Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2023, 08:21 PM   #1

Roll bar spacers?

With the BK roll bar extension costing close to a grand, I had a thought...

Has anyone ever raised the roll bar from where it mounts?

2" thick aluminum plate cut to fit the footprint of the four posts, drilled out to accept bolt spacers for each mounting bolt, and then bolting down the posts on top of this.

At first I thought of using just spacers without the plates, but I am concerned that the compressive forces that would occur in a roll over may be enough to shear them.

Also, out of curiosity - the sheet metal that runs between the front and rear posts on either side, is that structural? The welds between the plates and the bars are pretty stout but the metal is only 1/16th" thick. The location is perfect for mounting a harness bar but it seems like structurally it wouldn't be up to that task (basing that on fia's requirement of backing plates being 1/8" thick)

Best,
Ike

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Old 03-27-2023, 05:17 AM   #2

Garage
$400-500 is the going price for a used one. I think I saw one for sale on Rennlist
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:40 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Does your car have a convertible top still? If it does, mounting the frame of the top 2" higher may cause some issues.

If you are fabricating stuff, why not just make your own version of roll bar extension like the BK bar or your own 4 point bar?

I don't know much regarding structure at the moment, but I did notice that the bolt-in cage in one of my Boxsters is bolted through the structure of the car to heavy plates underneath.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:11 AM   #4

... or lower the seat?
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 05:02 PM   #5

I do still have the soft top. I thought the BK would clear with the top still on? Maybe I'm wrong about that.

Truthfully I can't stand the appearance of the BK extension. It's very much an "afterthought" appearance and I'm trying to keep things aesthetically proper.

My seats are bottomed out already. I could remove the bottom cushions on race day but that still doesn't give me a good solution for proper placement of a harness bar.

What I'm trying to ultimately achieve with this is proper install of schroth 4pt asm belts for both road and track use while making it look factory, and that's simply not possible with the stock setup.

Jon, those plates your referring to are pretty standard when installing aftermarket safety equipment. My (very superficial) understanding is that FIA requires all additional mounts that attach to the vehicle structure (hoops, cages, lap belts, etc) to be reinforced by an additional 1/8 steel plate welded to the body or frame. They don't want us rednecks bending new hoops on the local muffler shop's pipe bender and then welding it to the floor pan lol.

Thanks for the input guys. As always, it's much appreciated.

On a side note, I think it's frustrating that there's no middle ground when it comes to track prepping this car. You're either bone stock, or you're balls deep with a cage.

Old 03-27-2023, 05:37 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
I do still have the soft top. I thought the BK would clear with the top still on? Maybe I'm wrong about that....
Clearance might be good. It's that the frame for the top is mounted to the sides of the roll bar. If you put spacers under the roll bar the whole top will be higher. Probably won't latch at the front or reach the body in the back.

Not insurmountable, but requires more figurin'.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:48 PM   #7

Oh damn, that detail completely escaped me. I'm startin to slip!

Back to the drawing board...

Old 03-28-2023, 03:49 AM   #8

Garage
With the BK bar top functions normally
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:17 AM   #9

race buckets mounted to the floor, safety devices bolt-in roll cage. run with hardtop (ztop, oem) - they won't check broomstick.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:31 PM   #10

Has anyone ever run a cage with the soft top still installed and functioning? I would be open to that idea. Not quite factory look but definitely safer than OEM.

Old 03-28-2023, 05:01 PM   #11

the safety devices cage works with the soft top. and bolt-in so you can keep the main hoop (w roof attached) but remove the lateral bars, etc. (so's you don't crank your noggin).
Old 03-29-2023, 09:02 PM   #12

Hmmmmm.... Jon - do you want to part with that cage?

I've come up with a solution for the harness bar that I'm going to test out for structural integrity in the next few weeks. Purlin clamps (who the hell came up with that name?) are designed to attach tubes without bolts or welds. I can use these to "strap" a harness bar to the the forward uprights on the hoops. I've gotta test how strong they really are - supposedly the working load on these is over 1000 lbs. Im gonna try to rig up two of them to lift the rear end of Wifey's escalade. This should be fun!

Old 03-30-2023, 06:53 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Hmmmmm.... Jon - do you want to part with that cage? ...
Only from my cold dead hands. One of my biggest regrets in selling parts is letting go of a ready to weld in spec Boxster cage from Hanksville Hot rods. I don't think they are available anymore.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:34 AM   #14

like this? ...

Old 03-31-2023, 04:22 AM   #15

That's niiiiice.

I wish these things were still being produced. Is spec boxster racing completely dead?

King, is that for sale? Or are you just showing off

Old 03-31-2023, 05:47 AM   #16

yessir, i'd sell it. problem becomes getting it from where i am to where you are costs as much as the cage.

it still shows as available here ...

https://www.stableenergies.com/Roll-Cage-Kit-Boxster-lsquo97-lsquo04/productinfo/SD-P986/W%2CST%2CBKTS/

Last edited by The Radium King; 03-31-2023 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-31-2023, 06:21 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
yessir, i'd sell it. problem becomes getting it from where i am to where you are costs as much as the cage.

it still shows as available here ...

https://www.stableenergies.com/Roll-Cage-Kit-Boxster-lsquo97-lsquo04/productinfo/SD-P986/W%2CST%2CBKTS/
Nice, I might have to buy another. I didn't expect it to have all of the approvals.

The *Free shipping excludes "oversized products". Do you think it might qualify?
Old 03-31-2023, 07:12 PM   #18

I noticed that too - the listing says both free shipping* and "shipping cannot be calculated until your order is processed" lol. I thought that I had read recently that they had stopped production on these... A phone call may be in order.

Where do the forward mounts attach? Do you drill into the frame there?

Old 03-31-2023, 07:21 PM   #19

Quote:
I noticed that too - the listing says both free shipping* and "shipping cannot be calculated until your order is processed" lol. I thought that I had read recently that they had stopped production on these... A phone call may be in order.

Where do the forward mounts attach? Do you drill into the frame there?

drill through and to do properly put a 4" x 4" backing plate on the other side so that things don't tear through at an inopportune moment. if a street car then carpets to deal with, but part of the lesson to learn: street car or track car - choose one. jack of all trades is master of none.
Old 04-02-2023, 02:14 PM   #20

Ok, here's what I got for hardware options for attaching a harness bar.

First pic - The u shaped cross buckle clamps are my first choice. The seem the strongest option. The only issue is I need to find them in 1.5" to work and I can only find 1.3”. The search continues.

Second pic - The cross pipe clamps are second choice. They're only 1/16" thick but I can easily double them up. They seem also strong but I don't think they will make for a clean looking install. Not my priority, but always a consideration.

Next question - what are these little hoops on the inside of the front post of the roll hoops (3rd pic)? Ive never noticed them before - I'm guessing they're to attach a cargo net or something similar?

Thanks for all the help everyone. Opinions, as always, are appreciated.

Last edited by ike84; 04-02-2023 at 02:41 PM.
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote