Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2019, 03:11 AM   #1
Registered User
 
itsnotanova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bastrop, Tx
Posts: 2,122
I built a rally car, now what?

I turned one of my junkyard boxster's into a rallycross car and want to go racing. I took it out a few weeks ago and had a blast. It's amazing how well a boxster does on rough terrain. It was faster than everything there. Most of the competition isn't that impressive but there were some turbo'd Subaru's and other awd vehicles it beat.

I'm blessed because there's three rallycross tracks within 45 minutes of me and I'm hoping to visit all three soon. My problem with rallycross is that every track I look into is small. So small I probably won't even get out of third gear. I want more options and I want to go faster. This leads me to my question. Do any of you guys know where I can take my rally boxster to race and have fun? It seems Europe has all the fun road courses and over here in the states all we have are these small little tracks built on empty pasture. I can't believe with all the land we have in the US that there's not more races held on empty dirt roads. I'm really hoping someone knows of a race held in the south central US as I live close to Austin Texas. I'm also open to racing in Mexico as my racing partner is from there
__________________
Woody
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:37 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 776
I saw that TV show Aarons Garage, he built a rally car and went to a 3 day or 4 day event. i cant remember where though. I think I have the episode saved will try to see what it says.

Strange rally isnt more popular in the us. How abouts a pic of your rally car?
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:58 AM   #3
Registered User
 
steved0x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 3,810
Bring it down here to FL to The FIRM, road course plus miles of rally stages. They used to run a small rallycross but i don't think they do any longer, but they do have miles of offroad rally stages.

Gorally.com
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:38 AM   #4
Registered User
 
itsnotanova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bastrop, Tx
Posts: 2,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
I saw that TV show Aarons Garage, he built a rally car and went to a 3 day or 4 day event. i cant remember where though. I think I have the episode saved will try to see what it says.

Strange rally isnt more popular in the us. How abouts a pic of your rally car?
I heard he came down here and practiced at a track near me. I've been meaning to look into where I can watch his show. I have a build thread http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/73877-6-months-live-build-thread.html It's not the prettiest thing but that changes today. My race partner want's to make it look better. I'm taking it down to his shop today where it gets transformed back into looking like a Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Bring it down here to FL to The FIRM, road course plus miles of rally stages. They used to run a small rallycross but i don't think they do any longer, but they do have miles of offroad rally stages.

Gorally.com
I forget where you live in Florida but Northern Florida is within my range I would travel. It's surprising to me that Florida has a large rallycross following like it does. Rally racing seems to be more popular in the north where it snows
__________________
Woody
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:22 AM   #5
Registered User
 
steved0x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 3,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I heard he came down here and practiced at a track near me. I've been meaning to look into where I can watch his show. I have a build thread http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/73877-6-months-live-build-thread.html It's not the prettiest thing but that changes today. My race partner want's to make it look better. I'm taking it down to his shop today where it gets transformed back into looking like a Boxster

I forget where you live in Florida but Northern Florida is within my range I would travel. It's surprising to me that Florida has a large rallycross following like it does. Rally racing seems to be more popular in the north where it snows
I am in North FL, where I-10 and I-75 cross and I am:
1 hr from The FIRM (it is east of me)
3 hours from Roebling Road
4 Hours from Sebring

If you time it right you should come down for a few weeks and hit them all
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:07 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I heard he came down here and practiced at a track near me.
I believe it was Rally Ready in Dale, Tx.

Rally Ready
__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page