986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Inner CV spitting grease..boot intact (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72176)

Quadcammer 05-14-2018 11:12 AM

Inner CV spitting grease..boot intact

Anybody run into a situation where their inner CV joint spit grease despite the boot being totally intact. No loose clamps, bolts all appear tight although I haven't gotten a chance to check the tightness there.

Any ideas on this?

thanks

The Radium King 05-14-2018 11:22 AM

i get that at the track. everything gets hot, the grease starts to run like water, especially at super high rpms, and some makes it past the boot. heck, i get grease making it the entire length of the axle (it's hollow) and getting on my wheels.

Quadcammer 05-14-2018 11:40 AM

ah ok. I may replace the boots anyway and put some high temp grease in there

steved0x 05-14-2018 12:04 PM

My driver side spits a lot of grease when I am on the track, the car is actually up on stands right not because I am going to remove the axles, clean the old grease, and put redline high temp cv grease and new boots all the way around.

I always figured it was coming from the outer CV joint but coming up through the inner joint and up the axle sounds possible, since that inner one is the one closer to the exhaust (I think?)

I'm doing all 4 and not looking forward to it:)

The Radium King 05-14-2018 12:21 PM

it’s my driver side as well - either we both run a clockwise track, or there is more exhaust heat on the left side. re the axles, i can actually see the grease coming out the end of the axle, so pretty sure coming from the inner cv.

AZ986S 05-14-2018 06:45 PM

Same problem here: driver's side, no matter how tight I crimped the clamp. It was coming from the outside boot, inner side. So I decided to put a hose clamp instead. No more grease leak and having to clean everything in between events. Was worried about possible out of balance, but I don't feel anything.

thstone 05-14-2018 07:48 PM

I've experienced the same thing. I just cleaned it up and let it be.

Smallblock454 05-14-2018 09:05 PM

I think the problem is the clamp.

Had the problem of cracked boots at high speed (above 250 KM/h) on the Autobahn. Problem was that the clamp wasn't tight enough, so the boot could move. Used other clamps than the much too expensive Porsche ones that need a special plier i don't have. Used clamps with an Oetiker system. Since than no more problems.

Regards

stephen wilson 05-15-2018 11:22 AM

Same problem on my '06 and pickup truck. I just put a few tight wraps of electrical tape to "seal" it, I'll let you know how I make out !