Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #1

GSR Power Steering Delete Pulley manufacturer?

I am converting to an electric power steering pump (TRW). I have no A/C, so i need a dummy power steering pulley to run my accesory belt.

Unfortunately, GSR is no longer around. My options are to gut the stock power steering pump or fab an 1/2" aluminum plate and mount a 3"/76MM pulley with a sealed bearing that can run with 6PK belt.

It would be great if I could figure out where GSR sourced their pulley. My guess is that it is a plastic Porsche, BMW, Audi, Dayco, or Gates pulley that is compatble with a 6PK belt. I just can't tell with the pics of their pulley on the web where they sourced it from. Does anybody have their kit? There must be some part numbers or identifiers on the pulley that would indicate where they source it from. If I could get this information, it would save me a ton of time trying to locate an alternative pulley.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pierre

Last edited by SoloPierre; 06-17-2017 at 03:48 PM.
SoloPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:40 PM   #2

I have a GSR kit that I haven'd installed, so I took a look.

The mount itself is aluminum, has a GSR logo on it and looks to be something they had CNC'd up. It is a simple triangle mount with three mounting bolts. The pulley looks to be an aluminum BMW or Porsche pulley. One bolt center, threads into the mount.

No part numbers anywhere, but would be a simple fab.
MaxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:06 PM   #3

MaxD,

Thanks for the info. I have access to a machine shop, so fabbing up the aluminum mount will be easy. Just trying to save some time sourcing a pulley. The pic of the GSR pulley on the web does look like a BMW part. I will continue the search. If i cant find anything, I will just use a gates or dayco pulley.

Pierre
Old 06-22-2017, 02:15 PM   #4

Micheal Essa is the former owner of GSR, contact Essa Autosports
Essa Autosport | Anaheim, CA 92802 | info@essaautosport.com
bkovac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:40 PM   #5

i've a gutted pump that i can weigh if you like. just waiting for the right sized socket to get the valve assembly out. hey, it's free, robust, not that heavy (heavier than an idler puller, however) and you don't need to get a new belt.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:46 PM   #6

I'm running a gutted pump. Not elegant, but works.
Deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:21 PM   #7

Thanks for the info. everybody.

Radium King, if it's not a big deal, can you weigh the gutted pump? If I fab a dummy pulley, I am thinking it will be around 2-3lbs.

bkovac, thanks for the contact info for Michael Essa. I will ping him to see you if he can remember what car he sourced the pulley from.

I have a couple of other projects I have finish up on the M3 before I start on the pulley. I am hoping to get it done sometime in July. I also plan to tackle a custom aluminum mount for the electric pump at the same time. Placing it on the passenger shelf in the frunk instead the floor so I can still use the frunk for transporting stuff.

Pierre
Old 06-23-2017, 06:40 PM   #8

when i got my pump it came with the mounting bracket, and with a bit of bending i was able to make it fit that location quite nicely. i'll try to get you a pic of that as well.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:20 PM   #9

ok, so gutted pump (less the valve - don't have the proper size socket to get that out) weighs 3 lbs without the pulley on. and here's a crap shot of the mounting bracket that came with the pump, bent to fit the frunk ...

Old 06-24-2017, 02:26 AM   #10

What are you all doing about the hydraulic fittings at the rack end? Chopping the old pipes and crimping the end fittings onto some braided hose?

Hergesheimer sell the ends custom turned. Look nice
jimk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:31 AM   #11

Plenty of cheap 6pk idlers available

Look at this on eBay AUDI TT TT ROADSTAR Fan Belt Tensioner Pulley - V - Ribbed Belt Idler | eBay

Just need to sort a stud out. You may find a studded one if you keep looking
Old 06-24-2017, 02:33 AM   #12

Here we go. Mercedes-Benz part

Look at this on eBay Gates Belt Idler Pulley Alternator for MERCEDES W163 2.7 CDI ML270 OM612 163bhp
Old 06-24-2017, 07:53 AM   #13

if you do end up fabricating a pulley, perhaps make a few; appears to be a need. ditto mounting bracket. martsink 3d printed one for floor mounting (like the GSR unit) but no no feedback on how it held up.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:29 AM   #14

I would be interested in a pulley if you decide to make some extra...
Kroggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:54 AM   #15

Did you guys not see the ebay links....they are out there...no need to fab your own
Old 06-24-2017, 12:16 PM   #16

not the pulley but the mounting plate. w an ebay pulley installed w proper alignment, etc. just easier (esp for those w/o immediate access to a machine shop).
Old 06-24-2017, 05:44 PM   #17

Radium King, Thanks again for the info and the pic of the TRW pump bracket.

I'll first tackle the pulley mount. I plan to duplicate the GSR pulley mount. 1/2" Aluminum stock with a 70-76MM plastic pullley. Should be an easy fab - just need to get the alignment right and pick out the right length 6PK belt. If it turns out well, I will make some extra. Just need to finish up some other projects before I can start on this one.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:36 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
ok, so gutted pump (less the valve - don't have the proper size socket to get that out) weighs 3 lbs without the pulley on. and here's a crap shot of the mounting bracket that came with the pump, bent to fit the frunk ...

Be very careful drilling in that spot the gas tank is directly under that spot.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:43 AM   #19

Garage

Same location with the pump GSR originally sold. In stalled a crimp in nut in the base careful not to drill tank.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 10-30-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:21 AM   #20

Garage
http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/43501-electric-water-pump-electric-ps-pump.html

This Old post shows the pulley.