Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2018, 11:12 AM   #1

Inner CV spitting grease..boot intact

Anybody run into a situation where their inner CV joint spit grease despite the boot being totally intact. No loose clamps, bolts all appear tight although I haven't gotten a chance to check the tightness there.

Any ideas on this?

thanks

Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #2

i get that at the track. everything gets hot, the grease starts to run like water, especially at super high rpms, and some makes it past the boot. heck, i get grease making it the entire length of the axle (it's hollow) and getting on my wheels.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:40 AM   #3

ah ok. I may replace the boots anyway and put some high temp grease in there
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:04 PM   #4

My driver side spits a lot of grease when I am on the track, the car is actually up on stands right not because I am going to remove the axles, clean the old grease, and put redline high temp cv grease and new boots all the way around.

I always figured it was coming from the outer CV joint but coming up through the inner joint and up the axle sounds possible, since that inner one is the one closer to the exhaust (I think?)

I'm doing all 4 and not looking forward to it
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:21 PM   #5

it’s my driver side as well - either we both run a clockwise track, or there is more exhaust heat on the left side. re the axles, i can actually see the grease coming out the end of the axle, so pretty sure coming from the inner cv.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:45 PM   #6

Same problem here: driver's side, no matter how tight I crimped the clamp. It was coming from the outside boot, inner side. So I decided to put a hose clamp instead. No more grease leak and having to clean everything in between events. Was worried about possible out of balance, but I don't feel anything.
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:48 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

I've experienced the same thing. I just cleaned it up and let it be.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:05 PM   #8

I think the problem is the clamp.

Had the problem of cracked boots at high speed (above 250 KM/h) on the Autobahn. Problem was that the clamp wasn't tight enough, so the boot could move. Used other clamps than the much too expensive Porsche ones that need a special plier i don't have. Used clamps with an Oetiker system. Since than no more problems.

Regards
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #9

Same problem on my '06 and pickup truck. I just put a few tight wraps of electrical tape to "seal" it, I'll let you know how I make out !

stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote