's only 1200 a year I budget more than that on my vintage 911 for upkeep, and it only gets driven about 1k per year.

I may take some of the cost of ownership figures out of the next ad and see, but so far I've had good response.

BTW I do have many hi rez photos I can send out to anyone interested.

Ferg

Last edited by ferg; 09-13-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:07 AM   #5

Some pics:

Old 09-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #6

More, Interior leather and carpet very nice, nonsmoker

Old 09-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #7

Sold

Thanks Ferg.